NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is nobody celebrating the return of milk in schools?

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why is nobody celebrating the return of  milk in schools? Empty Why is nobody celebrating the return of milk in schools?

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:08 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2659508/School-milk-pupils-Gove-demands-fried-food-fruit-juice-sugar-overhaul-meals.html

Is it because the wrong party is spear heading it?

Back to top Go down

Why is nobody celebrating the return of  milk in schools? Empty Re: Why is nobody celebrating the return of milk in schools?

Post by gerber Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:20 pm

I for one have memories of the stuff in summer.  Warm, congealed and smelly.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Why is nobody celebrating the return of  milk in schools? Empty Re: Why is nobody celebrating the return of milk in schools?

Post by nicko Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:25 pm

And that 2 inches of yellow stuff on the top !! uuurrrggg.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Were you the milk monitor Sphynx ?
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:59 pm

i loved school milk and welcome it`s return
it started a life long love of milk and to this day i would rather have a pint of milk than a pint of beer
i drink about 6 pints a day every day and have done since i got married

we buy 12 pints a day (green top)
Mmmmmm lovely

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Six points a day,why don't you buy your own cow?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:06 pm

nicko wrote:Six points a day,why don't you buy your own cow?
 lol!  lol!  lol!
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:23 pm

nicko wrote:Six points a day,why don't you buy your own cow?
i often say the same thing nicko:lol!: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Do you know we are the only species that drinks another species milk or so i have been told

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:48 pm

sphinx wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2659508/School-milk-pupils-Gove-demands-fried-food-fruit-juice-sugar-overhaul-meals.html

You'd have thought with 13 years of Labour rule, they'd have brought it back themselves, especially with all that money they were splashing around...

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:57 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
sphinx wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2659508/School-milk-pupils-Gove-demands-fried-food-fruit-juice-sugar-overhaul-meals.html

You'd have thought with 13 years of Labour rule, they'd have brought it back themselves, especially with all that money they were splashing around...

Wouldn't you just. Of course the lefties on here call Thatcher the milk snatcher when in fact it was Harold who originally removed milk from large swathes of school children.

Hard to believe Lefties no getting the facts right isn't it? Laughing 

Fred
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Fred wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Wouldn't you just. Of course the lefties on here call Thatcher the milk snatcher when in fact it was Harold who originally removed milk from large swathes of school children.

Hard to believe Lefties no getting the facts right isn't it? Laughing 

Yes but my children were taught by using song and rhyming at an early age too.

Maybe it's just easier for the left?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:04 pm

June 15: Margaret Thatcher promised to cut free school milk on this day in 1971 – sparking the first of many angry protests that characterised her political career.

The future Prime Minister, who was then serving as Education Secretary in Edward Heath’s Tory government, earned the nickname ‘Milk Snatcher Thatcher’ in doing so.

She wanted to stop a third of a pint being handed out to schoolchildren over the age of seven in a bid to save £9million a year – more than was then spent on books.During a fierce Parliamentary debate, Labour education spokesman Edward Short described the plans as “the meanest and most unworthy thing” he had seen as an MP.

This was despite his party’s 1968 ban on secondary pupils getting free milk – a tradition begun across all school ages in 1946 during the birth of the welfare state.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:16 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:

they didn`t bring it back under conservitive rule ether so its a mute point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

I didn't hear a load of Conservative voters screaming how evil it was to take milk away from schoolkids.

I did hear it from Labour supporters, right up until yesterday - why didn't your government do something about it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:21 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:

I didn't hear a load of Conservative voters screaming how evil it was to take milk away from schoolkids.

I did hear it from Labour supporters, right up until yesterday - why didn't your government do something about it?
i wasn't old enough to vote at the time so not really my government was it

but i noticed you dont dispute the facts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:25 pm

The thing is although the motivation seems to be the same - improve childrens diets - the conditions resulting in the need are totally different.
Free milk after the second world war was to combat diet deficiencies caused by rationing and costs - a significant portion of parents either could not access fresh milk or could not afford it - and free milk was very effective leading to it being stopped from the late 1960s as more and more of it was being thrown away unwanted by children who had access to it at home.
Today the problem is totally different - food is plentiful, too plentiful. Parents can afford to provide perfectly healthy diets but may choose not to, and children can choose to not eat various things because they do not like them. The chances are that the children who choose to have milk at school will have access to it at home and drink it there as well while the ones not drinking it at home who are the primary target will not drink it in school either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

I'm talking about the last 15 years, TiTS.

Why didn't you scream loud between 1997 and 2010?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:28 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:Do you know we are the only species that drinks another species milk or so i have been told

I've also heard it isn't very food for us as we can't digest it properly due to it being naturally produced for a cows offspring?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:31 pm

eddie wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:Do you know we are the only species that drinks another species milk or so i have been told

I've also heard it isn't very food for us as we can't digest it properly due to it being naturally produced for a cows offspring?

