NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could

5 posters

Go down

Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could Empty Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:33 pm

According to Right Wing Watch, Swaggart — the son of disgraced 1980s televangelist Jimmy Swaggart — made the statements in response to local efforts to enforce the city of Houston’s anti-discrimination ordinance.

“All of this is to shut the Bible up,” Swaggart said. “They want the Bible gone. And I’m going to make a statement: These people that are trying to do this in Houston, the only difference between them and ISIS, those thugs in Iraq, is those here cannot chop our heads off. That’s the only difference. The heart is the same. The heart is the same. If they could silence us that way to intimidate others, that’s exactly what they would do.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/jimmy-swaggarts-son-lgbt-activists-would-behead-christians-if-they-could/

Given the wacky household he must have grown up in, it sounds to me like he's got a lot of anger and that he's lashing out ... No
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could Empty Re: Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could

Post by eddie Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:44 pm

People who protest too much.....

Something not quite right.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could Empty Re: Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:30 am

Does he realize when he's spouting inane religious paranoia that the only one who sounds like IS is him. What a knob.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:03 am

I've always thought that if you're saying your "enemy" would happily behead you, you'd probably happily behead them Sad
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:22 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:I've always thought that if you're saying your "enemy" would happily behead you, you'd probably happily behead them Sad

Yeah, trying to justify what he would do by trying to imply we (gay people) are the real evil here Sad
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:49 am

Eilzel wrote:Does he realize when he's spouting inane religious paranoia that the only one who sounds like IS is him. What a knob.

I was just going to say Les, the one doing onto others are the RW'ers.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:58 am

Eilzel wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:I've always thought that if you're saying your "enemy" would happily behead you, you'd probably happily behead them Sad

Yeah, trying to justify what he would do by trying to imply we (gay people) are the real evil here Sad

This is why I keep pressing the view that the only really evil things are actions that create victims. Yeah, people won't always agree on even that, but I think it's a damn sight better than religious morality.

It's even part of one religion; it's basically the Wiccan Rede: "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will" Or in a common political phrase, "Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:16 am

Both work haha, do unto others- which occurs in most religions- also fits. Anything else is really just subjective dictations.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:20 am

Eilzel wrote:Both work haha, do unto others- which occurs in most religions- also fits. Anything else is really just subjective dictations.

What kicks my ass is that I get into arguments with people who claim to live by that crede -- they tell me that you should be able to do what you want with your property, i.e. land.

First of all, I'm not sure I agree that people should be able to own land in the first place ... but what I tell them is that if what they do ends up hurting someone else, it's appropriate to stop them. The big issue here being people who think that polluting their property only affects their own property. They don't seem to understand how wind and water vectors work Rolling Eyes
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:31 am

Yeah they have a logic defect. I also agree we should own land. Firstly it implies the Earth is there to be carved up for individual purposes; second, it creates a hypothetical problem of what to do when we run out of land to own...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:41 am

Eilzel wrote:Yeah they have a logic defect. I also agree we should own land. Firstly it implies the Earth is there to be carved up for individual purposes; second, it creates a hypothetical problem of what to do when we run out of land to own...

I've been looking a lot into the history of land ownership; it's interesting to take a look at what happened during the Medieval period, specifically "fencing." It was kind of astonishing for me to learn that there was once land that was considered "non-owned" -- i.e. anybody could do agriculture there.

More relevant to today, that land wasn't claimed because anybody was compensated for it; it was taken by threat of violence. It sort of calls into question the whole idea of ownership when you consider that the original owners were just the people who could beat up every other claimant Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:46 am

I suppose if you go right back to the tribes of early makind the leaders were the ones who could get the support of the people and then defeat other tribes, and everything built from there. Certainly though by medieval times as you say the people who were leaders (or related to/favoured by them), and thus 'owners of land' or able to capture it- were so purely by fortune of birth. Which is still relevant now and in fact is why white men dominate 3 continents they never knew existed 600 years ago. The problem is at this point it is nigh on impossible to roll things back to the point any decent number of people would rethink property ownership entirely.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:51 am

All I can say to that is, +1,000,000 Smile

And maybe that people shouldn't be so high and mighty about what's "their country" ... because inevitably, the real story is that their ancestors beat up somebody else's ancestors to take it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:53 am

You can actually make an argument that if the Romans hadn't beat up on the Gauls (and others) so much, I as a Texan wouldn't be endeavoring to learn Spanish (just a modern form of Latin) in order to better compete in the local economy Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:58 am

History is full of fascinating 'what ifs'...

What if Hannibal had marched on Rome?
What if the Romans had successfully wiped put Christianity in the Empire?
What Alfred the Great had been defeated and the viking crushed Wessex?
What if there was no Restoration in 1660?
What if the American Revolution had failed?

