NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is 44 the age of depression?

+3
Tommy Monk
Lone Wolf
eddie
7 posters

Go down

Is 44 the age of depression?  Empty Is 44 the age of depression?

Post by eddie Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:02 am

Interesting article, albeit a few years old:

44 is the age of depression, say researchers

The biggest lows of our lives are experienced in middle age, according to new research that concludes that Britons are at their most depressed aged 44.
Scientists believe that although we are closer to death as pensioners and powerless in youth, it is the "reality check" years of our 40s that are the most depressing.
In one of the biggest surveys into human happiness and mental health ever conducted, more than two million people - including a million in Britain - were interviewed by researchers from the University of Warwick and Dartmouth College in America.
They found overwhelming evidence that happiness was U-shaped over life, bottoming out in middle age.
It did not matter whether the subject interviewed was a millionaire banker or a poorly-paid manual worker; man or woman; single or married with children; the result was generally the same.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576872/44-is-the-age-of-depression-say-researchers.html

I've been feeling quite down recently, and it's unusual for me as I'm normally a happy person.
What do others think about the article?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Is 44 the age of depression?  Empty Re: Is 44 the age of depression?

Post by eddie Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Lol wolf I'd hardly call you mellow Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:06 pm

eddie wrote:Interesting article, albeit a few years old:

The biggest lows of our lives are experienced in middle age, according to new research that concludes that Britons are at their most depressed aged 44.
Scientists believe that although we are closer to death as pensioners and powerless in youth, it is the "reality check" years of our 40s that are the most depressing.
In one of the biggest surveys into human happiness and mental health ever conducted, more than two million people - including a million in Britain - were interviewed by researchers from the University of Warwick and Dartmouth College in America.
They found overwhelming evidence that happiness was U-shaped over life, bottoming out in middle age.
It did not matter whether the subject interviewed was a millionaire banker or a poorly-paid manual worker; man or woman; single or married with children; the result was generally the same.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576872/44-is-the-age-of-depression-say-researchers.html

I've been feeling quite down recently, and it's unusual for me as I'm normally a happy person.

Cycle of routine, you need some new motivations to break the normality.
I think this happens to many when they have routines and do not keep trying out new things all the time.
So I do believe there is much truth to this, where even more people can get into the habit of watching too much TV for example.

This sums it up well:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Brasidas wrote:

I think this happens to many when they have routines and do not keep trying out new things all the time.
So I do believe there is much truth to this, where even more people can get into the habit of watching too much TV for example.

This sums it up well:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

psychic research.....doing the above and GETTING different results.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:11 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

This sums it up well:

psychic research.....doing the above and GETTING different results.......

Clever but are they real results or imagined?

That was from Einstein, which fits most any other aspect.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:48 pm

The article does say though, that your job, status or whether you had children was irrelevant?
It was merely an age issue.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:55 pm

eddie wrote:The article does say though, that your job, status or whether you had children was irrelevant?

Agreed why I did not even attempt to factor in this part Eddie, my view is on routine, where it can become predictable, where new hobbies can be started etc. I think also the age of 44 is that point where people would start to view this as a sort of half way point or more to the point over that half way point where even though people are living longer, they would now look at the years as being less and less. If you think about it when at 30 having a view they might live to 80, they would still feel comfortable, thinking they could live another 50 years. Where at 44 now they would then think they would have less than the years they have already lived if again the same view of life expectancy was 80 say, with then viewing this as 36 years left. I think this is the point where the reality of time left starts to hit home, where it thus affects them, some ongoing where others adjust and accept this.
I think this maybe a big factor , though myself I excepted a long time ago, my time could come up at any moment and why worry about it, I am going to die at some point so why concern yourself over something you have no control over, better to enjoy and embrace your life.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Brasidas wrote:
eddie wrote:The article does say though, that your job, status or whether you had children was irrelevant?

Agreed why I did not even attempt to factor in this part Eddie, my view is on routine, where it can become predictable, where new hobbies can be started etc. I think also the age of 44 is that point where people would start to view this as a sort of half way point or more to the point over that half way point where even though people are living longer, they would now look at the years as being less and less. If you think about it when at 30 having a view they might live to 80, they would still feel comfortable, thinking they could live another 50 years. Where at 44 now they would then think they would have less than the years they have already lived if again the same view of life expectancy was 80 say, with then viewing this as 36 years left. I think this is the point where the reality of time left starts to hit home, where it thus affects them, some ongoing where others adjust and accept this.
I think this maybe a big factor , though myself I excepted a long time ago, my time could come up at any moment and why worry about it, I am going to die at some point so why concern yourself over something you have no control over, better to enjoy and embrace your life.

Hey didge x
How did you manage to inspire me and depress me in one go??? Hahahahahahaha
I feel inspired to embrace my life.....what is left of it....!!! Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:10 pm

eddie wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

Hey didge x
How did you manage to inspire me and depress me in one go??? Hahahahahahaha
I feel inspired to embrace my life.....what is left of it....!!! Shocked

Thanks Eddie, we both inspire, and why we do is like here, being up front, open minded about allowing people to tackle their fears.....
Anyway you may not even have to think about this.
xx

Scientists from Harvard and the University of New South Wales say they have discovered how to reverse the ageing process.

The research has focused on mice, but early clinical trials have also been conducted on humans.

The scientists said they switched youthful genes on and older genes off, using naturally occurring proteins and molecules.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-04/scientists-reverse-ageing-process-in-mice/5865714

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:16 pm

So there's hope yet?
Phew!

I look a lot younger than I am actually. I eat well, and I exercise five times a week.

