NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is What Killed Richard III

3 posters

Go down

This Is What Killed Richard III Empty This Is What Killed Richard III

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Forensic analysis of King Richard III’s remains has provided a blow-by-blow account of the English monarch’s final moments, revealing he sustained 11 wounds at or near the time of his death.

Depicted by William Shakespeare as a bloodthirsty usurper, Richard ruled England from 1483 to 1485. He was killed in 1485 in the Battle of Bosworth, which was the last act of the decades-long fight over the throne known as War of the Roses. England’s last king to die in battle, he was defeated by Henry Tudor, who became King Henry VII.

The king’s twisted skeleton was found two years ago under a car park by archaeologists from the University of Leicester.

http://news.discovery.com/history/this-is-what-killed-richard-iii-140916.htm

Back to top Go down

This Is What Killed Richard III Empty Re: This Is What Killed Richard III

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Consistent with what we know.  Richard had already won the battle of Bosworth.  But he was chasing down Richmond (who was getting his hat) to put an end to the Lancastrian claim.

Chance...means more than all the preparation in the world.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:42 pm

Original Quill wrote:Consistent with what we know.  Richard had already won the battle of Bosworth.  But he was chasing down Richmond (who was getting his hat) to put an end to the Lancastrian claim.

Chance...means more than all the preparation in the world.

No that is not what I have ever heard about the battle, he made a charge which at this point he was making no ground in the battle and it cost him dear, his own life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Richard's strategy and motives in chasing down Richmond at the Battle of Bosworth, are outlined by Charles Ross:

Charles Ross wrote:"His intention in making the charge, therefore, is clear enough, his reasons for deciding to make it far less so. In this most historiographically inchoate of battles, many reasons may be suggested, but none can be proved. It may have been that he saw Norfolk's troops already in trouble against the main bulk of the Tudor forces, and that he could not readily engage the remainder of his own forces. It may have been that, already angered by the equivocal replies he had received from the Stanleys, and, seeing from his vantage point that Earl Henry was 'afar off' with only a small force of soldiers about him, 'all inflamed with ire, he struck his horse with his spurs, and runneth out of the une side without [i.e., around] the vanguard against him'. It was, therefore, so Polydore Vergil would have us believe, an impulsive and ill-considered act. Equally, he may have discerned that Sir William Stanley was preparing to engage, or had already engaged, on Henry's behalf, and that it was essential to attack Henry personally before the full weight of the substantial Stanley contingent came in from the north and was committed against him (although that is not what Polydore would have us believe)."

Ross, Charles, Richard III (1981).

Personally, I believe that Stanley entering the battle on Richmond's behalf was the difference. That left Richard with few options:

Charles Ross wrote:"On balance, it seems probably that Richard's action was a combination of impulse and calculation. To dispose rapidly of his rival, especially if he had become separated from the main body of his troops, was to be certain ov victory. Whether he wold have done better to wait until he was able to bring his superior force fully into action is again a matter of speculation. Whether desperate, ill-advised or merely premature, Richard's charge came remarkable close to success. It seems likely that he took with him only his own household men and the immediate personal friends who were beside him at the time, rather than the main 'battle' of '1,000 or more knights', as some have supposed. Most of these committed supporters were to share his own fate in the subsequent hand-to-hand fighting. Nevertheless, this small but determined squadron swept through the enemy ranks to close with Henry's immediate bodyguard. Richard himself, cut down Sir William Brandon, Henry's standard-bearer--the only casualty of note in Richmond's side--who could not have been more than a few feet from Henry himself. He then engaged and finally overbore Sir John Cheyne, described as a man of outstanding strength and foritude. At this stage his horse seems to have been killed under him. Two contemporary sources state that he had the chance of a fresh horse and of escape, but refused."

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:36 pm

Which is all fine accept to your earlier point where you claimed he was winning, which he never was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Didge wrote:Which is all fine accept to your earlier point where you claimed he was winning, which he never was.

Well, Ross' point was that Richard was winning, until Stanly entered the battle. So you've gotta be specific: at which point are you speaking?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:38 pm

This Is What Killed Richard III 66367F9661A9C521B71A45CEC166B2EFE6B3D024

KILL THE YORKISTS Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:31 am

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:Which is all fine accept to your earlier point where you claimed he was winning, which he never was.

Well, Ross' point was that Richard was winning, until Stanly entered the battle.  So you've gotta be specific: at which point are you speaking?

