NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer solstice!

+4
Lone Wolf
Cass
eddie
Ben Reilly
8 posters

Go down

Summer solstice! Empty Summer solstice!

Post by Guest Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:36 pm

A couple of weeks ago I had an attack of insanity and thought as it's something everyone is supposed to do at least once I would do the solstice at stonehenge. So I am now sat in a queue waiting for the carpark to open at seven and thought I would share. Pictures will be up some when over the weekend

Back to top Go down

Summer solstice! Empty Re: Summer solstice!

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Pinche turistas! Hope you end up having fun, though Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Wow. Hope you have a few joints rolled.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:57 pm

Apparently just standing in the circle is enough you don't need to bring your own

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:26 pm

sphinx wrote:Apparently just standing in the circle is enough you don't need to bring your own

Hahahahahahaha  flower 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:59 am

I used to live down the road many years ago......once you drive past them a couple of times a week you become a bit....meh

anyway enjoy - watch out for them druids Cool
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:28 am

On my way home. Very tired

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:36 am

sphinx wrote:On my way home. Very tired

Did you see Victor Sphinx? Summer solstice! Victor10

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:46 am

If i did see Victor I did not know it was Victor if that makes sense

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:19 am

Bet it was an amazing experience though, looking forward to seeing the pics  Smile 
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:18 am

Cass wrote:I used to live down the road many years ago......once you drive past them a couple of times a week you become a bit....meh

That's exactly what i thought the first time i saw it - "oh, is that really it?".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:05 pm

One problem lone wolf ...... The henge had to be vacated by eight this morning and the carpark emptied by midday. True believers or not everyone had to be gone by lunchtime

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Sorry double post

Last edited by sphinx on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:09 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Cass wrote:I used to live down the road many years ago......once you drive past them a couple of times a week you become a bit....meh

That's exactly what i thought the first time i saw it - "oh, is that really it?".

yup. I am proud to say the I never once paid to go inside. you used to be able to park up road a little further on and then have a look at them. and well look at them some more. and then get back in and go off to a pub. all of our visitors seemed happy enough.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:15 pm

Best Stonehenge ever weather wise, beautiful sunrise!

I don't go into the stones too many freaks, fuckwits, and fucktards. I walk the ley line from Druids lodge with my Bergen and camp around the kings barrow under nothing more than shade, groundsheet and bivibag. Too many pilot cadets and paragliders buzzing about overhead,,,,,,but hey it's a celebration for everyone, I don't get imbroiled in the purity aspect, the world is big enough for us all,,,,,,although a tunnel to mask the sound of the traffic is long overdue.

The drums and celebrations can be heard from where I pitch, I did not bump into any cretins, which is always a result!!!

The scenery is stunning it's not just the stones, you have to take in the surroundings, the fields were of full of ox eyed daisies this year, the biggest I've ever seen, perhaps someone can read a portent in this?,,,,for me the whole summer solstice event, simply confirms how lucky we're to be British,,,,
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:28 pm

scrat wrote:Best Stonehenge ever weather wise, beautiful sunrise!

I don't go into the stones too many freaks, fuckwits, and fucktards. I walk the ley line from Druids lodge with my Bergen and camp around the kings barrow under nothing more than shade, groundsheet and bivibag. Too many pilot cadets and paragliders buzzing about overhead,,,,,,but hey it's a celebration for everyone, I don't get imbroiled in the purity aspect, the world is big enough for us all,,,,,,although a tunnel to mask the sound of the traffic is long overdue.

The drums and celebrations can be heard from where I pitch, I did not bump into any cretins, which is always a result!!!

The scenery is stunning it's not just the stones, you have to take in the surroundings, the fields were of full of ox eyed daisies this year, the biggest I've ever seen, perhaps someone can read a portent in this?,,,,for me the whole summer solstice event, simply confirms how lucky we're to be British,,,,

If I had known you were there we could have had a coffee. (Unless of course you consider me a cretin  Razz )
As for the surroundings - what about the poppies? And the Skylarks? And the wonderful incredible huge vast open sky?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Incidentally I will try and get the pictures up tomorrow - as I have had a rather unique day. Coming back from Stonehenge there was a massive fire in a scrapyard in my local town that I of course photographed - and I have had one accepted for use by ... not the local paper but the regional/semi national one - the Western Daily Press. Having got the pictures it was a rush home and get them processed and send them to the paper and they liked them (if I wasnt completely exhausted I would be bouncing off the walls)

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:45 pm

sphinx wrote:
scrat wrote:Best Stonehenge ever weather wise, beautiful sunrise!

If I had known you were there we could have had a coffee.  (Unless of course you consider me a cretin  Razz )
As for the surroundings - what about the poppies?  And the Skylarks?  And the wonderful incredible huge vast open sky?
You're not a cretin as far as I'm concerned, remind me next year.

