NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is wrong with the UK economy

+2
Ben Reilly
veya_victaous
6 posters

Go down

What is wrong with the UK economy  Empty What is wrong with the UK economy

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:12 am

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/uk-bosses-are-earning-131-times-more-than-staff/story-e6frfm9r-1227030046266

THE heads of Britain’s largest companies earned 131 times as much as their average employee last year, according to a study exposing the growing pay gap between bosses and workers.

The wage divide has more than doubled since 1998, when the average chief executive of firms in the FTSE 100 earnt 47 times as much as staff, the report, which was published on Monday, said.

The British government has brought in laws to curb executive pay and bonuses since the financial crisis, but a severe squeeze on wage growth has fuelled public anger about highly-paid senior executives.

“When bosses make hundreds of times as much money as the rest of the workforce, it creates a deep sense of unfairness,” said Deborah Hargreaves, director of the High Pay Centre think-tank, which wrote the report.

Martin Sorrell, who heads up marketing giant WPP, took home a pay package nearly 800 times bigger than his employees of 29.8 million pounds ($54.39 million), the study found.

At retailer Next, boss Simon Wolfson earned almost 460 times as much as his average worker in 2013 — but then chose to distribute his bonus to staff.

The chief of mining group Randgold Resources, Mark Bristow, was paid 4.4 million pounds last year — 231 as much as his average employee.

The study comes after the Bank of England last week halved its pay growth forecast for this year to below the rate of inflation at 1.25 per cent.

well from 47 times the average wage to 131 times the average wage is 84 average wages you have to slash. No wonder UK economy is so bad, 1 CEO (arguably the members of society with the least REAL output) are being paid more than 100 real workers.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

What is wrong with the UK economy  Empty Re: What is wrong with the UK economy

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:35 am

I interviewed the CEO of a large American corporation once, I asked him what a CEO actually did all day. He told me that he was in meetings from the time he got to work to the time he got home. Which means, he signs off on other people's ideas that they actually researched and put time into.

A big part of why the world is so messed up is that we keep rewarding these lizard-brain people ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:46 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:I interviewed the CEO of a large American corporation once, I asked him what a CEO actually did all day. He told me that he was in meetings from the time he got to work to the time he got home. Which means, he signs off on other people's ideas that they actually researched and put time into.

A big part of why the world is so messed up is that we keep rewarding these lizard-brain people ...

Lol
anyone in project work knows that... Honestly I could present a system that in no feasible way will work
But if no other techie speaks up the Super-high paid upper management would still approve it and waste millions in the process(their sole excuses for getting paid at all is to prevent that which they wouldn't) and I could Quit Laughing my ass off well before it reached catastrophe. I'm sure they would do the best to pass the Buck completely ignoring the fact that the Root cause is their complete incapacity to do their job.

and we could replace them with FAR more efficient and effective computer system EASILY. the CEO is the EASIEST person to get a computer to replace. that its the problem we have these Rich useless fucks that think they deserve to earn lots because they already have lots.. but they are literally just inefficiency I know in MOST of the organisation you could literally Just remove the CEO and CIO and NOT replace them with anything and the organisation would run more efficiently as all they did was ask stupid questions.
Meeting are NOT work if you think they are DO SOME REAL WORK !!!!!!  Cool Cool Cool Cool 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:55 am

Oh, absolutely -- I tend to think that everyone capable of corporate survival but incapable of actually working gets made a manager Smile

And yes, a computer could replace a CEO and do at least as good a job in most cases -- consider that the typical CEO's response to declining profits is to announce a raft of layoffs. Who couldn't come up with that response? A computer program could easily have come up with that, and probably could have for 30-40 years now. True creativity and humanity would come up with a better way for a company to remain competitive, I think. But as a great mentor of mine told me, that's not how these people are taught to think. They just cut expenses.

