NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First female warship commander sent home from Plymouth-based HMS Portland amid on-board affair claims

3 posters

Go down

First female warship commander sent home from Plymouth-based HMS Portland amid on-board affair claims Empty First female warship commander sent home from Plymouth-based HMS Portland amid on-board affair claims

Post by Irn Bru Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:28 pm

BRITAIN'S first female warship commander has been sent home amid claims she had an affair with another officer.

Commander Sarah West, who has been in charge of Plymouth-based HMS Portland since 2012, was sent home from duty amid claims she was having a relationship with a fellow officer on board the ship.

National media reports claim the 42-year-old would have been in breach of the Armed Forces’ Code of Social Conduct, which prohibits personnel from having relationships with subordinates if they compromise ‘operational effectiveness’.

Cdr West retains her position while the Royal Navy investigates.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/female-warship-commander-sent-home-Plymouth-based/story-21941935-detail/story.html#VSpTe5mVKtxlcZjZ.99

Shady been around today?

Smile 

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

First female warship commander sent home from Plymouth-based HMS Portland amid on-board affair claims Empty Re: First female warship commander sent home from Plymouth-based HMS Portland amid on-board affair claims

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:19 am

Sounds very suspect to me, like somebody was gunning for the first female warship commander. I'm fairly certain that even if she had an affair with a subordinate, she was not the first in her position to do so Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

First female warship commander sent home from Plymouth-based HMS Portland amid on-board affair claims Empty Re: First female warship commander sent home from Plymouth-based HMS Portland amid on-board affair claims

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:41 pm

Yes...definitely more to this story.

Even if her crime was fraternizing with a subordinate, it's a clear case of a double standard.

Even if fraternizing with a subordinate is a crime, if carried to extremes it leads to an absurdity. Everyone outranks someone, if time in grade counts.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:Yes...definitely more to this story.

Even if her crime was fraternizing with a subordinate, it's a clear case of a double standard.

Even if fraternizing with a subordinate is a crime, if carried to extremes it leads to an absurdity.  Everyone outranks someone, if time in grade counts.

That is absurd Quill, what you are saying is in any work place people can bend the rules and that we should just accept that. If that was the case place skin colour into the equation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Yes...definitely more to this story.

Even if fraternizing with a subordinate is a crime, if carried to extremes it leads to an absurdity.  Everyone outranks someone, if time in grade counts.

That is absurd Quill, what you are saying is in any work place people can bend the rules and that we should just accept that. If that was the case place skin colour into the equation.

Ahhh...well, yes and no. Law is an art, not a science.

Some laws you pull out when you want something extraneous, but otherwise you leave it on the shelf. Even the US Supreme Ct. has legitimized the concept of under-prosecuting certain laws.

The question is, Why would you do that? In most instances it is because the law adds to some greater well-intended aim. After all, isn't that what occurred in the case of OJ Simpson? I mean, who gets charged with that Nevada law in normal circumstances? Who gets sentenced to that long a prison term?

But it can also be used to discriminate. And I think that is the case here.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

Ahhh...well, yes and no.  Law is an art, not a science.  

Some laws you pull out when you want something extraneous, but otherwise you leave it on the shelf.  Even the US Supreme Ct. has legitimized the concept of under-prosecuting certain laws.

The question is, Why would you do that?  In most instances it is because the law adds to some greater well-intended aim.  After all, isn't that what occurred in the case of OJ Simpson?  I mean, who gets charged with that Nevada law in normal circumstances?  Who gets sentenced to that long a prison term?

But it can also be used to discriminate.  And I think that is the case here.

I know that Quill but come on, she was stupid does that amount to condemning her whole career?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Ahhh...well, yes and no.  Law is an art, not a science.  

Some laws you pull out when you want something extraneous, but otherwise you leave it on the shelf.  Even the US Supreme Ct. has legitimized the concept of under-prosecuting certain laws.

The question is, Why would you do that?  In most instances it is because the law adds to some greater well-intended aim.  After all, isn't that what occurred in the case of OJ Simpson?  I mean, who gets charged with that Nevada law in normal circumstances?  Who gets sentenced to that long a prison term?

But it can also be used to discriminate.  And I think that is the case here.

I know that Quill but come on, she was stupid does that amount to condemning her whole career?

That's why I say she is the victim of the double standard. This rule is traditionally honoured in the breach. That the authorities hauled it out to prosecute her means they had some other motive. Perhaps every day sexism? It would seem to be the case.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:15 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

That's why I say she is the victim of the double standard.  This rule is traditionally honoured in the breach.  That the authorities hauled it out to prosecute her means they had some other motive.  Perhaps every day sexism?  It would seem to be the case.

Cool and agreed on that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Irn Bru wrote:BRITAIN'S first female warship commander has been sent home amid claims she had an affair with another officer.

Commander Sarah West, who has been in charge of Plymouth-based HMS Portland since 2012, was sent home from duty amid claims she was having a relationship with a fellow officer on board the ship.

National media reports claim the 42-year-old would have been in breach of the Armed Forces’ Code of Social Conduct, which prohibits personnel from having relationships with subordinates if they compromise ‘operational effectiveness’.

Cdr West retains her position while the Royal Navy investigates.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/female-warship-commander-sent-home-Plymouth-based/story-21941935-detail/story.html#VSpTe5mVKtxlcZjZ.99

Shady been around today?

Smile 

The likes of her do not mix with the likes of me & she appears to have been daft to risk her career in this way.

However,it's difficult a difficult one to access because the full ins & outs of her relationship have not been diclosed.But I bet she wasn't shagging the ships cook or a stoker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 pm

Ever since women have been allowed to man active rolls at sea this was going to happen, I have no problem with it to be honest as long as they are both consenting in the relationship and are not married ie single

Being away at sea for what is often months at a time places great strain on shore bound families trust me I have lived it

And when you're away for months at a time moved from ship to ship
Building relationships is hard

it` a very high stress job and human instinct such as it is would lead to such situations as long as the conduct of both is beyond reproach i don`t have a issue with it

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:48 am

Korben_Dallas wrote:Ever since women have been allowed to man active rolls at sea this was going to happen, I have no problem with it to be honest as long as they are both consenting in the relationship and are not married ie single

Being away at sea for what is often months at a time places great strain on shore bound families trust me I have lived it  

And when you're away for months at a time moved from ship to ship
Building relationships is hard

it` a very high stress job and human instinct such as it is would lead to such situations  as long as the conduct of both is beyond reproach i don`t have a issue with it

That's my feeling too.  However, it can lead to difficulties. When people break up, they do weird things.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 pm

First female warship commander sent home from Plymouth-based HMS Portland amid on-board affair claims 21wdxpd

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down