NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bank Holiday Monday

+2
Ben Reilly
Irn Bru
6 posters

Go down

Bank Holiday Monday Empty Bank Holiday Monday

Post by Irn Bru Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 am

Did anyone do anything special yesterday or even over the weekend as used to happen on these days like going out with the family for the day or just doing something different with them or with friends?

Wasn't much of a holiday up here with mostly all the shops open and people carrying on as usual going to work. Most companies have now done away with these mandatory days by allowing employees to roll up all the single days into the yearly entitlement.

Is it like that elsewhere or is this just something that happens in Scotland?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Bank Holiday Monday Empty Re: Bank Holiday Monday

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 am

FTL was telling me about your rainy cold Bank Holiday ... while it was 40 and dry as a bone here in Tejas Smile

Don't know about the UK, but it seems like in the U.S. we're doing the same thing more and more. Some people at my company have to work on holidays (because the news still happens and needs to be reported, after all) but it's expanded to companies that shouldn't strictly have to be open on holidays.

Just fodder for my theory that business owners are always going to do everything they can get away with and a lot of things they probably won't get away with in the long term -- a lot of them are the sort who can't see past short-term gain ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banking_crisis_of_2008#Systemic_crisis
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:44 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:FTL was telling me about your rainy cold Bank Holiday ... while it was 40 and dry as a bone here in Tejas Smile

Don't know about the UK, but it seems like in the U.S. we're doing the same thing more and more. Some people at my company have to work on holidays (because the news still happens and needs to be reported, after all) but it's expanded to companies that shouldn't strictly have to be open on holidays.

Just fodder for my theory that business owners are always going to do everything they can get away with and a lot of things they probably won't get away with in the long term -- a lot of them are the sort who can't see past short-term gain ...

Same thing here really. Seems a shame that traditional holidays like that have been diminished when families went out together to resorts and attractions which were busy and people were all having a really good time.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:56 am

Irn Bru wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:FTL was telling me about your rainy cold Bank Holiday ... while it was 40 and dry as a bone here in Tejas Smile

Same thing here really. Seems a shame that traditional holidays like that have been diminished when families went out together to resorts and attractions which were busy and people were all having a really good time.

Absolutely, Jefferson wrote about how he didn't want to see the U.S. become like Europe of his day, when the majority of people toiled for most of the day to eek out an existence. While things are surely better now, I think we've tipped back toward the view of working non-stop and not taking time to enjoy life ... I know that's the trend in the U.S. and has been for a long time, I hate to see that viewpoint succeed elsewhere (because I do think it's connected and to some extent coordinated).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:03 pm

Irn Bru wrote:Did anyone do anything special yesterday or even over the weekend as used to happen on these days like going out with the family for the day or just doing something different with them or with friends?

Wasn't much of a holiday up here with mostly all the shops open and people carrying on as usual going to work. Most companies have now done away with these mandatory days by allowing employees to roll up all the single days into the yearly entitlement.

Is it like that elsewhere or is this just something that happens in Scotland?

Yes,most of the shops are open here in Wales too Irn but they shut earlier like Sunday hours.

I had coffee with my mum which might not sound exciting,well ok. it wasn't exciting ::D:: Nice though.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Absolutely, Jefferson wrote about how he didn't want to see the U.S. become like Europe of his day, when the majority of people toiled for most of the day to eek out an existence. While things are surely better now, I think we've tipped back toward the view of working non-stop and not taking time to enjoy life ... I know that's the trend in the U.S. and has been for a long time, I hate to see that viewpoint succeed elsewhere (because I do think it's connected and to some extent coordinated).

This is most notable in the UK during the Christmas period.
People work right up to Christmas Day and then the sales start 8am What a Face on Boxing Day.

So the people working in retail have literally ONE day off over Christmas.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:34 pm

Irn Bru wrote:

The sheer number of people trying to do just that has probably put a lot of people off. You can barely move here for people and traffic as it is, never mind on a bank holiday.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:10 pm

People cannot and will not spend time in their homes anymore.

They all have to go out and 'shop'.

Which means people in retail outlets have to work all the hours Godsends.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:19 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

This is most notable in the UK during the Christmas period.
People work right up to Christmas Day and then the sales start 8am What a Face on Boxing Day.

So the people working in retail have literally ONE day off over Christmas.

it used ti be here that everywhere had Thanksgiving off but because the next day is Black Friday more and more stores were opening at midnight then 10pm then 8pm and now some don't even close. senior boy and his ff barely had time to eat their turkey before rushing back to get ready.

a lot of places are now doing same with Christmas day as boxing day is not done over here. we always have a shindig on Christmas Eve so we are pretty quiet on the day itself. we went out to brunch at Dennys (made sure to give the waitress a HUGE tip) and then ate leftovers from the party or some special bits I bought later that night.

our next holiday is Monday coming but since my branch is closed already I still get to take 5 hours off later on in the week - SCORE.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:52 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:People cannot and will not spend time in their homes anymore.

Depends on what their job is. Retail has a lot of shift work.

I agree though - shopping has become a national pastime.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:People cannot and will not spend time in their homes anymore.

I hate shopping, that is what the internet is for Bank Holiday Monday Yes10 Bank Holiday Monday Happy_20

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:06 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I hate shopping, that is what the internet is for Bank Holiday Monday Yes10 Bank Holiday Monday Happy_20

Indeed. However, it's far too easy, which is why I now have a lot of stuff I'm giving away. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Indeed. However, it's far too easy, which is why I now have a lot of stuff I'm giving away. Laughing

See, internet shopping is great for charities too!  It's a win win Bank Holiday Monday Thumbs41

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
feelthelove wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I will take any of your extra hard liquor, nunchucks or hot sauce you might be wanting to part with.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:42 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I will take any of your extra hard liquor, nunchucks or hot sauce you might be wanting to part with.

I already gave those to charity - sorry. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:36 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

We went to one of you favourite places on Sunday :-) Recovered Monday whilst having a lazy day ! x
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm

David wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

We went to one of you favourite places on Sunday :-)  Recovered Monday whilst having a lazy day ! x

Hello Lovely David Bank Holiday Monday Smiley68 xxx

Hope you both had a good time, wish I could have been there too!  Sounds like a perfect weekend I love you

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:13 pm

feelthelove wrote:
David wrote:
We went to one of you favourite places on Sunday :-)  Recovered Monday whilst having a lazy day ! x

Hope you both had a good time, wish I could have been there too!  Sounds like a perfect weekend I love you

I wished you all could have been there too ::D::
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:22 pm

David wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

We must do that again I love you would love to see you guys :astwinsas: xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:24 pm

feelthelove wrote:
David wrote:

We must do that again I love you would love to see you guys :astwinsas: xxx

Of course cheers cheers
David
David