So yeah, we could all figure out how to do that. Why aren't we all paid millions per year? For that matter, if you gave me a year's CEO salary I guarantee I could come up with ideas like the Apple Newton, the Ford Edsel or any number of products that crashed and burned while the people who signed off on them got richer than I'll ever be!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:08 am

But the cap doffers and forelock tuggers keep telling us that it's fine because the guys at the top pay more tax than the ordinary Joe Soap.

Well the one's that haven't bothered to stash it away somewhere to avoid paying what the government expects them to pay that is.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:44 am

veya_victaous wrote:http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/uk-bosses-are-earning-131-times-more-than-staff/story-e6frfm9r-1227030046266

THE heads of Britain’s largest companies earned 131 times as much as their average employee last year, according to a study exposing the growing pay gap between bosses and workers.

The wage divide has more than doubled since 1998, when the average chief executive of firms in the FTSE 100 earnt 47 times as much as staff, the report, which was published on Monday, said.

The British government has brought in laws to curb executive pay and bonuses since the financial crisis, but a severe squeeze on wage growth has fuelled public anger about highly-paid senior executives.

“When bosses make hundreds of times as much money as the rest of the workforce, it creates a deep sense of unfairness,” said Deborah Hargreaves, director of the High Pay Centre think-tank, which wrote the report.

Martin Sorrell, who heads up marketing giant WPP, took home a pay package nearly 800 times bigger than his employees of 29.8 million pounds ($54.39 million), the study found.

At retailer Next, boss Simon Wolfson earned almost 460 times as much as his average worker in 2013 — but then chose to distribute his bonus to staff.

The chief of mining group Randgold Resources, Mark Bristow, was paid 4.4 million pounds last year — 231 as much as his average employee.

The study comes after the Bank of England last week halved its pay growth forecast for this year to below the rate of inflation at 1.25 per cent.

well from 47 times the average wage to 131 times the average wage is 84 average wages you have to slash. No wonder UK economy is so bad, 1 CEO (arguably the members of society with the least REAL output) are being paid more than 100 real workers.
Economic activity comes in cycles, Thomas Piketty "capital in the 21st century" (an excellent read) tells us that the only way forward is to tax progressively, improve and maintain higher living standards for everyone and to invest in long term infrastructure projects that benefit an advancing society.

This is a long way off, but we're going through the birth and death pangs of such a society now, interestingly the higher the living standards the lower the population growth, as humans tend to progress into "self pursuit", in fact there is some evidence to suggest that without immigration some economies could be restricted by falling populations of workers vs the massive growth in pensioners.

If you think about it logically and put your pathetic racist meanderings to one side, you would see this as an inevitability.

Sometimes one should simply look at the natural order of things to extrapolate a reasonable outcome.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Good afternoon Folks.

But don't worry,because if the latest General Election polls are correct,Labour will win it.

And then we'll have their brilliant financial stategy to look forward to......fantastic eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:So how many times the average wage of an employee should a CEO be paid then?

Keep in mind it's the average pay.

Personally I would push to limit to 20 times but would be willing to accept up to 50 times
anything more than that and I think it is time for VIVA LA REVOLUTION
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:52 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Fuzzy Zack wrote:
So how many times the average wage of an employee should a CEO be paid then?

Keep in mind it's the average pay.

Personally I would push to limit to 20 times but would be willing to accept up to 50 times
anything more than that and I think it is time for VIVA LA REVOLUTION

Suspect 

NO CEO's are even worthy of salaries 20x the national average family income, let alone 50 times   !!!

I would limit the CEO's basic salary-package to only 6 times the average worker's basic income for that particular corporation  ~  AND THEN pay his bonuses only in the way of reasonable share issues and discounts..

THIS way the CEO's are paid purely on performance (inc. social and environmental costs in a suitably expanded "performance criteria" agreement..), and not based on some corporate chum/'old boys pissing in each other's pockets..' backroom deals.   farao

yeah but as if you'd ever be able to get 6 times past parliament  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down