NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Joys of Growing Old - Hello New Life Stage

+2
Ben Reilly
Lurker
6 posters

Go down

The Joys of Growing Old - Hello New Life Stage Empty The Joys of Growing Old - Hello New Life Stage

Post by Lurker Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:39 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carolyn-bucior/process-of-aging_b_6018538.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

I wash my hair every other day.

Every now and then after I've exited the house, I glance down at my legs to make sure I've switched out of my pajamas.

I've been called ma'am for enough years to know it's not accidental.

When shopping for a sympathy card, I buy two extras.

I follow routines so I don't misplace my car keys.

I count housecleaning as a workout.

Much of what I read seems feeble or recycled.

I choose a matinee over 8 p.m. Saturday every time.

I use the word "thing" whenever I can't remember the real noun. Which is often.

My ideal night of "sleeping together" includes actual sleep.

I understand my mother.

Balancing exercises are part of my routine workout.

My dentist is my son's age.

I have doctors (plural).

Swing doors are unaccountably heavy.

I wish there were recombobulation areas at the end of check-out lines.

As rites of passage go, accepting that you're probably in life's final third offers less a frisson than say, becoming a new parent or mastering potty training.

Some people are far cheerier about this personal transition than I am, even claiming that aging has liberated them. I suspect such folks are blessed with either better genetics or better medications than me. Alice Roosevelt Longworth, for example, the only daughter of President Teddy Roosevelt, summed it up this way: "First you're young. Then you're middle aged. Then you're wonderful."

Bully for wonderful Alice.

Then again, she lived to age 96, so maybe she had a point.

While I mull over that, I'll keep taking notes.

Last month, I found a roll of foil in the freezer.

This morning, my mascara was inexplicably...oh never mind. At least I know where my car keys are. They're on the kitchen counter in that...thing.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The Joys of Growing Old - Hello New Life Stage Empty Re: The Joys of Growing Old - Hello New Life Stage

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:03 am

Haha, a friend of mine who recently turned 40 posted today that he poured his coffee into his cereal. It happens in minute degrees, like a lobster in a pot of water Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The Joys of Growing Old - Hello New Life Stage Empty Re: The Joys of Growing Old - Hello New Life Stage

Post by nicko Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:06 am

Afew days ago ifound my car keys in the Fridge?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:13 am

nicko wrote:Afew days ago ifound my car keys in the Fridge?  

That's awesome Smile Why not keep your car keys in the fridge, your milk on your nightstand and the book you're reading in the pantry?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:38 pm

The Joys of Growing Old - Hello New Life Stage 9780451201553_p0_v1_s260x420

Pantry pffft...belongs in the fridge.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Have you ever looked for your glasses, and realised your wearing them?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:01 pm

nicko wrote:Have you ever looked for your glasses,  and realised your wearing them?

OMG! Does the bear shit in the woods? Or your hat...which is on your head. Razz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:02 am

I was sitting at an IHOP one day having a pancake breakfast and I poured the syrup into my coffee. They put a pot of coffee on the table and I meant to warm up my coffee but grabbed the syrup dispenser instead of the coffee pitcher.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Lurker wrote:I was sitting at an IHOP one day having a pancake breakfast and I poured the syrup into my coffee. They put a pot of coffee on the table and I meant to warm up my coffee but grabbed the syrup dispenser instead of the coffee pitcher.

Haha! Friend of mine posted this to Facebook the other day:

"I poured my coffee into my cereal. It's going to be a long day."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:53 pm

nicko wrote:Have you ever looked for your glasses, and realised your wearing them?

if being on top of your head counts as wearing then yes I am guilty as charged.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:56 pm

some things are lurker's list are getting a bit too close for comfort......sigh....
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:22 am

Cass wrote:some things are lurker's list are getting a bit too close for comfort......sigh....

I know, right? Here's what scares me -- I'm feeling these things as I get to 40. But people I know who are older than that laugh (loudly, in my face) when I talk about feeling older. So that tells me, it just keeps intensifying pale
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Cass wrote:some things are lurker's list are getting a bit too close for comfort......sigh....

I know, right? Here's what scares me -- I'm feeling these things as I get to 40. But people I know who are older than that laugh (loudly, in my face) when I talk about feeling older. So that tells me, it just keeps intensifying pale

I concur.....I'm still in the right side of 50.....just......and in February Mr.C and I celebrate 25 years of wedded something or other and junior will be a college freshman .......how is this even possible???
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:07 pm

I know I posted this somewhere else, but it seems apt for this thread Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down