NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gun owner makes argument for reasonable gun restrictions in U.S.

3 posters

Go down

Gun owner makes argument for reasonable gun restrictions in U.S. Empty Gun owner makes argument for reasonable gun restrictions in U.S.

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:31 pm

This is from Quora, I think it's fantastic:

It's easier for me to go buy a .50 caliber sniper rifle than over the counter allergy medication; with a few easily-acquired attachments and accessories (that require absolutely nothing but money to buy) I can turn just about any semi-automatic assault weapon available (and there are tons available) in to one capable of firing at near fully-automatic rates; the only limit to how many rounds of ammunition I can acquire is how many I can afford, and I can feed those rounds in to weapons with belts and drums and high-capacity magazines that enable me to fire off dozens and even hundreds of rounds before having to reload.

I can assure you the licensing process that allows me to carry multiple concealed weapons - such as the "assault pistol" in the photo - in most every state is less stringent than getting a drivers license and easier than getting a license to cut hair. And if I simply want to own assault weapons without attempting to conceal-carry them, there's really no licensing process at all. None at all.

Sure, there's a 2nd Amendment. Sure, there are practical reasons to own guns. But to deny the absurdity behind how easily anyone can get guns and what types of guns they can get is irrational; to suggest no reasonable attempts at limitation and regulation exist is also irrational. Existing laws are already insufficient and far too lax, and at the same time manufacturers are able to circumvent them so effectively they might as well not exist; pro-gun legislators and the gun-lobby have purposefully ensured states and municipalities either can't pass laws, or can't effectively enforce whatever laws they do manage to pass.

http://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-there-are-some-no-brainer-gun-control-laws-that-should-be-passed
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Gun owner makes argument for reasonable gun restrictions in U.S. Empty Re: Gun owner makes argument for reasonable gun restrictions in U.S.

Post by veya_victaous Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:12 pm

I think it is terrifying pale pale pale
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Gun owner makes argument for reasonable gun restrictions in U.S. Empty Re: Gun owner makes argument for reasonable gun restrictions in U.S.

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:18 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I think it is terrifying pale pale pale

The situation he describes is terrifying -- but in a country in which columnists are fired for bringing up the possibility of a debate over reasonable gun laws*, it's nice to hear somebody talking sense.

* http://www.businessinsider.com/dick-metcalf-interview-2014-1 (yes, we have "gun journalists")
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:31 pm

ben Suspect Suspect Suspect you're not making it LESS terrifying pale pale pale
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:03 pm

sadly it no longer matters about the common good and society as a whole because its all down to ME ME ME AND MY GOD GIVEN RIGHTS IN THE CONSTITUTION.

pfft......
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down