NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mum on holiday killed by a cow.

+3
Major
'Wolfie
Syl
7 posters

Go down

Mum on holiday killed by a cow. Empty Mum on holiday killed by a cow.

Post by Syl Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:26 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1679046/mother-killed-by-cow-did-not-stand-a-chance

Amazing statistic .."There have been 74 fatalities involving cattle recorded since 2000, with 18 of those being members of the public. In comparison dangerous dogs have killed 17 people in the last 8 years" Shocked
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Mum on holiday killed by a cow. Empty Re: Mum on holiday killed by a cow.

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Smile

AND, how many have been killed by/through/on horses in the same period ?

WHO KNOWS the most dangerous animal in Africa ?

NORTH AMERICA ?
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Syl Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:14 pm

I always think of cows as lovely docile timid creatures, it has never crossed my mind that they can turn for no reason.
Obviously if they have their calves with them people should be cautious, but that would apply to any animal.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:19 pm

It's a terribly reported story as all the pieces seem to be missing.

Sad though, and not something you hear of often, if ever.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:23 pm

eddie wrote:It's a terribly reported story as all the pieces seem to be missing.

The family are from greater Manchester and they have been on local radio today appealing for people to take care when crossing fields where cattle have access.
I agree the written story is a bit fragmented.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:25 pm

eddie wrote:It's a terribly reported story as all the pieces seem to be missing.

Cows are actually quite dangerous when there are calves about.  Just before my Dad, brother and I went on holiday the year before last, my brother and his wife and dog were walking in Northumberland (they live in Newcastle) and walked through a field with cows in.  Done it hundreds of times before.  This time the cows charged and one got my brother up against a wall.  He managed to scramble over, but when he came on holiday he was black and blue all over with badly bruised ribs.

In the summer, the water meadows here have cows roaming in them.  The cows are a breed that have always spent the summer on the meadows and the local butcher owns a lot of them, but there are signs everywhere to be careful around them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 pm

perhaps we should ban them?

like cats ...i mean obviously there is a danger to the stupid public and to stupid individuals

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:32 pm

Lord Foul wrote:perhaps we should ban them?

like cats ...i mean obviously there is a danger to the stupid public and to stupid individuals

Oh do stop with the stupidity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Well...you would have to be pretty stupid to go into a field holding cows with calves

WHEN IT IS COMMON KNOWLEGE that cows with calves are far more dangerous than bulls...

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:37 pm

In my brother's case there were no calves. 

Cows are dangerous, people don't realise, cows with calves doubly so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:41 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Well...you would have to be pretty stupid to go into a field holding cows with calves

WHEN IT IS COMMON KNOWLEGE that cows with calves are far more dangerous than bulls...

Well according to the family of the woman who was killed, they were walking on a right of way, through farmland. A riding school is also in the vicinity, and the whole area is popular with visitors and hikers..
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:41 pm

sassy wrote:In my brother's case there were no calves. 

are you sure they were cows and not bullocks?
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:42 pm

I had no idea there had been so many fatalities involving cows.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:44 pm

Cows, 100% sure.

The farmers rescued them and said he was a bit worried as that was the second time it had happened.   It was a right of way that my brother had used many times before.  His wife and their dog managed to get over the wall with him helping them, but the cow got him.  The farmer had to rescue them because the only way back was through the field.   Luckily he was working near and heard them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Syl wrote:

I had no idea there had been so many fatalities involving cows.

Don't think many people do Syl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Syl wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:Well...you would have to be pretty stupid to go into a field holding cows with calves

Well according to the family of the woman who was killed, they were walking on a right of way, through farmland. A riding school is also in the vicinity, and the whole area is popular with visitors and hikers..

of course THAT absolves them TOTALLY of any responsibility for their own safety doesnt it.

=(clearly the farme bears responsibility since HE should know better and putting potentially dangerous and unpredictable animals in a field without protecting the foot path shouldnt be done)

BUT ultimately YOU are responsible for your own health and safety.......

