NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”

+6
veya_victaous
Lone Wolf
Irn Bru
eddie
Ben Reilly
Lurker
10 posters

Go down

“Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”  Empty “Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”

Post by Lurker Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:04 pm

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/according_to_the_dictionary_literally_now_also_means_figuratively_newscred/

Much has been made of the use, misuse and overuse of the word “literally.”

Literally, of course, means something that is actually true: “Literally every pair of shoes I own was ruined when my apartment flooded.”

When we use words not in their normal literal meaning but in a way that makes a description more impressive or interesting, the correct word, of course, is “figuratively.”

But people increasingly use “literally” to give extreme emphasis to a statement that cannot be true, as in: “My head literally exploded when I read Merriam-Webster, among others, is now sanctioning the use of literally to mean just the opposite.”
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

“Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”  Empty Re: “Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:45 pm

This trend me has literally my pounding head the into wall point to the can't I straight think. “Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”  2396444674

It's figuratively very frustrating to see.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

“Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”  Empty Re: “Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:22 am

Was it literal or figurative that you put the (possessive) noun before the verb?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:25 am

Original Quill wrote:Was it literal or figurative that you put the (possessive) noun before the verb?

Tried to write the whole thing as though I had concussion from the head vs. wall thing Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:15 am

Literally is one of those misused and over-used words nowadays like "random"
Everything is "random" now apparently.

Speaking of words and pet hates - I hate it when people say "could of" instead of "could have"

And don't get me started on "your" and "you're"
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:35 am

eddie wrote:Literally is one of those misused and over-used words nowadays like "random"

Speaking of words and pet hates - I hate it when people say "could of" instead of "could have"

Preach it sista! I've got reporters turning in stories with quotes that read "could've" or "should've." I always go ahead and edit in that pesky "ha" ...

The your/you're thing is how I decide who to be friends with, actually. If you can't name more than four Beatles songs, don't know you're/your (or they're/their/there) and can't name the countries the U.S. fought in the Revolution and WWII, I want nothing to do with you Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:39 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Literally is one of those misused and over-used words nowadays like "random"

Preach it sista! I've got reporters turning in stories with quotes that read "could've" or "should've." I always go ahead and edit in that pesky "ha" ...

The your/you're thing is how I decide who to be friends with, actually. If you can't name more than four Beatles songs, don't know you're/your (or they're/their/there) and can't name the countries the U.S. fought in the Revolution and WWII, I want nothing to do with you Smile

That is pure dead brilliant so it is.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:51 am

Irn Bru wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

cheers cheers cheers

Thanks Irn, I like you too Smile (not "to"!)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:56 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

cheers cheers cheers

Thanks Irn, I like you too Smile (not "to"!)

Ah like you two Ben. So lets all do the Hokey Cokey.

cheers cheers cheers
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:56 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

I can't name the countries Sad

Your not going to like me! We could of been so close!
I don't want to loose you!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:01 am

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I can't name the countries Sad

Your not going to like me! We could of been so close!
I don't want to loose you!

Loose, forgot that one!!!!11 You're OK in my book, edds Smile

'Course, my rule is really just for Americans ... the Brit version could be something like knowing what year what Mr. Bean showed the Vicar 'is bum, like ...

I like a corollary my friend once added to this, for dating -- take a date to a cinema with hard floors (no carpet) and during the quietest part of the movie, spill your entire thingy of M&Ms so that they roll down to the front, making as much noise as possible.

If your date doesn't laugh, move on Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:57 am

Hahahahahahha see I'm like that with burps!
If a man can burp my name and a small sentience like "Make us a cuppa edds"

Well, I'm smitten cheers
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:49 pm

People don't seem to recognize the perfect and perfect/progressive verb forms, to be and to have. I think the confusion comes from use of the contraction. He is and he has, when contracted become He's. Then when they uncontract the form, they always use the 'is' verb. So 'he has' becomes 'he is' and these ridiculous sentences come out. What should be 'He has been a good player...' becomes 'He is been a good player...'

Drives me crazy.

And I hate the there-their-they're and the your-you're confusion, too. But it's primarily because my own dyslexic brain often types that mistake without realizing it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Quill there's always mistakes to be made but some people type through ignorance and even if you point it out they continue to be ignorant.

I tell you another one I hate:

He's and his

"His had a great time!"

Arrrrgh! No you muppet! "He's had a great time!"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:57 pm

OR...when they uncontract, they say: He is had a great time.  Should be: He has had a great time.  That's an example of my beef with verb misuse.  Drives me crazy. The problem is that informal English uses 'He's" as a contraction for both 'he is' and 'he has'...people forget what is the proper root verb.

