NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today's Democrats embody the best of the old Republican agenda -- really!

2 posters

Go down

Today's Democrats embody the best of the old Republican agenda -- really! Empty Today's Democrats embody the best of the old Republican agenda -- really!

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:10 am

Today's Democrats embody the best of the old Republican agenda -- really! 1ike
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Today's Democrats embody the best of the old Republican agenda -- really! Empty Re: Today's Democrats embody the best of the old Republican agenda -- really!

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:14 am

By the way -- Eisenhower had the Republican Party bragging about how much union membership increased while his administration was in power!

Not to mention one of the most sober and eloquent assessments of what war really means:

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

This world in arms in not spending money alone.

It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities.

It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population.

It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals.

It is some 50 miles of concrete highway.

We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat.

We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people.

This, I repeat, is the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking.

This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

Gives me chills every time I read that.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Today's Democrats embody the best of the old Republican agenda -- really! Empty Re: Today's Democrats embody the best of the old Republican agenda -- really!

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:27 am

And Ike made some of the best judicial appointments to the US Supreme Court. Chief Justice Earl Warren, former governor of California, former District Attorney for Oakland (Alameda County), for one.

But I have to take issue with your notion that Republicans were once a good party. They always had the one flaw: devotion to special interests. Read as, money.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Original Quill wrote:And Ike made some of the best judicial appointments to the US Supreme Court.  Chief Justice Earl Warren, former governor of California, former District Attorney for Oakland (Alameda County), for one.

But I have to take issue with your notion that Republicans were once a good party.  They always had the one flaw: devotion to special interests.  Read as, money.

Not so much saying they were good as saying they were once much better; I think the Democrats have wrested every good thing the Republicans have come up with and left the GOP on the wrong side of everything from environment to health care to race relations, where it used to be pretty decent on such issues.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:And Ike made some of the best judicial appointments to the US Supreme Court.  Chief Justice Earl Warren, former governor of California, former District Attorney for Oakland (Alameda County), for one.

But I have to take issue with your notion that Republicans were once a good party.  They always had the one flaw: devotion to special interests.  Read as, money.

Not so much saying they were good as saying they were once much better; I think the Democrats have wrested every good thing the Republicans have come up with and left the GOP on the wrong side of everything from environment to health care to race relations, where it used to be pretty decent on such issues.

Don't forget, the Republicans did it to themselves by adopting the Southern Strategy. See, Lee, Atwater.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down