NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mandatory reporting of child abuse could put more children at risk, warns Theresa May

5 posters

Go down

Mandatory reporting of child abuse could put more children at risk, warns Theresa May Empty Mandatory reporting of child abuse could put more children at risk, warns Theresa May

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Mandatory reporting of child abuse could put more children at risk, warns Theresa May Mayooo_2966747b

Forcing teachers and other professionals to report child abuse suspicions or face prosecution could lead to fewer children being protected, Theresa May has said.

The Home Secretary confirmed to MPs in a debate in the House of Commons that the Government is looking at changing the law to bring in the mandatory reporting of suspicions of child abuse.

Mrs May denounced the “complete dereliction of duty” of Rotherham Council and the local police after a harrowing report detailed the grooming of at least 1,400 children and young people in the town over 16 years. She said that “the fear of being seen as racist” over tackling the perpetators, many of whom were Asian. She said the Government is considering launching an investigation into “institutionalised political correctness” in the wake of the Rotherham child abuse scandal.

David Cameron, the Prime Minister, said last month that he was prepared to introduce mandatory reporting of child abuse, a change in the law which has been backed by the NSPCC and Keir Starmer, a former Director of Public Prosecutions.

This would force a legal duty on institutions like hospitals, children's homes and boarding schools to report abuse.
However, Mrs May said today that she was concerned this change in the law could mean fewer children are protected because authorities were overwhelmed with reports of false claims of child abuse.

Mrs May was challenged over whether the Government should bring in mandatory reporting by Labour in a debate sparked by the Rotherham child abuse scandal.
Read More : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11070187/Mandatory-reporting-of-child-abuse-could-put-more-children-at-risk-warns-Theresa-May.html

"Forcing teachers and other professionals to report child abuse suspicions or face prosecution"

I am amazed it's not already mandatory? The fact that services might be overwhelmed is a lame excuse; every single child out there deserves to be protected Sad

Back to top Go down

Mandatory reporting of child abuse could put more children at risk, warns Theresa May Empty Re: Mandatory reporting of child abuse could put more children at risk, warns Theresa May

Post by David Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:03 pm

I thought it was compulsory too Sad
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Mandatory reporting of child abuse could put more children at risk, warns Theresa May Empty Re: Mandatory reporting of child abuse could put more children at risk, warns Theresa May

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:06 pm

If you have a safe guarding issue then you have to act. If its not compulsory then it must be made so immediately.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Agreed Lovely David and Nems, it's the right thing to do and I suspect it's already best practice. This is not an area to scrimp and scrape in terms of budget Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Nems wrote:If you have a safe guarding issue then you have to act. If its not compulsory then it must be made so immediately.
Is it a bit like non assistance to a person in danger like in France Nems?
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:32 pm

That is insane. In the U.S. if you know about a crime but don't report it, that makes you an accessory to it.

Which, of course, makes many of us "technically" accessories, seeing as I, for example, didn't turn my neighbor's son over to the police when he offered to sell me weed ... but that's something I can live with. I couldn't live with knowledge of a kid being abused without going to the authorities; who could?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:That is insane. In the U.S. if you know about a crime but don't report it, that makes you an accessory to it.

Which, of course, makes many of us "technically" accessories, seeing as I, for example, didn't turn my neighbor's son over to the police when he offered to sell me weed ... but that's something I can live with. I couldn't live with knowledge of a kid being abused without going to the authorities; who could?

Same in France Ben.
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Here Teachers Doctors and few others have a legal duty to report signs of Child abuse to Dept of Community Services (DOCS) then it is up to DOCS to decide if it warrants further investigation.
I don't think a Teacher that didn't report it would go to jail but they would be open to compensation lawsuit from victim because they failed in their 'duty of care'
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:57 am

David wrote:
Nems wrote:If you have a safe guarding issue then you have to act. If its not compulsory then it must be made so immediately.

I dont know David I think the French law applies to the public too doesnt it?
I thought this was more for professionals? Im not sure tbh.
At my work if a safeguarding issue comes up you drop everything else to deal with it.
We always seem to get them at half four on a Friday Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:That is insane. In the U.S. if you know about a crime but don't report it, that makes you an accessory to it.

Lol...Erm..got your neighbor's kid's phone number, perchance Ben?

Just kidding! Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Same old, same old. From what I can see, children are still being abused. Nothing in law or done by government in the past or today has ever seriously moved forward to protect them.

While past crimes are not openly dealt with the problem will continue!
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:52 pm

captainJane wrote:Same old, same old. From what I can see, children are still being abused. Nothing in law or done by government in the past or today has ever seriously moved forward to protect them.

While past crimes are not openly dealt with the problem will continue!

That is a very good point

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:49 pm

veya_victaous wrote:Here Teachers Doctors and few others have a legal duty to report signs of Child abuse to Dept of Community Services (DOCS) then it is up to DOCS to decide if it warrants further investigation.
I don't think a Teacher that didn't report it would go to jail but they would be open to compensation lawsuit from victim because they failed in their 'duty of care'

Absolutely how it should be Veya.  To be honest there shouldn't have to be a legal duty, it should be a moral one.  Every single child deserves to be protected Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:52 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Lol...Erm..got your neighbor's kid's phone number, perchance Ben?

Just kidding! Laughing

Haha, his dad interceded (mind you, the "kid's" a 20-something) ... he knew I work for a newspaper and I think he didn't want to risk it! Not that I'd turn somebody in for selling pot :aspffftas:
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:13 am

Nems wrote:
David wrote:

I dont know David I think the French law applies to the public too doesnt it?
I thought this was more for professionals? Im not sure tbh.
At my work if  a safeguarding issue comes up you drop everything else to deal with it.
We always seem to get them at half four on a Friday Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  

The law covers all French citizens in any situation. If you see a person in danger whatever the danger is you need to assist them.
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down