I have often wondered if they sighted it here simply because of the sky, the winter solstice can be very bleak, but now and then you get a clear one and without the light pollution,,,,wow,,,,,most impressive when you consider Stonehenge in its entirety, the wildlife, the deer, hares, crows, pheasants, buzzards, skylarks, poppies, butterflies,,,,every year something catches the eye and this year it was definitely ox eyed daisies.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:54 pm

scrat wrote:
sphinx wrote:

If I had known you were there we could have had a coffee.  (Unless of course you consider me a cretin  Razz )
As for the surroundings - what about the poppies?  And the Skylarks?  And the wonderful incredible huge vast open sky?
You're not a cretin as far as I'm concerned, remind me next year.

I have often wondered if they sighted it here simply because of the sky, the winter solstice can be very bleak, but now and then you get a clear one and without the light pollution,,,,wow,,,,,most impressive when you consider Stonehenge in its entirety, the wildlife, the deer, hares, crows, pheasants, buzzards, skylarks, poppies, butterflies,,,,every year something catches the eye and this year it was definitely ox eyed daisies.

It was poppies for me - all down the verges to the car park, and from the stones you could see a whole field the other side of the 303 probably a mile or 2 away that was just red with them.

Will try and remember to remind you next year - I will be going again because despite the idiots and cretins there is a fantastic atmosphere and its great just being out seeing the sky lighten and feeling connected to everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:24 pm

sphinx wrote:Incidentally I will try and get the pictures up tomorrow - as I have had a rather unique day.  Coming back from Stonehenge there was a massive fire in a scrapyard in my local town that I of course photographed - and I have had one accepted for use by ... not the local paper but the regional/semi national one - the Western Daily Press.  Having got the pictures it was a rush home and get them processed and send them to the paper and they liked them (if I wasnt completely exhausted I would be bouncing off the walls)

Yay Sphinx!
Well done Mrs  ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:34 pm

The best bit is I was going to see if the local paper wanted them but I ran into their own photographer who said he had everything needed himself so I decided to try my luck with something bigger. I now feel extremely smug lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:09 pm

sphinx wrote:Incidentally I will try and get the pictures up tomorrow - as I have had a rather unique day.  Coming back from Stonehenge there was a massive fire in a scrapyard in my local town that I of course photographed - and I have had one accepted for use by ... not the local paper but the regional/semi national one - the Western Daily Press.  Having got the pictures it was a rush home and get them processed and send them to the paper and they liked them (if I wasnt completely exhausted I would be bouncing off the walls)

That's fantastic! Be sure to post a link if you get the chance, please.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:06 pm

OK, It's only  a baby stone circle compared to Stonehenge but to see a sunset or sunrise from Castlerigg stone circle is something to experience. I love you 

Summer solstice! Castlerigg_stone_circle
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:02 am

sphinx wrote:Incidentally I will try and get the pictures up tomorrow - as I have had a rather unique day. Coming back from Stonehenge there was a massive fire in a scrapyard in my local town that I of course photographed - and I have had one accepted for use by ... not the local paper but the regional/semi national one - the Western Daily Press. Having got the pictures it was a rush home and get them processed and send them to the paper and they liked them (if I wasnt completely exhausted I would be bouncing off the walls)

well done sphinx.....that is because you are a great photographer.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:11 am

Cass wrote:

well done sphinx.....that is because you are a great photographer.

Here, here.
Be sure to post them up.  cheers 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Summer solstice! OptimizedLaPouquelayeDeFaldouet09

Jersey has several dolmen.
This is my favourite at Faldouet. My pagan friend that passed away last year got married here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:24 pm

Yes well after posting on here yesterday my weekend took another twist. We saw an ambulance outside and as the street is either horribly nosy or wonderfully community minded we popped out to see what was what. One of the neighbours had had a nasty fall down the stairs, had a bad head wound and was in neck brace, head blocks the lot to go to hospital and she was very distressed, confused and frightened. I went over to see if she wanted her parents called and she grabbed my hand and begged me to stay with her - so despite being knackered I grabbed a bag and went. After scans showed there was nothing except the head wound the docs said she would be kept overnight for observation and it was too late for me to get home by public transport so the hospital gave me blanket and pillow and I spent a rather uncomfortable night in a chair next to my neighbour. She woke up fine and my OH came to pick us up - and I am now on well over 48 hours on 9 hours broken uncomfortable sleep lol.
I am working through my pictures but am slow cause of tired but promise they are coming although I seriously hope to spend tonight in my own bed!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:34 pm

oh gosh your poor friend but toy did so right by going with her to give her comfort. hope she gets on the mend soon and YOU get some rest!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Well I know how scary it can be for a lot of people being taken to hospital and if my being there to hold their hand and talk nonsense helps then it is not a lot to give is it? Besides which when people are calmer they tend to feel better, then get sorted and discharged quicker.

However I have said if anyone else does themselves a mischief today someone else can go lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:45 pm

sphinx wrote:Well I know how scary it can be for a lot of people being taken to hospital and if my being there to hold their hand and talk nonsense helps then it is not a lot to give is it? Besides which when people are calmer they tend to feel better, then get sorted and discharged quicker.

However I have said if anyone else does themselves a mischief today someone else can go lol

spot on...to both Smile

btw wasn't meaning to denigrate you going to the solstice ....I have in the past stayed up all night to watch sun rise in a variety of different places in the world just that I suppose living next to something "reverted and awesome" makes it less special. I suppose a bit like living in a palace or castle - familiarity breeds contempt and all that - but a I think I could give a palace a shot Smile
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:13 pm

I think being quite close is why I never did it before - and I do like sunrise any time any place I can be awake.