And also...try who's and whose.

Also: those who use the phrase: "Drives me crazy." Razz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:OR...when they uncontract, they say: He is had a great time.  Should be: He has had a great time.  That's an example of my beef with verb misuse.  Drives me crazy.  The problem is that informal English uses 'He's" as a contraction for both 'he is' and 'he has'...people forget what is the proper root verb.

And also...try who's and whose.

Also: those who use the phrase: "Drives me crazy."  Razz

Yes! That drives me crazy......
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by eddie Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Exclamation

THIS COULD be a good time to remind people that nobody of any consequence outside of the USA could really in any way consider Merriam-Webster to be a genuine 'dictionary' these days...

THAT particular Lexicology association lost the plot a long, long time ago..

AFTER all, what business does anyone who can't even correctly spell their own name [i.e. 'Miriam'..] have in even being connected to the development and publication of a dictionary ?

THE fact that American dictionaries by and large ignore the Etymology of words probably also goes a long way in helping to demonstrate just how often they get things wrong..   Especially with that mob who can't even spell their own name properly !!!

Arrow

Wolfie, have you seen the english comedian Michael Macyntire do a sketch about people's names and their spellings?
If you haven't, Google it.
You'll love it :-)
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Bwahaha, Merriam-Webster (named after Noah Webster and George and Charles Merriam) has been owned for the past 50 years by ... Encyclopedia Britannica. Which is, of course, an American company Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:49 am

“Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”  White-guys-high-five

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:27 am

Lone Wolf wrote:study  

FOR genuine  Englische English  one *must* consult the Oxford Dictionary...

FOR  Aussie 'Inglish'  we have the Macquarie Dictionary and Thesaurus pair downuder..

OH, and I did have a little Webster's pocket dictionary from back in my school days, but I'm not sure where that is at the moment ~ no doubt lurking over the back of my bookshelves in the shadows, just waiting for an opportune moment to leap out and grab one of us Philistines by the throat.      Suspect

So what are you saying, the Macquarie is good enough but Merriam-Webster is not? Fuck that shit! If it's good enough for Australians to go their own way on the English language, it's by-god good enough for Americans to do the same, dammit.

I say we blame the English for the fact that "buildings" have indeed already been built and "drawings" have indeed already been drawn. But can we call them "builts" or "drawns"? Hell no. Because of the English and their messed-up language Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:49 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:study  

FOR genuine  Englische English  one *must* consult the Oxford Dictionary...

FOR  Aussie 'Inglish'  we have the Macquarie Dictionary and Thesaurus pair downuder..

OH, and I did have a little Webster's pocket dictionary from back in my school days, but I'm not sure where that is at the moment ~ no doubt lurking over the back of my bookshelves in the shadows, just waiting for an opportune moment to leap out and grab one of us Philistines by the throat.      Suspect

So what are you saying, the Macquarie is good enough but Merriam-Webster is not? Fuck that shit! If it's good enough for Australians to go their own way on the English language, it's by-god good enough for Americans to do the same, dammit.

I say we blame the English for the fact that "buildings" have indeed already been built and "drawings" have indeed already been drawn. But can we call them "builts" or "drawns"? Hell no. Because of the English and their messed-up language Smile

TOO be fair our extra words are just the names of our places and things (often Aboriginal in origin) and slang/insults for Englishmen Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral

We didn't go Dropping Letters from Words Suspect Suspect Suspect

The growing opinion is 'as long as the other person understands'. At least in Sydney where there is a high population of people with English as a 2nd language. I personally Agree because the point of talking is to communicate. it is more important to have the other person understand than to follow arbitrary rules.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:37 am

Jeeeszz...everyday we have to pick up after the Brits.  Colour or color...favour or favor?  Y'all threw in too many letters to begin with.  Get over yourselves.

“Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”  Ygelli

Y'all just take too deep a breath.  Run around the block 5 or 6 times then come back and let's see how y'all pronounce those words.

Americans have just made the English language more efficient, that's all.

“Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”  British-vs.-American-English

'J-e-w-e-l-l-e-r-y'?  Whreaullie?  Oh for god's sake! Mad

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:58 am

Not our fault you lot didn't get here for years and someone had to discover your country and even then, all you are is a mixture of "other people".

Now if y'all cannot be bothered to write properly and find long words too difficult then why don't y'all just stay in your trailers and bitch about what a shithole America is?

See? We can all come down to your level and have little digs.
Perhaps y'all are a tad jealous Cool

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:56 am

Good on yer edds.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:59 pm

eddie wrote:Not our fault you lot didn't get here for years and someone had to discover your country and even then, all you are is a mixture of "other people".