And bums weren't made for bumming, but my wife has never...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:32 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:

I'm talking about the last 15 years, TiTS.

Why didn't you scream loud between 1997 and 2010?
you do seem to like to throw abuse about yourself, but then complain you were abused when there was none
you an hypocrite of the highest order

no wonder your a tory

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:33 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
eddie wrote:

Now now Sir.  Razz 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 pm

eddie wrote:

I hadn`t heard that ED interesting
i know it was introduced in part to combat rickets

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:40 pm

eddie wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Now now Sir.  Razz 
his continued referral to sexual activity to illustrate (badly ) a point is somewhat creepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:43 pm

found this ....i guess i am just one of the lucky ones

By Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY
SAN FRANCISCO — Got milk? If you do, take a moment to ponder the true oddness of being able to drink milk after you're a baby.

No other species but humans can. And most humans can't either.

The long lists of food allergies some people claim to have can make it seem as if they're just finicky eaters trying to rationalize likes and dislikes. Not so. Eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish soy and gluten all can wreak havoc on the immune system of allergic individuals, even causing a deadly reaction called anaphylaxis.

But those allergic reactions are relatively rare, affecting an estimated 4% of adults.

Milk's different.

There are people who have true milk allergies that can cause deadly reactions. But most people who have bad reactions to milk aren't actually allergic to it, in that it's not their immune system that's responding to the milk

Instead, people who are lactose intolerant can't digest the main sugar —lactose— found in milk. In normal humans, the enzyme that does so —lactase— stops being produced when the person is between two and five years old. The undigested sugars end up in the colon, where they begin to ferment, producing gas that can cause cramping, bloating, nausea, flatulence and diarrhea.

If you're American or European it's hard to realize this, but being able to digest milk as an adult is one weird genetic adaptation.

It's not normal. Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people.

Being able to digest milk is so strange that scientists say we shouldn't really call lactose intolerance a disease, because that presumes it's abnormal. Instead, they call it lactase persistence, indicating what's really weird is the ability to continue to drink milk.

There's been a lot of research over the past decade looking at the genetic mutation that allows this subset of humanity to stay milk drinkers into adulthood.

A long-held theory was that the mutation showed up first in Northern Europe, where people got less vitamin D from the sun and therefore did better if they could also get the crucial hormone (it's not really a vitamin at all) from milk.

But now a group at University College London has shown that the mutation actually appeared about 7,500 years ago in dairy farmers who lived in a region between the central Balkans and central Europe, in what was known as the Funnel Beaker culture.

The paper was published this week in PLoS Computational Biology.

The researchers used a computer to model the spread of lactase persistence, dairy farming, other food gathering practices and genes in Europe.

Today, the highest proportion of people with lactase persistence live in Northwest Europe, especially the Netherlands, Ireland and Scandinavia. But the computer model suggests that dairy farmers carrying this gene variant probably originated in central Europe and then spread more widely and rapidly than non-dairying groups.

Author Mark Thomas of University College London's dept of Genetics, Evolution and Environment says: "In Europe, a single genetic change...is strongly associated with lactase persistence and appears to have given people with it a big survival advantage."

The European mutation is different from several lactase persistence genes associated with small populations of African peoples who historically have been cattle herders.

Researchers at the University of Maryland identified one such mutation among Nilo-Saharan-speaking peoples in Kenya and Tanzania. That mutation seems to have arisen between 2,700 to 6,800 years ago. Two other mutations have been found among the Beja people of northeastern Sudan and tribes of the same language family in northern Kenya.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

my daughter is lactose intolerant my son and wife and me not

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:46 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
eddie wrote:

Now now Sir.  Razz 
his continued referral to sexual activity to illustrate (badly ) a point is somewhat creepy

What continued referral to sexual activity?

Question 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:50 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:

Question 
you don`t know ?.......thats even more worrying

but then again your not clear on what abuse is ether are you .....i see a patten hear

Edit
Have you considered therapy?

Last edited by Korban_Dallas on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Question 

Terrible eh? Maybe i'm a sex maniac.

So please show all the posts in the thread where i display "continued referral to sexual activity to illustrate a point".

You never know, it may help me on the road to recovery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:54 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:

Terrible eh?  Maybe i'm a sex maniac.

So please show all the posts in the thread where i display "continued referral to sexual activity to illustrate a point".

You never know, it may help me on the road to recovery.
well you a maniac that much is kind of apparent

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Question 

but then again your not clear on what abuse is ether are you .....i see a patten hear

Edit

Erm I make more jokes about sex than Andy probably does?
Among the many things you can say about nasty I am not sure you're barking up the right tree Korben.  :\\:[: 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:02 pm

eddie wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:

Edit

Among the many things you can say about nasty I am not sure you're barking up the right tree Korben.  :\\:[: 
yes perhaps but unfounded comments and his refusal to address them is something i am trying to get the hang of not something i am as used to as him

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
eddie wrote:

yes perhaps but unfounded comments and his refusal to address them is something i am trying to get the hang of not something i am as used to as him

Unfounded comments?

