NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us

3 posters

Go down

Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us Empty Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us

Post by Guest Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:47 pm

2.7m Muslims in England and Wales - 4.8% of population
33% aged 15 or under
68% of Asian descent
8% are of white ethnicity
47% born in Britain, 36% in the Middle East and Asia
6% say they are struggling to speak English
37% of Muslims live in London
20% are in full-time employment (compared to 35% of the general population)(because of the % that are under 15)

The report shows that while 47% of Muslims in England and Wales were born in the UK, 73% state their only national identity is British, and only 6% of Muslims say they are struggling to speak English.

Support for the research was provided by the race equality think tank the Runnymede foundation, whose director Omar Khan argues the report is important in making it clear to the public that Muslims do not have a problem with "British values" or identifying with Britain.

"It nails some significant myths about Muslims," said Mr Khan, "The number of Muslims - which is often exaggerated, how proud Muslims are to be British, how well they fit in and the narrative around British values. They're proud to call themselves British, don't have allegiances to other countries in any major way and they don't have any confusion around where their identity lies."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31435929

My word, we are being overrun by 4.8% of the population! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us Empty Re: Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us

Post by Original Quill Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:05 am

Xlnt report...short, concise to the point.

I am surprised that so many cluster around London. When we took in so many SE Asians in the 70's and 80's they went all over the place...a lot in the south, which I wouldn't have expected.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us Empty Re: Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:54 pm

piffle...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:02 pm

darknessss wrote:piffle...

Haha, why don't you bless us with the real facts, Dark Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:02 pm

look who made that "report"

the Muslim council of great britain no less

well THAT makes it reliable and trustworthy then.....

these people being a group that actually back sharia law "here"

IF only 6% have a "problem speaking english" could I ask WHY ...twice in my life I have HAD to ask for a change of doctor....because I had difficulty understanding him???

oh they mat well have spoken excellent english.....but I'll be buggered if I could actually tell so....because their accents were appalling (and DONT give me the guff about not being able to change accent.....)

so speaking it is one thing...speaking it USEABLY is another....

and.....also ...if only 6% struggle with english....why ...when you get 3 or 4 of em together do they insist on speaking (martian????)

if they speak english then they should do so to do otherwise is just plain rude....

If I go abroad to a country whos language I can speak to a "useable level" I SPEAK IT.....

french....german

dutch (though not so much)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:09 pm

They probably want to talk about what a git you are, but not cause offense Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us 2984306523
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:16 pm

yeah so in fact I can rightly assume that since they do so, they are ignorant antisocial and downright rude??
OR have something to hide
ok......

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:16 pm

darknessss wrote:yeah so in fact I can rightly assume that since they do so, they are ignorant antisocial and downright rude??
ok......

Come on, why else are they speaking a language around you they assume you don't understand? Smile It ain't rocket surgery.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:18 pm

It's based on the census and has been verified.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:25 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
darknessss wrote:yeah so in fact I can rightly assume that since they do so, they are ignorant antisocial and downright rude??
ok......

Come on, why else are they speaking a language around you they assume you don't understand? Smile It ain't rocket surgery.

exactly...so Its perfectly fair for me to assume they are pig ignorant and/or potentially dangerous and to treat them as such....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 pm

I'll remember to tell that to the Welsh people who speak in Welsh when I go to Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:27 pm

And of course, really dangerous, the broad Geordies who I can't uinderstand a word of what they are saying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:27 pm

risingsun wrote:It's based on the census and has been verified.

By who...I can make statistics (which is all the census info is) say anything

indeed did you know that going by the census info there are a significant number of Jedi about.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:30 pm

No, the census can't be twisted to show anything, it can only show the number of people, where they live, their religion and their age and if they are working or not. The employment rate with Muslims is low because a huge portion of them are under 15 and many of the mothers don't work.

Yes, I know it showed Jedi, as I said, if they say it's their religion it shows it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:34 pm

risingsun wrote:I'll remember to tell that to the Welsh people who speak in Welsh when I go to Wales.

now sass...dont be a donkey......they are in their own country and can speak their native and NATIONAL language if they wish....

of couse those visitors that DONT EVEN TRY to manage at least the pleasantries of the day in welsh ARE the rude ones.

