NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are young people getting treated better at work?

+2
Ben Reilly
veya_victaous
6 posters

Go down

Are young people getting treated better at work? Empty Are young people getting treated better at work?

Post by veya_victaous Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:24 am

WHEN it comes to attracting and retaining talent, there’s no doubt that some companies skew toward millennials.

Employers are providing easy mobile access to work files, encouraging social media interactions with the company, highlighting charitable initiatives, and giving consistent employee feedback, just the way Gen Y likes.

While these newer policies don’t exclusively benefit millennials, they do represent a big shift in the way the workplace is run. It’s easy to see how workers of older generations can feel like outsiders, and perhaps even think that their employers are favouring their younger colleagues. But is this really the case, or are employers simply trying to keep up with the times while making their staff happy?

Kirk Baumann, vice president of career services at Enactus, an entrepreneurial community of student, academic and business leaders, noted that employers may not necessarily be treating Gen Y workers differently, but the workplace does evolve and change with each new generation.

“With the adoption of technology, employers continue to move forward,” Baumann said. “Millennials are tied to their smartphones and have always had the internet. The nine-to-five job is starting to shift --- [millennials may] have flex time [and] the option to work wherever they want. The perception [may be that] the new kid is the favourite and gets the new technology, etc.”

“Show millennials that you care about their professional path [by tying] training into a broader career development plan,” Gorman said. “But again, offer this to everyone. Employees of all ages will benefit from a more comprehensive approach to career development, as will the organisation as a whole.”

Integrating different generational groups can also go a long way to help all employees feel like they’re part of the same team. Baumann advised creating cross-generational project teams, and setting millennials up with an older mentor so both parties can learn from one another.

“There are strengths that other generations bring that millennials don’t have and vice versa,” Baumann said. “Make them work together [to] move your staff forward.”
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Are young people getting treated better at work? Empty Re: Are young people getting treated better at work?

Post by veya_victaous Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:35 am

the real issue is that no one ever seem to be able to actually state what advantage an obsolete older worker brings.

the experience is antiquated, their short cuts are largely illegal now. they are slower with technology and find change harder to deal with.

Employers are voting with their wallet Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Are young people getting treated better at work? Empty Re: Are young people getting treated better at work?

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:10 am

Hmmm ... I always seem to find myself the oldest of the young/youngest of the old where I work. It's funny, I have some of the advantages offered to Millennials -- flex time, no cubicle (I either work from home or at games), but on the other hand, I don't get much feedback on my performance at all.

By the way -- age really has little to do with a worker's performance. If the worker understands and meets the requirements of the job, he/she is adequate -- if they're the type who looks for the ways new technology and social habits can be best used by the company, he/she is a true asset, and if you don't understand that times change and that you have to keep looking for new ways to be valuable, you will become outmoded.

And in regards to experience, it really does depend on the job. A seasoned reporter, all else being equal, is always going to know how to handle being bullshitted better than an inexperienced reporter. Provided that an older worker is bright, keeps up with the times and isn't a bigot, they're always going to do fine in jobs that require dealing with a lot of different people.

Then again, I'm almost precisely the age that young people call old and old people call young, so I may very well be talking out my ass ...

Are young people getting treated better at work? V777yq
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:51 am

@ben
those good at their jobs aren't complaining and normally are all ready above the positions that millennials are getting, it is generally those that get passed by younger workers that are complaining. Like you said if you are of the mindset of continual growth and learning then you're fine. I also think part of it is that the older worker when offered new tech goes often goes  'uhh? so you want me to use this now?'  if they don't just  straight out reject it. the younger worker (possibly due to greater consumer conditioning) is like 'cool new toy' and then learns it in their own time faster than older worker that was still somewhat willing. it makes sense that the business is going to spend the money where they are going to see the a higher return quicker.

With things like Flex time often they are either past the stage in their life where they need it, don't ask for it or are already so conditioned to the 9-5 routine they don't actually want it.