Now if y'all cannot be bothered to write properly and find long words too difficult then why don't y'all just stay in your trailers and bitch about what a shithole America is?

Perhaps y'all are a tad jealous  Cool

Excuses, excuses, excuses...  We were the original, more mature, more intelligent Brits who went walkabout.  We come back to find the babes, left sleeping in their cribs, have wet their nappies and don't know how to change them.

Again  Rolling Eyes  we've gotta look after you.  It's not proper writing form to add 'ough' when 'oh' or 'ow' will do nicely.  And 'draught' for a mug of beer??  You don't even need the 'au', and the 'gh' is decidedly not an 'f' sound--can you imagine trying to say ghuck you, you idiot!.  They would take it for a speech impediment and you would be laughed right out of the pub.

This is exactly what the London Times meant when it published that article saying that the Yanks are the ones who have preserved the language.  Now fetch some clean nappies and bring them to mum...er, mom.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:31 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Not our fault you lot didn't get here for years and someone had to discover your country and even then, all you are is a mixture of "other people".

Perhaps y'all are a tad jealous  Cool

Excuses, excuses, excuses...  We were the original, more mature, more intelligent Brits who went walkabout.  We come back to find the babes, left sleeping in their cribs, have wet their nappies and don't know how to change them.

Again  Rolling Eyes  we've gotta look after you.  It's not proper writing form to add 'ough' when 'oh' or 'ow' will do nicely.  And 'draught' for a mug of beer??  You don't even need the 'au', and the 'gh' is decidedly not an 'f' sound--can you imagine trying to say ghuck you, you idiot!.  They would take it for a speech impediment and you would be laughed right out of the pub.

This is exactly what the London Times meant when it published that article saying that the Yanks are the ones who have preserved the language.  Now fetch some clean nappies and bring them to mum...er, mom.

Yep.
Jealous.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:08 am

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Yep.
Jealous.

Now off to bed with ya...and don't wet the bed this time.

“Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”  America_hetalia_omorashi_by_myazakilon-d82exrl

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Hahahahaha cheeky boy!!

Well I shall wear some NAPPIES NOT DIAPERS!

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Quill,here's some old English words you might know, "guz under, po, and Gerry.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:20 pm

I can speak and write 5 languages
American, English, Scots, Teenage Boy and Football (both versions)
:8
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Cass wrote:I can speak and write 5 languages

I've had to learn "teenage boy" Rolling Eyes
Each grunt sounds similar to the one befroe it but I'm assured that they all mean something quite different.....
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:Jeeeszz...everyday we have to pick up after the Brits.  Colour or color...favour or favor?  Y'all threw in too many letters to begin with.  Get over yourselves.

“Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”  Ygelli

Y'all just take too deep a breath.  Run around the block 5 or 6 times then come back and let's see how y'all pronounce those words.

Americans have just made the English language more efficient, that's all.

“Literally” Now Also Means “Figuratively”  British-vs.-American-English

'J-e-w-e-l-l-e-r-y'?  Whreaullie?  Oh for god's sake! Mad

but we say it like 'mum' Ma'um not mom

and Ass and Arse are 2 different things, ones a donkey

and it's Jewel'leary traditionally referring to a pendant(jewel) hung between the breasts too increase 'learing'

learing
v. 1. To stare at the breasts or ass of a woman without their knowledge.
and you can see that's from a US dictionary Unless she had a really pretty donkey Wink

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:03 pm

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:I can speak and write 5 languages

I've had to learn "teenage boy" Rolling Eyes
Each grunt sounds similar to the one befroe it but I'm assured that they all mean something quite different.....

it does indeed......
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:56 pm

Literally, what people say and mean can be totally mind boggling. Even more confusing, literally are the politicians. So even new guys popping up here and there, can we literally believe anything they say? ..

What about him ?

captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:35 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
Cass wrote:

study

I BELIEVE that, strictly speaking, that is actually five DIALECTS within the one language...

EVEN to claim two you would need to add 'Gaelic' into that mix as well ?

tongue

I don't know I don't think the people in north England speak English Suspect Suspect Suspect didn't sound like it anyway Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:01 pm

veya wrote:and you can see that's from a US dictionary Unless she had a really pretty donkey Wink

Her beasties don't need something extra to leer at; they are the match of her borro any day.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
Cass wrote:

study

I BELIEVE that, strictly speaking, that is actually five DIALECTS within the one language...

EVEN to claim two you would need to add 'Gaelic' into that mix as well ?

tongue

nononono trust me teenage boy is from another universe all together......

Ni cheatheann an chaint an t-eadach.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down