Whiskey is my lover: we have a good session once a week Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Cheer up Eddie, it's the time of year.... getting darker, colder etc.

Could also be vitamin deficiency linked... vitamin d maybe, less sunlight.

Or maybe you detect a disturbance in the force....!?

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:40 pm

I think it also depends on how hard you cling to your older views of what your life would be like, etc. I find as I've gotten older, I've had to discard ideas I had about what life would be like when I got to a certain age because they were all based on stereotypes, etc., and that I wasn't doing them because I didn't want to and couldn't imagine myself being happy that way Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Cheer up Eddie, it's the time of year.... getting darker, colder etc.

lol!

Hmmmm now, what is a "disturbance in the force"?? Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:44 pm

May the force be with you! [don't know what it means either"
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:48 pm

ask not for whom the bell tolls......

actually " never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
it tolls for thee. . . . "

john donne...Meditation 17

Nuts to it...im 60 and I'm gonna grow old disgracefully. I'm not so much going to be laid upon my bier as slide in sideways (and late) shouting WTF....that was fun...whats next and who's got the calvados....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:49 pm

nicko wrote:May the force be with you! [don't know what it means either"

All due to a half deaf reporter listening to two jockeys talking

one said to the other ...when you cross the finishing line...may the HORSE be with you Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:35 pm

eddie wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:Cheer up Eddie, it's the time of year.... getting darker, colder etc.

lol!

Hmmmm now, what is a "disturbance in the force"?? Shocked

Come on Eddie!!!

You never seen star wars...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA0kNGaYrtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4U-z90B8Ig

Last edited by Tommy Monk on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:37 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
nicko wrote:May the force be with you! [don't know what it means either"

All due to a half deaf reporter listening to two jockeys talking

one said to the other ...when you cross the finishing line...may the HORSE be with you Rolling Eyes

Haha! Also: "Luke, I am your father" is not a real quote Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
eddie wrote:

lol!

Hmmmm now, what is a "disturbance in the force"??  Shocked

Come on Eddie!!!

You never seen star wars...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA0kNGaYrtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4U-z90B8Ig

NOOOOOOOO! I HATED STAR WARS AND WAS VERY VERY HAPPY WHEN MY SON GREW OUT OF WATCHING IT!!!! Evil or Very Mad

I leaned all the names of all his stupid toys and played "Star Wars Lego" for ages!!
God I'm good No
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:18 pm

And you didn't know what a 'disturbance in the force'was...!?

What did you think I was going on about?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:42 am

Tommy Monk wrote:And you didn't know what a 'disturbance in the force'was...!?

Farting? Embarassed
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:21 am

eddie wrote:

Farting? Embarassed

Totally unrelated of course, but I had tacos for dinner and chased them with a few pints of Guiness ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:24 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrEsZffie8

Relevant comment at about 1:05
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:03 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Farting? Embarassed

Totally unrelated of course, but I had tacos for dinner and chased them with a few pints of Guiness ...

Lovely. Erm thanks for that..... Neutral
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:28 am

Just been reading this today Eddie, which basically means it really does not matter what we eat or do if we are to live a very long life:

Researchers have just sequenced the genomes of 17 “supercentarians” -- people over 110 years of age -- and conclude that these long-lived individuals likely have genes that promote longevity, but the fountain of youth component remains elusive so far.

The good news, or bad, depending on how you look at it, is that lifestyle choices don’t seem to matter much for those hoping to reach such advanced ages, according to the study, which is published in the latest issue of PLOS ONE.

“Lifestyle choices in terms of smoking, alcohol consumption, exercise, or diet do not appear to differ between centenarians and controls,” wrote Hinco Gierman and colleagues. “Controls” in this case refers to younger people who served as comparisons.

That aspect isn’t too surprising, given all of the interviews with people aged 100+ who say they still enjoy a glass of wine, a cigar or other indulgence, although most indicate that they do such things in moderation.

Gierman, of the Stanford University Departments of Developmental Biology and Genetics, and his team limited the majority of their analysis to 13 genomes from Caucasian females, just to avoid other major differences that might exist between various genomes.

http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics/worlds-oldest-people-are-genetically-superior-141112.htm

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by eddie Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:24 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
eddie wrote:
Lol wolf I'd hardly call you mellow Razz

Cool

'EVERYTHING is relative..'.

Whether someone considers themselves more mellow/at peace or more aggressive now, depends on how aggressive/noisy/arrogant/pushy, or otherwise, one may have been in their earlier decades..     flower

Ahhhh. So you used to howl at the moon huh? affraid
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:30 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Farting? Embarassed

Lovely. Erm thanks for that..... Neutral

It was absolutely my pleasure!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:16 am

Eddie, I wouldn’t worry about it because November is known to be a particularly gloomy month for many people. You will get through it just like you will get through Christmas in December and the New Year and also when the bills for all that pop through the letter box in January. It will get better........I promise lol
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:47 am

Irn Bru wrote:

Eddie, I wouldn’t worry about it because November is known to be a particularly gloomy month for many people. You will  get through it just like you will get through Christmas in December and the New Year and also when the bills for all that pop through the letter box in January. It will get better........I promise lol

Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect the Bills make it better ? confused confused confused confused think you're wrong there irn
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:51 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Eddie, I wouldn’t worry about it because November is known to be a particularly gloomy month for many people. You will  get through it just like you will get through Christmas in December and the New Year and also when the bills for all that pop through the letter box in January. It will get better........I promise lol

Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect  the Bills make it better ? confused confused confused confused  think you're wrong there irn

Laughing no, I meant after the bills have been paid. Usually Red one's. Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down