NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charlie Hebdo: Paris attack brothers' campaign of terror can be traced back to Algeria in 1954

Go down

Charlie Hebdo: Paris attack brothers' campaign of terror can be traced back to Algeria in 1954  Empty Charlie Hebdo: Paris attack brothers' campaign of terror can be traced back to Algeria in 1954

Post by Guest Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:56 am

Algeria is the post-colonial wound that still bleeds in France

Algeria. Long before the identity of the murder suspects was revealed by the French police – even before I heard the names of Cherif and Said Kouachi – I muttered the word “Algeria” to myself. As soon as I heard the names and saw the faces, I said the word “Algeria” again. And then the French police said the two men were of “Algerian origin”.

For Algeria remains the most painful wound within the body politic of the Republic – save, perhaps, for its continuing self-examination of Nazi occupation – and provides a fearful context for every act of Arab violence against France. The six-year Algerian war for independence, in which perhaps a million and a half Arab Muslims and many thousands of French men and women died, remains an unending and unresolved agony for both peoples. Just over half a century ago, it almost started a French civil war.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/charlie-hebdo-paris-attack-brothers-campaign-of-terror-can-be-traced-back-to-algeria-in-1954-9969184.html

Back to top Go down