How exactly was he winning or are you just going off the size of armies?
For a start, Oxford, who was in command of Henry's army used a compact formation different from the standard traditional formations, with the marsh on his flank and was clearly getting the upper hand in the hand to hand ensuing battle against Norfolk. If he was not, why would Richard have called upon Northumberland for help? People disagree over if he refused or the fact he could not get through to help, but the sources indicate Norfolk was then killed and thus the matter worsened for Richard, where now he has lost a commander, thus losing cohesion in part of his army which no doubt left Richard with little choice but the gamble he took to go straight after Henry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 am

personally I have found this whole process fascinating.

my next question is will they, with the queens permission, do DNA testing on the bones found in the Tower that are supposedly the remains of Edward V and Richard, Duke of York?
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:01 am

Cass wrote:personally I have found this whole process fascinating.

my next question is will they, with the queens permission, do DNA testing on the bones found in the Tower that are supposedly the remains of Edward V and Richard, Duke of York?

What would it prove?  It would only show that the bodies were those of the two sons of Edward IV.  We can pretty much already surmise that.  But we still don't know who killed them...Richard or Henry Tudur?

Anyway, yes, it would be interesting to know for sure it was them.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Cass wrote:personally I have found this whole process fascinating.

Hi Me lady

I hope they do, as this can be put to rest also, I have always had doubts it is not them to be honest, even though the evidence clearly points to them, just some weird hunch, which I cannot put my finger on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:50 pm

hi guys - quill I just think it would give a definitive answer rather like when they found the bones of Nicholas II and his family and proved conclusively that Anna Anderson was not Anastasia and tracked down her real family. I love a good historical mystery.

Didge - interesting. well I have always thought it is them.

I personally think that Richard III looked the other way and whatisname.....ugh I hate getting old....did the actual deed on behalf of Richard III. Now as to why Henry VII didn't parade that fact loud and proud? Because I think he thought it would remind the people that there were others with a closer claim than him....hence why he married Elizabeth York (no I don't believe she loved or moped for Richard) to strengthen his claim although it grew into a loving and loyal union.

now I do believe that he caused the neglect by his rulings that led to the death of Clarence's son.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Cass wrote:hi guys - quill I just think it would give a definitive answer rather like when they found the bones of Nicholas II and his family and proved conclusively that Anna Anderson was not Anastasia and tracked down her real family. I love a good historical mystery.

Didge - interesting. well I have always thought it is them.

I personally think that Richard III looked the other way and whatisname.....ugh I hate getting old....did the actual deed on behalf of Richard III. Now as to why Henry VII didn't parade that fact loud and proud? Because I think he thought it would remind the people that there were others with a closer claim than him....hence why he married Elizabeth York (no I don't believe she loved or moped for Richard) to strengthen his claim although it grew into a loving and loyal union.

now I do believe that he caused the neglect by his rulings that led to the death of Clarence's son.

I have no counter to the evidence me lady, just a hunch, but we can only rely on what has been passed down by the victors, hence why there is a small part of me that is skeptical, though would be happy to admit if wrong. Something just does not add up, I cannot place my finger on this and maybe Henry did plant the evidence to point to Richard killing them.
Of course he stands to gain with them gone, I just am open minded on this, I think Richard sadly has been given a bad name mainly by Shakespeare.

What do you think, am interested?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:06 pm

oh heck yeah - Shakespeare was the ultimate Tudor propagandist but I think Richard was a power hungry spoiler little brat who after being given lots of lands and wealth in the north decided he wanted it all after Edward died. he hated Elizabeth Wydeville with a passion cause he was also a snob but he even thrashed his own mother, casting her as a slut basically, in order to show he had the rightful claim to the throne because Edward was an alleged bastard.

he got what he deserved in my opionion, just like the three previous Henry's.

oh what a tangled web they weaved.
ok got to go and get ready for work

byeeeeeeesssss x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Cass wrote:oh heck yeah - Shakespeare was the ultimate Tudor propagandist but I think Richard was a power hungry spoiler little brat who after being given lots of lands and wealth in the north decided he wanted it all after Edward died. he hated Elizabeth Wydeville with a passion cause he was also a snob but he even thrashed his own mother, casting her as a slut basically, in order to show he had the rightful claim to the throne because Edward was an alleged bastard.

he got what he deserved in my opionion, just like the three previous Henry's.

oh what a tangled web they weaved.
ok got to go and get ready for work

byeeeeeeesssss x

I think you described every King from that period for the last 200 years lol, hey ho, was looking for some different views on this as to why, because they were all spoilt to me.
When I look at history it is not just their personality, they all thought they were divinely a given in rule, but on what they did.
Again this is your field more that mine, I have studied the 100 years war, and even this is really a part ad, is not one of my specialties, which I know to you it is me Lady.
Still unsure here and we only have records after he was gone to go on.

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down