NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thailand military denies there's a coup underway

+3
Lone Wolf
Eilzel
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thailand military denies there's a coup underway Empty Thailand military denies there's a coup underway

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 20, 2014 9:34 am

Thailand’s army imposed martial law nationwide after months of political turmoil that brought down an elected leader and tipped the economy into a contraction.

The move is not a coup and people should not be concerned, Army Chief Prayuth Chan-Ocha said on local television. The military is seeking to restore order and asks political groups to halt their protests, he said. Soldiers and military vehicles were on the streets of the capital Bangkok, although no curfew had been imposed.

“There will be a center to control order, headed by the army chief,” Prayuth said. “The center can enforce any law under the martial law act to control the situation effectively.”

The move is the army’s most direct involvement in the Southeast Asian nation’s politics since 2006, when then-premier Thaksin Shinawatra was removed in a coup, with Thai stocks and the baht falling. Martial law already is in place in parts of southern Thailand, and then-prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva briefly declared it in Bangkok in 2010 to quell anti-government protests.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-19/thai-military-declares-martial-law-to-curb-protests-denies-coup.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Thailand military denies there's a coup underway Empty Re: Thailand military denies there's a coup underway

Post by Eilzel Tue May 20, 2014 9:39 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Thailand’s army imposed martial law nationwide after months of political turmoil that brought down an elected leader and tipped the economy into a contraction.

The move is not a coup and people should not be concerned, Army Chief Prayuth Chan-Ocha said on local television. The military is seeking to restore order and asks political groups to halt their protests, he said. Soldiers and military vehicles were on the streets of the capital Bangkok, although no curfew had been imposed.

“There will be a center to control order, headed by the army chief,” Prayuth said. “The center can enforce any law under the martial law act to control the situation effectively.”

The move is the army’s most direct involvement in the Southeast Asian nation’s politics since 2006, when then-premier Thaksin Shinawatra was removed in a coup, with Thai stocks and the baht falling. Martial law already is in place in parts of southern Thailand, and then-prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva briefly declared it in Bangkok in 2010 to quell anti-government protests.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-19/thai-military-declares-martial-law-to-curb-protests-denies-coup.html

The countries political divisions make Labour/Tory and Republican/Democrat seem feeble don't they?

The problem is the Shinawatra family; the country needs to move on from them, although I lean toward the Reds in Thailand it is clear that the way they are held on a pedestal by one half of the country yet despised by the other will always create problems where one of them is involved.

The funny thing is the north of the country simply doesn't experience these problems they way Bangkok and parts of the south do.

I'll be over in Thailand next week so I'm hoping things don't go too awry  Shocked 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Thailand military denies there's a coup underway Empty Re: Thailand military denies there's a coup underway

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 20, 2014 9:42 am

Eilzel wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

The countries political divisions make Labour/Tory and Republican/Democrat seem feeble don't they?

The problem is the Shinawatra family; the country needs to move on from them, although I lean toward the Reds in Thailand it is clear that the way they are held on a pedestal by one half of the country yet despised by the other will always create problems where one of them is involved.

The funny thing is the north of the country simply doesn't experience these problems they way Bangkok and parts of the south do.

I'll be over in Thailand next week so I'm hoping things don't go too awry  Shocked 

Be careful! I know somebody who's over there right now and I hope he's OK and gets back safely.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue May 20, 2014 9:54 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Be careful! I know somebody who's over there right now and I hope he's OK and gets back safely.

Cheers, I'm sure I'll be fine, last time I was there there was a bit of trouble in central Bangkok, but I saw nothing of it first hand. We can at least hope it turns out not to be a coup but the politics there is so shaky  Neutral 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 20, 2014 10:23 am

I'm sure you will be sensible Les, but it could be a bit of a tricky situation, so take double care.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue May 20, 2014 10:39 am

I will thanks Sass Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue May 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Cheers, I'm sure I'll be fine, last time I was there there was a bit of trouble in central Bangkok, but I saw nothing of it first hand. We can at least hope it turns out not to be a coup but the politics there is so shaky  Neutral 
Hi Les

My son's best friend has lived in Thailand for some years now. I just checked his facebook page to see if he was okay, and all it's full of is Arsenal winning a cup! So I expect things aren't that bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Hi Les

My son's best friend has lived in Thailand for some years now.  I just checked his facebook page to see if he was okay, and all it's full of is Arsenal winning a cup!  So I expect things aren't that bad.

lol!  Typical fella!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue May 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Hi Les

My son's best friend has lived in Thailand for some years now.  I just checked his facebook page to see if he was okay, and all it's full of is Arsenal winning a cup!  So I expect things aren't that bad.

