NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

North crime rise 'due to recession'

Go down

North crime rise 'due to recession' Empty North crime rise 'due to recession'

Post by Irn Bru Sat May 31, 2014 5:34 pm

Police in northern England are facing rising crime levels because it has been harder hit by the recession than the South, a chief constable has said.

Justine Curran, in charge of Humberside Police, said evidence showed shoplifters were stealing essential items such as food due to the impact of the economic downturn.

She said the poorest areas of Humberside showed the biggest rises in crime, which backed up her theory.

She said the latest crime figures showed a North-South divide, with rising numbers in the North and falling or stable statistics for the South.

The Chief Constable said: "We have done intelligence interviews with criminals suggesting that acquisitive crime like shoplifting is moving towards a focus on the theft of essential goods like food.

"Statistics support the fact that upturns in crime are being experienced in the North while levels in the South are remaining static, if not falling.

"We are not looking for excuses, but it is important that we understand the drivers of crime and that is why we have looked into the possibility of the recession hitting harder in the North, leading to these increases.

"We certainly know that in our area the biggest rises in crime have been in higher deprivation areas."

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/north-crime-rise-due-to-recession-1

I suppose those living in leafy Buckinghamshire or right in the heart of Chipping Norton will be too worried about that as it is unlikely to affect them that much.

They have a different type of criminal (allegedly) as is evident in the trial being played out in the High Court at the moment.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

North crime rise 'due to recession' Empty Re: North crime rise 'due to recession'

Post by Guest Sat May 31, 2014 5:39 pm

It is true people are missing lunch because they can't afford to buy enough food i know this because i have spoken to people who miss lunch . I'm from the North

Back to top Go down