NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blind Woman And Guide Dog Told To Leave Tesco Over No Pets Policy

2 posters

Go down

Blind Woman And Guide Dog Told To Leave Tesco Over No Pets Policy Empty Blind Woman And Guide Dog Told To Leave Tesco Over No Pets Policy

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:27 pm

A blind woman shopping at Tesco was ordered to leave by three "shouting" staff adamant she could not bring her guide dog into the store.

Was just told to leave because of my #guidedog @Tesco Express in SwissCottage. I am truly disgusted as this is happening repeatedly Pls RT
— Maya Makri (@mayamakri) [url=https://twitter.com/mayamakri/status/521713907485114368]October 13, 2014

Maya Makri, 39, said she was in a branch in Swiss Cottage, north-west London, when the cashiers told her pets were not allowed in the store and told her to leave.
Her guide dog Jemma was wearing a high-visibility jacket and a harness labelled "guide dog" when the incident happened on Monday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/17/blind-woman-and-guide-dog_n_6002066.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Interesting, if her account is true, why on earth did the staff over react like this?
I have some ideas, but what do others think?

Back to top Go down

Blind Woman And Guide Dog Told To Leave Tesco Over No Pets Policy Empty Re: Blind Woman And Guide Dog Told To Leave Tesco Over No Pets Policy

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:11 pm

I wouldnt doubt that it was so as not to upset "certain" people......

me I'd have told em to screw themselves ...and insisted on them calling the cops....made a real big stink......

Back to top Go down

Blind Woman And Guide Dog Told To Leave Tesco Over No Pets Policy Empty Re: Blind Woman And Guide Dog Told To Leave Tesco Over No Pets Policy

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Legally they cannot ask the woman to leave because of a guide dog as that is disability discrimination.
I hope she is suing and I hope Tesco are doing an immediate review of training policy regards diversity.
Having said that I am amazed that in this day and age anyone does not know about guide dogs and their being allowed to go into shops.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:44 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:I wouldnt doubt that it was so as not to upset "certain" people......

me I'd have told em to screw themselves ...and insisted on them calling the cops....made a real big stink......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:46 pm

you will find that consideration of "certain" groups warped ideas does in fact, in practice, overide ANY amount of law

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:11 pm

That is a violation of law in the US.  Not only for seeing-eye guide dogs, but for service dogs.

A violation of the ADA will result in a fine of around $3,000/day, going to the aggrieved party.  A person could make a good living just visiting that store once a day with his dog and being turned away. Blind Woman And Guide Dog Told To Leave Tesco Over No Pets Policy 2984306523

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Is this on Twitter? Anyone can post any old rubbish on Twitter. I would think that most retail staff know that guide dogs are exempt from the no dogs rule.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down