NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A British Muslim Journey From Protest to Engagement

Go down

A British Muslim Journey From Protest to Engagement Empty A British Muslim Journey From Protest to Engagement

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:04 am

Growing up in the East End of London exposed me to two significant trends in British Muslim life: isolationist or reactionary. All too often as a teenager searching for identity in London's melting pot, I came into contact with Muslim organizations that either isolated themselves from the material trappings of wider society or those that would react to what they saw as injustices against the global Muslim community. In my youth, I saw advantages and disadvantages to both. Undoubtedly, both shaped who I am today. Even as I grew beyond them, I learned that we British Muslims must forge a homegrown identity for ourselves, one that is inclusive, respectful of difference, and eager to reach out in cooperation.

I believe in this strongly, because I have learnt the limitations of reactionism and isolationism. Muslims in the UK are often in the spotlight for the wrong reasons and the way to challenge this negative caricature is through engagement, not only because it is good for the Muslim community, but because it is good for Britain. If we are to prevent radicalization, Muslim disenfranchisement, and a generation of disengaged youth left vulnerable to fundamentalist ideology, we must find a way forward, and engagement and mutual cooperation lie at the heart of the answer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/muddassar-ahmed/a-british-Muslim-journey_b_6725846.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down