Its amazing how much more friendly the already welcoming north wales folk are for the saying of "Bore Da"

and if you can manage "os gwelwch yn dda" (please) and "diolch" (thanks) or more formally "diolch i chi" (thank you)

so much the better.....

just a few words eh?

but No sass...not the same scenario.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:36 pm

Yes it is, you were saying they were using their language to hide what they are saying. I've know the Welsh do that many times. So what if it's their national language, they are British after all Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:38 pm

risingsun wrote:And of course, really dangerous, the broad Geordies who I can't uinderstand a word of what they are saying.

they are just as bloody ignorant.....(unless you happen to be in geordie land of course... but then if you MUST visit primitive places......)
and besides...if you bothered to learn a little dutch........

and moreover that is a regional dialect...which has been around for years....

the POINT is apparently ONLY 6% have a problem with english...so WHY be so bloody rude as to NOT use it when out in public?????

and YES the same DOES apply to british expats abroad...ignorant pillocks all of em that dont learn and use the local language....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Why not? It's their first language that they are the most comfortable with. The Poles do it, the Germans do it etc etc and we bloody do it when we are abroad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:42 pm

darknessss wrote:
risingsun wrote:I'll remember to tell that to the Welsh people who speak in Welsh when I go to Wales.

now sass...dont be a donkey......they are in their own country and can speak their native and NATIONAL language if they wish....

of couse those visitors that DONT EVEN TRY to manage at least the pleasantries of the day in welsh ARE the rude ones.

Its amazing how much more friendly the already welcoming north wales folk are for the saying of "Bore Da"

and if you can manage "os gwelwch yn dda" (please) and "diolch" (thanks) or more formally "diolch i chi" (thank you)

so much the better.....

just a few words eh?

but No sass...not the same scenario.....

I tried to say those Welsh words and now my tongue's bleeding, thanks ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:42 pm

risingsun wrote:Yes it is, you were saying they were using their language to hide what they are saying.  I've know the Welsh do that many times.  So what if it's their national language, they are British after all Rolling Eyes

No Sass you are wrong this time....welsh is their native language...they only speak primarily english because WE (english) forced them to and almost destroyed the welsh linguistic heritage....they have a right to there own language and to use it within their own "region"

and how do YOU know what the welsh were saying ?

the little i can understand being spoken has ALL been the days trivia....and nice to hear it, it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:45 pm

risingsun wrote:Why not?  It's their first language that they are the most comfortable with.  The Poles do it, the Germans do it etc etc and we bloody do it when we are abroad.

If I speak the language of the country I am a guest in ...I use that language as much as I can....if i am having difficulty...I ask ......
so french german dutch i can manage a fair bit of...
a bit of spanish and italian

a bit of greek......

if its only good morning/evening/night
and please or thank you......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:45 pm

I honestly fail to understand why people get worked up about someone using their first language and see a nefarious reason for it. Personally I find a big grin and a shoulder shrug gets over the problem and everyone tries to get everyone else to understand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:47 pm

darknessss wrote:
risingsun wrote:Why not?  It's their first language that they are the most comfortable with.  The Poles do it, the Germans do it etc etc and we bloody do it when we are abroad.

If I speak the language of the country I am a guest in ...I use that language as much as I can....if i am having difficulty...I ask ......
so french german dutch i can manage  a fair bit of...

a bit of greek......

That's great, I don't, I have a problem learning languages, took me 3 weeks to learn to say how are you in one and I'd forgetten it the next day. Good at many subject, foreign languages go straight over my head.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:49 pm

os gwelwch yn dda

os goo-eh-luck un tha

diolch

de-olk

Bore Da

exactly as it says but try to roll the "r" a little

s'easy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:50 pm

risingsun wrote:
darknessss wrote:

so french german dutch i can manage  a fair bit of...

a bit of greek......

That's great, I don't, I have a problem learning languages, took me 3 weeks to learn to say how are you in one and I'd forgetten it the next day.  Good at many subject, foreign languages go straight over my head.

uhm...if you only had one arm you wouldnt try juggling would you.....so..........

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:52 pm

oh and if you are talking about the far eastern languages and like some of the eastern european ones...you dont speak em...you chew em or sneeze em...... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:53 pm

Hmmm! Not quite sure, but I think you are being rude lol. Give me a speech to write, or mathmatical problems to solve, or electrics or engineering, foreign language does not compute with me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:54 pm

darknessss wrote:oh and if you are talking about the far eastern languages and like some of the eastern european ones...you dont speak em...you chew em or sneeze em...... Laughing

Now that's true lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:54 pm

risingsun wrote:I honestly fail to understand why people get worked up about someone using their first language and see a nefarious reason for it.   Personally I find a big grin and a shoulder shrug gets over the problem and everyone tries to get everyone else to understand.

the POINT in case you missed it is....

