NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Broke Racists

Go down

2 Broke Racists   Empty 2 Broke Racists

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:14 pm

AMERICAN comedy show 2 Broke Girls has been called out by Australian viewers for a ‘joke’ made about Indigenous Australians.

The offensive remark occurred during the first five minutes into the season 4 episode titled “And the Fun Factory”, which aired on Channel Nine on Tuesday night and was watched by 324,000 people.

In the scene a male character reveals that he has been flirting with an Australian girl online and says: “She’s part Aboriginal, but she has a great personality!”

Leisa, 31, from Adelaide was watching with her husband at the time and says she was horrified by the remark.

“I’m not a huge fan of the show, but we just happened to be watching the telly when the episode came one,” she told news.com.au, “we (my husband and I) both just stopped and stared at the TV. We couldn’t believe it had aired on our screens. We were both like what the hell? You can’t say that about our national people.”

“They were inferring that Aboriginal means inferior. The other characters laughed like it was the funniest thing they had ever heard.”

Leisa said she is not indigenous, but said: “I do actually have several friends who are Aboriginal, and family members who have Aboriginal heritage as well.

“I just think, any kind of racism against any person when it’s celebrated like it’s a joke, it’s just not OK.”

Leisa asked: “Doesn’t someone watch it before it goes to air so that we know it meets our code of practice?”

Another viewer who saw the episode posted the following on social media forum Reddit: “So I was just watching 2 Broke Girls (Don’t judge me, it was on in the background) and a scene came up where the guy they were working with (an Asian caricature basically) was talking to them about a girl he’s flirting with online, saying “She’s part Aboriginal, but she has a great personality!”

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/broke-girls-slammed-for-aboriginal-joke/story-fnk8579h-1227228103407
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down