Refusal to address them?

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Did Harold decide to remove it from schools as it was not a useful pipe lighter ?  In fact quite the opposite and farmers did not wear Ganex macintoshes.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:

Unfounded comments?

Refusal to address them?
Oh yes did you not accuse me of abusing you
i saw no retraction of that statement you just ignored the thread after my apology for getting the wrong end of the stick
but there was no abuse
you didn`t even reply to my apology for misinterpreting your query
guess i am more of a man that you .....not really news that but seemingly accurate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Unfounded comments?

Refusal to address them?
i saw no retraction of that statement you just ignored the thread after my apology for getting the wrong end of the stick
but there was no abuse
guess i am more of a man that you .....not really news that but seemingly accurate

TiTS, abuse does not have to consist of bad language.

You singled me out, wrongly. You did this because you don't like me, you hold grudges and you are part of a "group".

That is the abuse.

Benji did it many months ago - the same thing - "BigAndy9 you are scum, you highlighted his name because he's a Muslim"

"Oh, sorry, it was BigAl."

It is abuse, it is bullying - i hate them both.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:22 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:
but there was no abuse

You singled me out, wrongly.  You did this because you don't like me, you hold grudges and you are part of a "group".

That is the abuse.

Benji did it many months ago - the same thing - "BigAndy9 you are scum, you highlighted his name because he's a Muslim"

I singled you out ?
it was you that brought it up how is that singling you out
And I nether like of dislike you i have very little feeling for you either way sometimes your right and a say so
And it's you calling people you don`t agree  with names pall not me
as you have done in this very post my name has never been Tits you started the childish name calling not me

and even though i got the wrong end of the stick stating a fact is not abuse

Last edited by Korban_Dallas on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Oh! You're Tory scum!!!!

Hi! How're you doing? Sorry I'm slow, forgot you,were now Korben lol
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:28 pm

eddie wrote:Oh! You're Tory scum!!!!

i haven used that name for many many years as i explained ....since sky in fact

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Clue please -  hints more so..................  is this the one and only TTS ?  The purveyor of the forums, the oracle of all knowledge
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:32 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:
but there was no abuse

You singled me out, wrongly.  You did this because you don't like me, you hold grudges and you are part of a "group".

That is the abuse.

so your guilty of the very thing you say you hate ....what is calling me tits or quill Quim if its not bullying and or abuse ....see hypocrite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:33 pm

gerber wrote:

Clue please -  hints more so..................  is this the one and only TTS ?  The purveyor of the forums, the oracle of all knowledge
oracle of all knowledge ?

it was never a secret gerber that i was tts

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
gerber wrote:

marvellous.  A huge re hello.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:39 pm

gerber wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:

Thanks G i thought you knew i never kept it a secret

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
gerber wrote:

Thanks G  i thought you knew i never kept it a secret

me knows nothing...................  best attributes for a spy......

I just reply to posts as I read them.  What your name is is irrelevant......  History and baggage can have repercussions..............  not needed on an open and honest forum.

Anyways...

liked you in the past and still do.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:48 pm

gerber wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:
Thanks G  i thought you knew i never kept it a secret

I just reply to posts as I read them.  What your name is is irrelevant......  History and baggage can have repercussions..............  not needed on an open and honest forum.

Anyways...

And i you ..... did we not speak on the phone once re a computer problem you had ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:50 pm

"I just reply to posts as I read them. What your name is is irrelevant...... History and baggage can have repercussions."

yea i am pretty mush the same there is only a couple of folk i have a problem with and there not members and even those feelings have abated somewhat

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
gerber wrote:

Anyways...

And i you ..... did we not speak on the phone once re a computer problem you had  ??

I have Dementia..............  if we did I thank you for your help.  You were so charming.

I do not have a computer.  So maybe not.... ::fighty!
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:05 pm

gerber wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:
And i you ..... did we not speak on the phone once re a computer problem you had  ??

I have Dementia..............  if we did I thank you for your help.  You were so charming.

\i am sorry to hear that ...i have heard singing songs can help and the research into the condition is showing some promise

check this out
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1087544/Cannabis-stop-dementia-tracks.html

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:06 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:
gerber wrote:

\i am sorry to hear that ...i have heard singing songs can help and the research into the condition is showing some promise

check this out
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1087544/Cannabis-stop-dementia-tracks.html

:askissas:
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:13 pm

gerber wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:

check this out

:askissas:
 Embarassed 
As a heavy user of the marvelous weed myself
i can say that i very rarely get ill and for my age am in generally rude health and look like a man 15 or so years younger than i actually am
i would make it compulsory  lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next