My spine tingles at the thoughts :-)
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:04 am

Just to nerd out on the commonality of Indo-European languages a bit:

In Spanish: Que estas haciendo?

English: What are you doing?

They don't sound much alike, but "que" is related to "query, question, inquisitive" etc., "estas" is a form of "es/estar" which is English's "is," and "haciendo" is a form in Spanish in which "H" is substituted for "F" (as in "Fernandez" vs. "Hernandez") and thus was once "faciendo."

So: (I) query what it (is) you are facilitating?

Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could 1335987845 Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could 1335987845 Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could 1335987845 Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could 1335987845 Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could 1335987845 Son of former televangelist: Gays are like ISIS, would behead Christians if they could 1335987845

Last edited by Ben_Reilly on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:08 am

Just to go a bit further, "que" is also a Spanish form of "that."

Which speakers of vernacular English would know -- "Think about what you just done," i.e., about that which you have done.

OK, I'm stopping now ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:10 am

If you like historical what-ifs and haven't already read it ... Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy is great for that and every other reason we read things Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:12 am

I'm fascinated by the language thing actually Ben. I want to learn 2 languages, Thai being one (cause I think one should know the local lingo if they intend to settle long term) and the other being Spanish since,

1. It is spoken by most people in the Americas and
2. It sounds so damn sexy haha (not necessarily from you btw just in general lol)
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:36 am

Eilzel wrote:I'm fascinated by the language thing actually Ben. I want to learn 2 languages, Thai being one (cause I think one should know the local lingo if they intend to settle long term) and the other being Spanish since,

2. It sounds so damn sexy haha (not necessarily from you btw just in general lol)

Just one more interesting language tid-bit for the evening, then, since you've encouraged me Smile ...

We don't really just call them "romance" languages because they're descended from the language of the Romans. It's also because many love stories were written in the "romance" languages before they were recognized as languages in their own right. Classical Latin was considered at the time too dignified for love stories.

So Spanish, French, Italian, etc. actually have a claim to being "romantic" as well as "Romance" languages. I love you I love you I love you And I agree, they're beautiful to listen to -- unless, of course, it's something like "Chinga tu madre, pinche cabron!"

(Which is almost pure Mexican, rather than Spanish, for, "fuck your mother, asshole idiot!")
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:20 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Eilzel wrote:I'm fascinated by the language thing actually Ben. I want to learn 2 languages, Thai being one (cause I think one should know the local lingo if they intend to settle long term) and the other being Spanish since,

Just one more interesting language tid-bit for the evening, then, since you've encouraged me Smile ...

We don't really just call them "romance" languages because they're descended from the language of the Romans. It's also because many love stories were written in the "romance" languages before they were recognized as languages in their own right. Classical Latin was considered at the time too dignified for love stories.

So Spanish, French, Italian, etc. actually have a claim to being "romantic" as well as "Romance" languages. I love you I love you I love you And I agree, they're beautiful to listen to -- unless, of course, it's something like "Chinga tu madre, pinche cabron!"

(Which is almost pure Mexican, rather than Spanish, for, "fuck your mother, asshole idiot!")

Yeah but if you said without telling me what it meant sunny
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:38 pm

Languages fascinate me. I was a top student in French.
Always loved the languages
It's weird, but I can go,to France and pretty much make out what something is, or what people are saying without knowing why?

My fraternal grandparents were French Corsican. So here's a question for you: do any of you think you can inherit a "language gene"?

By the by, I taught my son very basic French when he was about seven, and he hasn't forgotten it - yet has been doing Spanish for years but says it doesnt sink on like French does.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Just to go a bit further, "que" is also a Spanish form of "that."

Which speakers of vernacular English would know -- "Think about what you just done," i.e., about that which you have done.

OK, I'm stopping now ...

"That" and "what" are the ultimate pronouns. They beg a query, so to speak. Language is quite logical, you just have to find the way the originator was thinking (etymology).

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:43 pm

eddie wrote:Languages fascinate me. I was a top student in French.
Always loved the languages
It's weird, but I can go,to France and pretty much make out what something is, or what people are saying without knowing why?

My fraternal grandparents were French Corsican. So here's a question for you: do any of you think you can inherit a "language gene"?

By the by, I taught my son very basic French when he was about seven, and he hasn't forgotten it - yet has been doing Spanish for years but says it doesnt sink on like French does.

There has to be something along those lines -- I know a lady who works as an optometrist's business manager, doesn't really need any special skills to do her job, but she can speak seven languages and is learning Spanish. The cool thing is that besides English, they're mostly East Asian languages (Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese) that not only are very different from one another, they're also quite a bit different from English or Spanish.

I was watching a movie last night that had a lot of Portuguese in it and I could follow along pretty well from the Spanish I've learned. The Portuguese accent is so different though; sometimes almost sounds Slavic Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:28 pm

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down