Ultimately the changes have all been good for and driven by the companies themselves or legislation (here there is a lot more safety regulations now, so some 'short cuts' of the past are illegal as they are too dangerous, yet old dudes still try them Rolling Eyes ). Flex time and such moves us more towards a 24/7 economy which allows business to maximize the use of their infrastructure (as it now operates 24 hours a day instead of 8.) and No personal cubical/office is cheaper for company and also allows for more hours a day usage out of each desk (again moving towards 24/7 economies)

Also millennials are in their early 30's now and have 5-10 years under their belt so they have some experience, and in most industries if you are out of it for 5-10 years you are considered out of it for good because enough changes in that time. So the most relevant experience is that of the last few years which both have negating the advantages of the older employee.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:07 am

Bridging the gap between young and old can sometimes be difficult in the workplace but if handled correctly it can bring huge benefits to both as well as the business they are working in. I remember years ago we had a small delegation from Japan visiting our facility for a meeting and the names of the delegates attending had been placed on the table where everyone would be sitting. One of the marketing trainees due to attend looked at the placements and pointed out that the visitors were sitting in the wrong place pointing out that in Japanese business culture it’s always courtesy to have the visitors sitting in positions where they can see at all times who is entering the meeting room but they were placed with their backs to the entrance. Just a small point to us but an important one to others and something learned.

A young person often arrived brimming with new ideas and before you know it there knocking up spreadsheets, pie charts and PowerPoint presentations as if they are going out of fashion. Sure, the older hands can pick up on the new ideas and learn how something can be done in a new way but the younger worker can still learn from older hands who will teach them skills and knowledge that they haven’t yet acquired. It’s a partnership and provided there are no other factors involved outside of what is considered a normal working relationship both will benefit.

It doesn’t matter what the age gap is when introducing new (big) ideas because new ideas and change are not that easy to implement anyway.

In the words of Hyman Rickover...

Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:07 am

Hmmmm, in the UK, re the minimum wage, a person under the age of 21 is paid less than someone who is over 21. If they're under 18 they're paid even less. I would say that this is discrimination, but nobody seems to question it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Fluffyx Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Hmmmm, in the UK, re the minimum wage, a person under the age of 21 is paid less than someone who is over 21. If they're under 18 they're paid even less. I would say that this is discrimination, but nobody seems to question it.

It's absurd, once you turn 18 you are an adult and should get the same wage.
Although I was under the impression wages went up when an individual turns 22 not 21.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:50 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Laughing

THOSE employers foolish enough as to only employ "millenials" are already running into widespread problems of their own making :

* Manufacturers and allied "support service" providers now facing shortages of skillled labourers and process operators ~ largely because they look for "17 year olds with half a dozen relevant tickets and 3 years experience" willing to work 12 hour shifts/60 hour weeks on demand @ $10/hour ~ but no guarantee of work next week !
good for business and still not competitive in global market, so you just made the prefect case for employers voting with their wallet and taking the harder working lower expectation Millennial

* MEANWHILE they laid off all of their experienced "old school" workers last year because veya(not true I'd replace them all with robots geek ) took over their "hiring and firing" practices..
this simply cannot do as much
Are young people getting treated better at work? Alkan.d_1376918189121_480
as this
Are young people getting treated better at work? Xl_samsung-galaxy-s5-6

* AND around the Retail precinct down the road, many low-wage-/government/Aldi's paying shop owners are blaming the Internet for the sharp dropoff in custom this year ~ pointedly ignoring the fact that their untrained 25 year old "manager" sacked all of the over-35 workers last month; and that the "so last century" principles of 'good customer service', 'the customer is always right [ven when they're wong !]] and 'try to give the customer what they want' walked out the door with them...
Yep the archaic practice of intermediary merchants is Highly inefficient and destine to replaced like the home delivery Milkman and the Door to Door Vacuum Salesman. I believe in the future retail districts will be leased by companies to display their good but they wont actually sell them there (they may have a terminal for you to order from). the supply chain currently has too many steps and most of them can be dropped, they add nothing but unnecessary expense to the product. it is literally a case of using the modern supply chain methods (like Kogan for example) you can sell the exact same product delivered to the home for LESS than the cost of the product in a old fashioned store.

And yes companies are moving away from 'the customer is always right principle' because the customer is a jackass, it is a business decision from much higher than the 25 year old store manager. Customer service cost money, research has shown that the majority of us will choose lower cost over better customer service. Their is always the market for GOOD sales people in the high end stores where people are willing to pay the price for customer service

* AND up to half of those so-called "millenials" and "Y generation dudes" have no idea of courtesy, respect, company 'loyalty', tarining and working their way up the business "ladder" ~ thinking they know it all as soon as they leave school (much like their attituds towards driving..), but thn proving that they really don't have a clue !