"apparantly" (according to those statistics) ONLY 6% have trouble speaking english

SO....why dont the other 94% USE the language they "apparantly" have no trouble with???????????????

like erm...what price integration....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:56 pm

risingsun wrote:Hmmm!  Not quite sure, but I think you are being rude lol.  Give me a speech to write, or mathmatical problems to solve, or electrics or engineering, foreign language does not compute with me.

the implication was ...if you cant learn the language of wherever you are going (to live...remember these guys are NOT visitors) then DONT....(go there to live)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:57 pm

They mostly do unless they are talking between themselves, or in your case if the person looks unfriendly Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us 112848305 I can honestly say I have never had that problem. I simply say, really sorry, useless and languages, I'll use hand language if you like, they laugh and revert to English.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:58 pm

darknessss wrote:
risingsun wrote:Hmmm!  Not quite sure, but I think you are being rude lol.  Give me a speech to write, or mathmatical problems to solve, or electrics or engineering, foreign language does not compute with me.

the implication was ...if you cant learn the language of wherever you are going (to live...remember these guys are NOT visitors) then DONT....(go there to live)

No way hosea, I'd never go anywhere and lived in so many places. Very good at getting people to understand me without words.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:03 pm

Para mi, el espanol no ha sido tan dificil porque muchas de sus palabras son similares de las de Ingles. Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us 3032714519
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:05 pm

and half of understading a language is to understand its origins and how it changed

for instance about half of dutch is actually "old english"

e.g.

wijf....wife

if you remember that the continental "j" is in fact pronounced as we do in You and makes I the hard I as in I am rather than I as in Ink (which function is done by the last "e" in wife) then you can see how easy it is Laughing when you know how the language works ......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:05 pm

más fácil con holandés .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:06 pm

dunno about the grammar though????????

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:07 pm

Spanish?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:07 pm

darknessss wrote:dunno about the grammar though????????

Grammar is definitely tougher in a lot of cases than vocabulary. The toughest I could imagine, though, would be learning a language that's totally unrelated to Indo-European, like an East Asian or African language.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:10 pm

risingsun wrote:They mostly do unless they are talking between themselves, or in your case if the person looks unfriendly Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us 112848305   I can honestly say I have never had that problem.  I simply say, really sorry, useless and languages, I'll use hand language if you like, they laugh and revert to English.  

question ...why should I have to appologise for not understanding their FOREIGN tongue in MY country....

if a group of em were talking in whatever brand of whatever . and then asked me something in english I SWEAR i'd shrug my shoulders and say....."me no speekee inglish"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Grammar is definitely tougher in a lot of cases than vocabulary. The toughest I could imagine, though, would be learning a language that's totally unrelated to Indo-European, like an East Asian or African language.
the cyrillic languages can be difficult though I can cope with greek.... the worst I would immagine as you say would be those languages which use a huge amount of tonal variation...say japanese....

I recn "mein hamster is tot" would be mild by comparison to what i could mince those languages up into...

I recon theres every chance that what i wanted to say would be "two beers please"
what I actually would say is ...your mother was a hamster.........

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

yep and grammar is a nightmare...although I have a fair dutch vocab....i drive the dutch guild members in WOW into hysterics of laughter at times with my grammar.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:16 pm

Only thing I ever learnt that stuck was how to say 'hello how are you' in Tunisian Arabic. Not spelt like it, but sounds like Ashliba la Bishe. (Tunisian Arabic is mixed with French)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:17 pm

which is fun...because I'm in a dutch guild..... Muslims in Britain: What figures tell us 3489511464

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:17 pm

darknessss wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

the cyrillic languages can be difficult though I can cope with greek.... the worst I would immagine as you say would be those languages which use a huge amount of tonal variation...say japanese....

I recn "mein hamster is tot" would be mild by comparison to what i could mince those languages up into...

I recon theres every chance that what i wanted to say would be "two beers please"
what I actually would say is ...your mother was a hamster.........

Really interesting to compare languages, it tells you a lot about the history of the people who speak them. Some are so close it's almost ridiculous:

Tres botellas de jugo

Three bottles of juice
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:19 pm

risingsun wrote:Only thing I ever learnt that stuck was how to say 'hello how are you' in Tunisian Arabic.  Not spelt like it, but sounds like Ashliba la Bishe.  (Tunisian Arabic is mixed with French)

hmmm...I bet the LITERAL translation of that will come out something like how goes the day....or how goes the life

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:23 pm

More back to the topic, though, Dark, I think you're raging against something that has happened throughout history. Welsh is a minority language in Argentina; should they have forced Welsh to go extinct there, or celebrated that as one of the things that makes their country unique?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:28 pm

who is forcing anythiung to go extinct???

do the welsh bus drivers over there pretend they dont speak the majority language in argentina (spanish or portuguese?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:32 pm

do the welsh over there demand the "halal" equivalent of leeks when the rest find that quite wrong

do the welsh over there demand "special schools" which promote what would normally be considered a retrograde and oppressive attitude to females and which if practiced by the native would result in divorce and quite likely imprisonment (not saying some primitives dont ty it ..but IF thet get caught......)

NOT the same cultural clash sadly for your argument......

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:04 am

There were cultural clashes (some violent) when they first settled, of course. By now, the Welsh and Argentines have learned to live in harmony.

You see where I'm going with this?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down