Haha, exactly Tess, for most people life goes on, as is often the case these problems are often isolated to just parts of the capital- it is still concerning but I'm not expecting to be effected by it Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue May 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:
Hi Les

Haha, exactly Tess, for most people life goes on, as is often the case these problems are often isolated to just parts of the capital- it is still concerning but I'm not expecting to be effected by it Smile

Take great care of yourself Mr E x
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue May 20, 2014 6:51 pm

David wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Yes Sir  Wink  x
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue May 20, 2014 6:52 pm

Eilzel wrote:
David wrote:

Yes Sir  Wink  x

Am I that bossy lol?
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:
Hi Les

Next week?! Its come too soon  Sad 
Bet you cant wait! xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue May 20, 2014 7:30 pm

Nems wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Bet you cant wait! xxx

Yeah I go Sunday, and no I can't haha  Cool  xx
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue May 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Nems wrote:

Bet you cant wait! xxx

I'm still waiting for my ticket ....enjoy yourself sweetie and be safe xxx
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue May 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Cass wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Thanks Cass x

I left the ticket with eddie's cookies  Cool 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue May 20, 2014 9:39 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Cass wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Thanks Cass x

Take care and stay safe Les and remember to keep checking in here when you arrive.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue May 20, 2014 9:57 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Thanks Cass x

Take care and stay safe Les and remember to keep checking in here when you arrive.

Cheers Irn, I intend to remain regular enough  Smile 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

You will be taking the senna then Eil????

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue May 20, 2014 10:21 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

You will be taking the senna then Eil????

pale lol! 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Thailand's Army Chief Announces Military Coup

After months of political deadlock and deadly protests, Thai military forces seize power in the Southeast Asian country. The National Peace Keeping Committee that imposed martial law on Tuesday will now take full control of the country to prevent the conflict escalating..

http://news.sky.com/story/1266765/thailands-army-chief-announces-military-coup

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Oh no this is awful  Sad 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu May 22, 2014 1:00 pm

David wrote:Oh no this is awful  Sad 

yup and now even more worried for our les and his fells and his family....please please let them all be safe x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Cass wrote:
David wrote:Oh no this is awful  Sad 

yup and now even more worried for our les and his fells and his family....please please let them all be safe x

Indeed Cass I meant to say I was worried too about Mr Ex
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu May 22, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm still here; but still going- it is getting tense now.

Frankly the situation is a joke; the popular Puea Thai party or Thai Rak Thai party as it was under Thaksin, have won every free election for the last 12 years- and everytime they are ousted by the army or the courts who blatantly support the conservative, pro-royal, RW National Democrat party.

The army say they will implement reforms. Presumably that means Thailand can have democracy, but only if they start voting 'the right way'. An absolute disgrace in a country that is suffocated by elitist corruption.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu May 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Btw I really do appreciate the concern- but honestly I hear from my boyfriend every single day; two days ago he was having fun on a resort in Pattaya; when he starts to worry I'll start to worry. For now his main concern is our new sofa, so bad as it seems, for now it is well contained and only a problem for those wanting to protest. It is a crap situation and I'm hoping it doesn't erupt before I go but as yet don't worry x
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu May 22, 2014 1:12 pm

I know darling but I'm a mum and I worry.....just let us know you are ok and the BF and his family xx

^monsewer David ....I know x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 22, 2014 1:17 pm

@ Cass: x
@ Mr E : x
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Thailand's Army Chief Announces Military Coup
British citizens are warned to exercise "extreme caution" in Thailand as the army seizes power and imposes a nationwide curfew.

Thailand's army chief has announced his forces are taking control of the government following months of deadly clashes.

General Prayuth Chan-ocha said on live TV: "In order for the country to return to normal quickly the National Peace Keeping Committee comprised of the army, the Thai armed forces, the Royal Air Force and the police need to seize power as of May 22 at 4.30pm."

He added: "All Thais must remain calm and government officials must work as normal."

The National Peace Keeping Committee that imposed martial law on Tuesday will now take full control of the country to prevent the conflict escalating, he said.

General Prayuth said the constitution is being suspended, and all cabinet ministers must report to the military by the end of the day.

A nationwide curfew from 10pm to 5am has been imposed, and meetings of more than five people banned.

In addition, all TV and radio stations have been ordered to stop normal programmes and only broadcast army material.

Later, after the curfew had begun, the army announced that social media would be blocked if it contained any content "provoking violence or opposing their military coup".

In response to the move, the US Department of Defence said it was reviewing military assistance and engagements with Thailand.

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said that Thailand should restore its civilian government.

He said: "I am extremely concerned by today's coup. There should never be recourse to violence: only by openly discussing the full range of issues can Thailand move forward.