True, the fact that companies don't want to give loyalty to the workers any more plus promoting competition amongst employees to get the best instead of get the oldest, it is actually easier to have workers loyal to the Dollar than some make believe company ideals that get dropped as soon as the are inconvenient for the employer. Plus I think it just shows that millennials have a more realistic view of the world, why do we work? to get paid, to live...

And Driving is a pretty weird statement young drivers today have less accident than young drivers in the past. Statistically the worst drivers are those that got heir licenses in the 60's and 70's literally a young drivers is like 3 times less likely to kill themselves on the roads today than they were in the 70's. the total deaths is Lower even though there is more than double the amount of young drivers Rolling Eyes

JUST personally, I wouldn't have more than 30-40% of a work force/workplace made up of "millenials" and "X and Y generation" workers; (and, as an aside I would keep the number of female workers below 40% in many workplaces as well - in the name and cause of 'work site harmony' and reliability..).

that would basically be out of business quick smart. LOL 60% of your work force is baby boomers? what is it a shopping mall in a retirement home? and How would you find enough customers that still value the inefficiencies of 'old timey salesmen' and will pay the higher prices that having an inefficient work force and business practice entails. Yep the market wants it so bad that Grace brothers and David Jones aren't slowly dying with the baby boomers Are young people getting treated better at work? 2347854014 ... they Invest millions and still struggle to get new customers because they don't understand that If I want a Shirt etc than I want to pay for a Shirt, Not twice the value of the shirt to have some guy to fart around and add nothing of value to my purchase.

IT'S no wonder that so many retail/wholesale, "service" and manufacturing companies are self destructing these days ~ setting themselves up to inevitably fail as soon as they have implemented their nonsensical "ageist" staff hiring practices..      Are young people getting treated better at work? 2113235493
Old school Retailers are going out of business that is true, those that wish to keep Ye'Olden Days alive when Communications and logistics were 'primitive' and allowed intermediaries to make a profit off facilitating a sale or geographic restrictions that limited availability. In Australia we have them going out of business because there is too many baby boomers running stuff, Like Murdoch looking backwards trying to claw back profits that they used to be able to take off a market with no other options. Technology has changed that the Dinosaurs Like Murdoch and their artificial monopolies of supply and unreasonable restrictions trying to keep the world of yesteryear alive. trying to add physical restrictions to a digital world the inefficiencies that allowed him to profit no longer exists.

it is time for baby boomers to hand over the reigns, they have done So much damage to the world left it 10 times worse than when they started they have been the greediest most self serving and destructive generation in Our nations history. You talk about employing them I woudl seriously be taking the vote off them, All their lives they have voted for greed and self interest and Now we need to fix stuff they are STILL voting for their own selfish interests, Its like their generation has made it their mission to destroy the planet they woudl prefer to have their grand children die than get out of the way and let us fix the god damn mess they have made. I mean Notice that it is literally Baby Boomers versus EVERYONE else not content with fucking over their parent generation they proceeded to fuck Gen X then Gen Y and now Gen I, Literally they spent the wealth of 5 generations and they are still expecting Pensions EVEN though they have already ensured they wont exist for the generations they want to pay for their Pension!!! If the War generations were the 'greatest and bravest' in history the baby boomers are the 'most selfish generation' in history.

it's really hard to care about the old guy that cant get a job when they openly say they would deny jobs to the young and women Are young people getting treated better at work? 2794048296
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:55 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Hmmmm, in the UK, re the minimum wage, a person under the age of 21 is paid less than someone who is over 21. If they're under 18 they're paid even less. I would say that this is discrimination, but nobody seems to question it.

It's absurd, once you turn 18 you are an adult and should get the same wage.
Although I was under the impression wages went up when an individual turns 22 not 21.

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:23 pm

@Wolf
Fighting change rarely works much better to move with it. it is going to happen either way may as well equip people to handle it and let regular people take advantage of the price gap rather than letting a corporation make use of third world labour and then pocket the difference. If we really wanted to keep manufacturing one step would be mass roll out of solar power where we reduce electricity cost to virtually nothing, which would offset our higher wages and thus make Australia a competitive place to manufacture good that are power intensive to create.

It's not my Ideal by the way. My Ideal is a Citizen's wage and Robots doing 99% of the actual work with more than half the population not having to do any work. End Capitalism as we know it.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down