I think it was a case of OK so it is close but it is something people come from around the world to do and its on my doorstep so might as well go and see what the fuss is about.

I think I just enjoyed being outside on the plain as much or more than the stones themselves - it is so beautiful up there and I guess you can understand why it was built where it was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:32 pm

sphinx wrote:I think being quite close is why I never did it before - and I do like sunrise any time any place I can be awake.  

I think it was a case of OK so it is close but it is something people come from around the world to do and its on my doorstep so might as well go and see what the fuss is about.

I think I just enjoyed being outside on the plain as much or  more than the stones themselves - it is so beautiful up there and I guess you can understand why it was built where it was.

I think we are all the same, if its on our doorstep we don't bother.
Looking forward to the pictures Sphinx and hope your friend is ok x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:37 pm

She is fine apart from a rather nasty cut on her head - it could have been so much worse - broken limbs or back, brain bleed. Scary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:40 pm

sphinx wrote:She is fine apart from a rather nasty cut on her head - it could have been so much worse - broken limbs or back, brain bleed.  Scary.

It is scary, falling down the stairs she could have broken her neck  No 

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:21 pm

Nems wrote:Summer solstice! OptimizedLaPouquelayeDeFaldouet09

Jersey has several dolmen.
This is my favourite at Faldouet. My pagan friend that passed away last year got married here.

Good on ya Sphinx for being a nosy (good neighbour) I wish I could say it was the same where I live but .......... I've one neighbour (next-door) I don't know his name and he has only been living there for three years.    Shocked 
As for the stones as Nems has alluded to  there are more atmospheric, older and outright weird than  Stonehenge.
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:29 pm

sphinx wrote:Well I know how scary it can be for a lot of people being taken to hospital and if my being there to hold their hand and talk nonsense helps then it is not a lot to give is it?  Besides which when people are calmer they tend to feel better, then get sorted and discharged quicker.  

Sphinx I know how scared and distressed my mum was after her recent head trauma.
It's very lovely thing for you to have done xxx
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 pm

sphinx wrote:If i did see Victor I did not know it was Victor if that makes sense

If you saw someone disguised as a hedge it was probably him Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 pm

You would be surprised at how many different dress forms there were lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 pm

sphinx wrote:Yes well after posting on here yesterday my weekend took another twist.  We saw an ambulance outside and as the street is either horribly nosy or wonderfully community minded we popped out to see what was what.  One of the neighbours had had a nasty fall down the stairs, had a bad head wound and was in neck brace, head blocks the lot to go to hospital and she was very distressed, confused and frightened.  I went over to see if she wanted her parents called and she grabbed my hand and begged me to stay with her - so despite being knackered I grabbed a bag and went.  After scans showed there was nothing except the head wound the docs said she would be kept overnight for observation and it was too late for me to get home by public transport so the hospital gave me blanket and pillow and I spent a rather uncomfortable night in a chair next to my neighbour.  She woke up fine and my OH came to pick us up - and I am now on well over 48 hours on 9 hours broken uncomfortable sleep lol.
I am working through my pictures but am slow cause of tired but promise they are coming although I seriously hope to spend tonight in my own bed!!

Glad she's ok Sphinx and hope you managed to get a good nights sleep Summer solstice! Sleep12 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:54 pm

feelthelove wrote:
sphinx wrote:Yes well after posting on here yesterday my weekend took another twist.  We saw an ambulance outside and as the street is either horribly nosy or wonderfully community minded we popped out to see what was what.  One of the neighbours had had a nasty fall down the stairs, had a bad head wound and was in neck brace, head blocks the lot to go to hospital and she was very distressed, confused and frightened.  I went over to see if she wanted her parents called and she grabbed my hand and begged me to stay with her - so despite being knackered I grabbed a bag and went.  After scans showed there was nothing except the head wound the docs said she would be kept overnight for observation and it was too late for me to get home by public transport so the hospital gave me blanket and pillow and I spent a rather uncomfortable night in a chair next to my neighbour.  She woke up fine and my OH came to pick us up - and I am now on well over 48 hours on 9 hours broken uncomfortable sleep lol.

Glad she's ok Sphinx and hope you managed to get a good nights sleep Summer solstice! Sleep12 x

Also looking forward to the pics when you get a chance! Summer solstice! Camera10 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:59 pm

OK at last here they are - there are more on flickr (link in my signature) these are just a sample
First proper view of stones Summer solstice! 14306115910_0f8f516040_z

Sunset Summer solstice! 14491541522_d1b53f4a44_z

Dawn Summer solstice! 14306159229_7201f8e7d0_z

Sunrise Summer solstice! 14306174218_722a2a7fa6_z

Stone arch Summer solstice! 14469700426_d20e983aa4_z

And last but not least
The fire..... Summer solstice! 14306207979_cf88696b9a_z

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:11 am

Love the sunset and sunrise  photos  Sphinx.
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down