NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot?

4 posters

Go down

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? Empty Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot?

Post by Caution Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:27 am

I'm still learning the ins and outs of photography after getting a DSLR a couple of years ago, but I am having the most fun taking pictures of nature but urban settings are so much fun with the wide array of colors and shapes. I want to get into doing macro photography so I picked up some macro tubes recently, along with a polarizer filter and a battery-to-wall adapter for time-lapse stuff.

Actually I finally bit the bullet last week on a tripod and ball mount after sitting on the fence for weeks and months on what to get. It took a long time to get a clear picture(hah!) of what worked best for me because it just works that way with photo gear. There are so many parameters that it can get difficult. I'm 6'1" and that alone pits comfort (leaning over to look through the viewfinder all the time) against portability. I'm not doing that to my back, so I got a slightly taller one made of carbon fiber. I also want to get a speedlight flash and some different lenses, but that's going to take another round of research!

As some of you might already know, I'm visited daily by the neighborhood squirrels because I own a squirrel restaurant:

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? 9796273026_fe8bdc635c_o

Here's one of my oldest and most vocal customers. From the looks of her, she's tired of feeding babies!

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? 9796427823_b54ee87ce1_z
Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? 9796351455_15ed33cdea_z
Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? 9796365324_4d208f5238_z
Caution
Caution
the Ghost who mods, Lord of the Shadow realms, *may contain peanuts

Back to top Go down

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? Empty Re: Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot?

Post by veya_victaous Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:35 pm

those pics are quite good
and squirrels are cute (we don't have them here)

I have been thinking about getting a decent camera and trying my hand at some nature photography Wink 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? Empty Re: Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot?

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:52 pm

Woo-hoo, photography! I shoot high-school sports for work and not much for a hobby, though I recently took the camera (Canon 7D, almost always fitted with a 70-200 2.8f zoom on it and a high-performance CF card) to the Fort Worth Zoo. Here's some of my stuff (sorry if some of these are too big):

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? 65e1b783-4089-4f5d-ba3d-a395aab7b24a_zps9e13c9c0

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? IMG_1946_zps03ad8169

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? IMG_2571_zps36cd4109

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? IMG_2591_zps73b8b3c7

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? IMG_2748_zps73536e83

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? IMG_3093_zpscdbd0348

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? IMG_3360_zps74edf606

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? IMG_3494_zps157cbcf0

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? IMG_3543_zps163b7529
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? Empty Wow.

Post by Caution Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Absolutely fantastic shots! I can't wait to post some new stuff with my new toys :-)
Caution
Caution

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:06 am

Thanks! Have to confess, I'm pretty jealous of that granular detail you captured. What's your camera?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? Empty Totally forgot!

Post by Caution Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:03 am

Nikon D7000. It's a fantastic camera. I use either the 18-200mm or this 50mm prime. Actually I left out an even more detailed zoom of her eye, you can see some blue sky, the rails and their shadows, the portable air conditioner vent with the spacer above it, and a bit of the deck.

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? 9796365094_f1e000ac2d_o
Caution
Caution

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:55 am

@lurker
Now you just have to capture the Image you want in the refelction of a squirrls eye.
..... I'm pretty sure thats art. study 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:53 am

Man, that is one fantastic camera. One of my favorite shooters used those -- recently left for a legal job in Colorado, and I did appreciate his photos, even if he had no eye for moments. My problem is that my tutor was a Canon devotee, but I might have to commit a sacrilege one of these days Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? Empty Ugh!

Post by Caution Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:21 pm

No fair, I wrote a lengthy post last night and swore it posted. Oh well, maybe I'll try to remember everything I said and type it out again today. Erg.
Caution
Caution

Back to top Go down

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? Empty Screw it I'll do it now

Post by Caution Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:35 pm

It's really impressive the amount of features it has, and how responsive it is. Just fun to shoot. I probably could've gotten more detail if I'd been using a sharper lens and tried to focus better. Original

I had Canon for a bit but did not like the ergonomics and layout of controls. So yeah, the upgrade to my body, the Nikon D7100, is available right now with the same 18-200mm lens at Costco and online some places for $1750, that's a great price for what you get. Will hold its value too. I'm also impressed at the way prices have been falling on full-frame sensor bodies, I'd sure love a full sensor for even more detail but right now that's just going too far on the price-to-usefulness scale. My next big purchase will probably be a better lens, but I could go so many directions that I need to spend more time shooting.

Do you ever do video with the camera or do you use a dedicated camcorder for that? I picked up a four-channel field recorder to replace the in-camera mic with the idea that I'd like to do some surround/multitrack stuff.
Caution
Caution

Back to top Go down

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? Empty Yep

Post by Caution Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:16 am

Ouch, yeah the wind is a killer, something I'd imagine would be tough to get away from on a camera, short of gluing a little foam earbud pad over the hole for the mic :-) My mic came with a foam windbreaker you can wrap over the end of it.

It's a risk not monitoring. You wouldn't shoot video without a viewfinder so why not audio? I got a Y-cable that expands the headphone jack on the recorder to also go to the mic input of the camera, that's got the correct attenuation built in to go from line level to mic level (it's even tweaked for particular models) so you don't have to do sync it up with the video later.

I'm not sure why the narration is so quiet, but it's always good to normalize before you cash out from the editor :-) I enjoyed the report!

Caution
Caution

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:46 pm

The funny thing is, it sounds way better on my computer than on any other I've seen it on (which is actually just two or three others). I've wondered if my sound card does something funny to audio before that happened as well. Oh, and glad you liked it! Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? Hi_wav18 Bee! Good to see you here! x

We're fairly recently invested in a Fuji S8500 16MP 46x Optical Zoom Bridge Camera.  We've really enjoyed using it and got some great shots too.  A great "inbetween" digital camera that won't break the bank either!  They go out of date so quickly don't they.

Photography fun! What gear do you use and what do you like to shoot? 503233

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down