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:48 pm

That's very scary Sassy.
This family (in the op) said the cow who attacked was scraping and clawing the ground afterwards....the sort of behaviour I would have thought more associated with a bull.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:49 pm

Yep, that's exactly what my brother said they were doing.  When I saw how black and blue he was I was surprised he escaped with just bruises.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:50 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Syl wrote:

of course THAT absolves them TOTALLY of any responsibility for their own safety doesnt it.

=(clearly the farme bears responsibility since HE should know better and putting potentially dangerous and unpredictable animals in a field without protecting the foot path shouldnt be done)

BUT  ultimately YOU are responsible for your own health and safety.......

I think the family were being responsible. There has been no suggestion otherwise.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:55 pm

sassy wrote:Yep, that's exactly what my brother said they were doing.  When I saw how black and blue he was I was surprised he escaped with just bruises.

This womans injuries were said by the consultant who saw her as to be the worst he had ever seen, equivalent to those of a high speed crash...so your brother was very lucky in the circumstances.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:57 pm

Syl wrote:
sassy wrote:Yep, that's exactly what my brother said they were doing.  When I saw how black and blue he was I was surprised he escaped with just bruises.

This womans injuries were said by the consultant who saw her as to be the worst he had ever seen, equivalent to those of a high speed crash...so your brother was very lucky in the circumstances.

He sure was, frightened the hell out of me when I saw what they had done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:59 pm

Syl wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Syl wrote:

BUT  ultimately YOU are responsible for your own health and safety.......

I think the family were being responsible. There has been no suggestion otherwise.

naturally, as is always the case in these situations reality has to give way to "sensibilities" these days

the plain fact is that you DONT go in a field that contains cows with calves....simples...

christ on a bike WE knew that as young kids...
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:30 pm

You should NEVER take a dog with you when walking by cows, if there are calfs around the cows will charge the dog. if the dog is close to you they will butt you. Best thing to do is release the dog and let it run, most times the cows will follow the dog while you get away.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:38 am

Stormee wrote:Fishing for barbel on the River Severn I had to pass through a herd of bullockz and they got stroppy, I lashed out with a bank stick, shouted and they backed off, I had seen a farmer stick a bull so copied him..
I was not happy going back through them but they behaved .  

Cattle become very 'Matriarchal' when there's not a bull to run herd/control them; so they establish a pecking order and one will assume the Large & In Charge position --- they do not like strangers and as you've all stated - especially during calving time!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:05 am

geek

HAS ANYONE BOTHERED TO ACTUALLY ANALYSE the figures ?

74 Deaths involving cattle between 2000 and 2015, in Britain  ???

ON AVERAGE, that is less than 5 a year..
THE WAY some people are discussing this, you would think it was 74 a year !

HOW MANY were on farms, with farm workers ?
How many were at an abbatoirs ?
How many involved 'members of the public' on rights of way, or those attacked or knocked by escaped animals ?
How many of the incidents were deliberate attacks and how many were accidental (e.g. crushes, rollovers, trampled by spooked animals..) ?           scratch
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:00 am

LOL, while those stats might appear trivial to you...to the DEAD it's a rather shocking methodology to DIE---
DEATH BY BOVINES; just isn't something you'd expect to see on aunties death certificate Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:21 am

I really shouldn't laugh at that - but I did lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:40 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:geek

HAS ANYONE BOTHERED TO ACTUALLY ANALYSE the figures ?

74 Deaths involving cattle between 2000 and 2015, in Britain  ???

ON AVERAGE, that is less than 5 a year..
THE WAY some people are discussing this, you would think it was 74 a year !

HOW MANY were on farms, with farm workers ?
How many were at an abbatoirs ?
How many involved 'members of the public' on rights of way, or those attacked or knocked by escaped animals ?
How many of the incidents were deliberate attacks and how many were accidental (e.g. crushes, rollovers, trampled by spooked animals..) ?           scratch

I don't think anyone is saying that there is a mass culling of humans by cows, but 5 deaths a year in the last 16 years is still alarming, and tragic if you are a family member of one of the people who have been killed.

