NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sports Blackout Rule dropped? NFL WON'T

3 posters

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Go down

Sports Blackout Rule dropped? NFL WON'T Empty Sports Blackout Rule dropped? NFL WON'T

Post by groomsy Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:27 pm

The Federal Communications Commission voted 5-0 to eliminate its sports blackout rules Tuesday, but the NFL said that it doesn't plan to change the way its broadcasts are handled.

"NFL teams have made significant efforts in recent years to minimize blackouts," the NFL responded in a statement Tuesday. "The NFL is the only sports league that televises every one of its games on free, over-the-air television. The FCC's decision will not change that commitment for the foreseeable future.

The FCC says the rule was outdated and unnecessary. It was established in 1976 to prevent cable and satellite operators from airing sports events that were blacked out on local TV and to help boost ticket sales.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11617725/fcc-votes-drop-sports-blackouts-nfl-says-change
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Sports Blackout Rule dropped? NFL WON'T Empty Re: Sports Blackout Rule dropped? NFL WON'T

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:59 pm

I hate blackouts, I think they're so shortsighted. I imagine the sports leagues think that by granting this or that broadcaster exclusive rights, they'll make more money, but now that companies are springing up to webcast games, why would you want to limit your direct and indirect customer base like that?

I'll use me as an example -- I got rid of cable when it dawned on me I was paying $150/month for a box that I hadn't turned on in three months. Would I still be interested in seeing some games? Sure, but I can't without cable, so I do something else when they're on. So an exclusive contract means the league loses the opportunity to sell the broadcast, and the broadcaster to sell commercial views, to everyone like me.

It's the same reason so many TV shows are pirated -- people want to see them, but they don't want to be forced to subscribe to a service -- let alone a bloated, expensive service like cable TV.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Sports Blackout Rule dropped? NFL WON'T Empty Re: Sports Blackout Rule dropped? NFL WON'T

Post by Cass Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:36 am

the NFL HAS MADE significant efforts in recent years.....

can anyone else smell the bull cookies? pfft......
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down