"We are monitoring the situation on the ground very carefully. British nationals in Thailand or thinking of travelling to Thailand should monitor the FCO's travel advice, which will be continually updated as events develop."

Thai soldiers reportedly fired into the air to disperse thousands of pro-government Red Shirt protesters, who gathered in western Bangkok after the coup was announced.

In the past six months of violence, 28 people have been killed and the Thai economy has shrunk by 2.1%.

The coup - the country's 19th since the fall of absolute monarchy in 1932 - follows two days of meetings between rival political leaders that failed to break the deadlock.

Politicians at the talks, held at a heavily guarded military HQ in Bangkok, were seen being taken away by soldiers.

It was unclear whether they had been formally detained.

Acting Prime Minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan - who replaced Yingluck Shinawatra after she was removed from office by the Thai Supreme Court earlier this year - did not attend because he was busy, according to a government official.

General Prayuth said his forces would "provide protection" for foreigners in Thailand, which is visited by around one million Britons a year.

British ambassador to Thailand Mark Kent said: "British citizens should exercise extreme caution and follow travel advice and media updates."

On Wednesday, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged thosae in control to have "full respect for democratic principles".

Red Shirt supporters of deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was toppled in a coup, and his sister Yingluck have been on the streets since November last year.

http://news.sky.com/story/1266765/thailands-army-chief-announces-military-coup

Oh Les, this could not have come at a worse time for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2014 10:12 am

Eilzel wrote:I'm still here; but still going- it is getting tense now.

Frankly the situation is a joke; the popular Puea Thai party or Thai Rak Thai party as it was under Thaksin, have won every free election for the last 12 years- and everytime they are ousted by the army or the courts who blatantly support the conservative, pro-royal, RW National Democrat party.

The army say they will implement reforms. Presumably that means Thailand can have democracy, but only if they start voting 'the right way'. An absolute disgrace in a country that is suffocated by elitist corruption.
Just checked - my son's friend from Thailand's back online - (excuse the language!) :

"Curfew in Thailand & the Cables off thank fuck for the internet & music or id be pulling my hair out if i had any lol thank fuck i got the drinks in before everything shut happy hunting peeps evrything closed now..."

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2014 11:12 am

Might be ho hum to you Bee, but Les is going to live there on Monday and we want him safe, so it's not ho hum to us, and most especially, it's not ho hum to Les.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri May 23, 2014 12:48 pm

No it is anxious at the moment; I do feel the streets are safer for the foreseeable future with the army there though- the red shirts and yellow shirts can be violent at the best of times  Sad 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri May 23, 2014 6:23 pm

Eilzel wrote:No it is anxious at the moment; I do feel the streets are safer for the foreseeable future with the army there though- the red shirts and yellow shirts can be violent at the best of times  Sad 

I hope you are safe when you get there Mr E xxx
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2014 7:09 pm

Thailand military denies there's a coup underway Drives14 Why now Les?! I will worry about you both, hopefully things will settle down.  Just keep safe.

I'm sure you can't wait to get there now whatever the circumstances; it's been a long year for you both I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri May 23, 2014 10:33 pm

You're totally right thanks FtL, honestly the only thing on my kind is seeing my BF again x
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2014 10:37 pm

I can tell that lol, on my kind? Your mind isn't on typing, it's in Thailand lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2014 10:43 pm

EIL.....foreign office is now saying British visitors should carry their passports AT ALL TIMES to avoid possibly being arrested...take care my friend...

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri May 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Haha, iphones and wine Sass Razz

Yeah I saw foreign office advice Vic and will be sure to follow it. They don't mess about in places like that. Thanks pal Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Fri May 23, 2014 10:56 pm

If I don't catch you around tomorrow Les, stay safe, and keep in touch! x
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat May 24, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks Harves x

Emotional day coming up as I say goodbyes, wont be on much from this afternoon.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 11:39 am

Eilzel wrote:Thanks Harves x

Emotional day coming up as I say goodbyes, wont be on much from this afternoon.

Aww Thailand military denies there's a coup underway Hug67I'm expecting that revenge airport text Les  I love you xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Les please try and keep in touch. x
I know you are so happy to be seeing your partner again but we cant help but worry about you xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Nems wrote:Les please try and keep in touch. x
I know you are so happy to be seeing your partner again but we cant help but worry about you xx

What's her partner doing in Thailand?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 1:46 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:

What?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 1:47 pm

He'd better!  I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 1:49 pm

feelthelove wrote:

He had or we will set Scary FTL on him  affraid 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Nems wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

He had or we will set Scary FTL on him  affraid 

Oh yes  Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Nems wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

What?

Is Eli's partner in Thailand?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next