The number of people who have been killed by dogs is far less (17 people in 8 years) not that many....not worth mentioning really Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:51 pm

Mum on holiday killed by a cow. 1191311443

WITH EVERYONE who dies, if each death is considered as a unique event, than the reason for that death can be seen as a 100% result..

PEOPLE are terrified of sharks, but where and when was the last shark attack around Europe ?

ONLY 4 OR 5 people are recorded as killed by sharks around the  world each year, on average -- evenly spread between Australia, Japan, South Africa and the USA, and everywhere else combined is a distant fifth..    (Obviously, this doesn't include people who disappear swimming off beaches, skindiving, in fishing and boatinhg accidents, or plane crashes at sea -- where bodies are never recovered to verify cause of death..). 
EVEN IN the main shark attack countries, there may be 3 or 4 deaths in any one country in one year, and then none for a couple of years.

OVER HERE, you can find people so scared of sharks that they never even visit a beach, let alone enter the surf.. 
AND MANY will never go bush because they're terrified of snakes.  And other wee beasties..

WITH the ready availabilty of antivenes these days, deaths down here from spiders and snakes each averages less than one a year; and that compares with a couple from cattle, 3 or 4 from beestings, and 7 involving horses (!). Combined deaths from poisonous fish, octopus, jellyfish and 'conefish' (a mollusc) together is lucky to reach 1 each year..

HUMAN DEATHS involving animals will total only around 27->30 or so fatalities each year in Australia...
IF THESE figures can be reliably extrapolated (?), then maybe 70-80 people in the UK, and 400 or thereabouts in the USA, will die in animal-related incidents each year ???

OF COURSE, death rates could also be expected to be higher in those parts of places like Africa and India, where people will have closer and more frequent contact with animals, and where rabies is prevalent..

ON AVERAGE, people in developed Western countries will have much more chance of dying from falling out of bed, falling down the stairs, being struck by lightning, or drowning in the bath, then they do of dying by any one type of animal..

AND THAT'S even before looking at deaths from such things as motor vehicles, cigarettes, high fat diets, asthma, arthritis, diabetes.  
Or gun deaths in the USA..
Pleasant dreams, everybody !!!Mum on holiday killed by a cow. 3986371719
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:57 pm

I  blame Jaws.....most sharks are harmless. Mum on holiday killed by a cow. SharkMum on holiday killed by a cow. Shark
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:03 pm

Yeah...but Wolfie...dont you know the 100's of deaths and 10's 1000's of maimings every year due to vehicles is acceptable
apparantly...It seems some folks rights to do as they like overides others, and others "right to life"

seems like an "agenda driven, selective blindness" to me
Mum on holiday killed by a cow. 2190311264
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:33 am

I wonder where the insult "you silly cow" came from?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:02 am

That reminds me of this old song, if i,ve got it right,

Doeseatoats and Mareseatoats
and little lambseativy.

Is there any more?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:39 pm

nicko wrote:That reminds me of this old song,   if i,ve got it right,

Doeseatoats and Mareseatoats
and little lambseativy.

Is there any more?

Kids'lleativytoo,
wouldn'tewe?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:00 pm

I thought it was...'diddleivedo wouldn't you'.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Syl wrote:I thought it was...'diddleivedo wouldn't you'.

It's all about deer, horses, sheep and goats, and what they eat.

Wiki wrote:The song's refrain, as written on the sheet music, seems meaningless:

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, Wooden shoe!"

However, the lyrics of the bridge provide a clue:

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey,

Sing "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy."

This hint allows the ear to translate the final line as "[a] kid'll eat ivy, too, wouldn't you?"

It's a jumble puzzle...resolved by thinking of the animals.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:31 pm

They don't write em like that anymore. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:35 pm

I know. It took me the longest time before it dawned on me. Razz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down