NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vicious Asian invaders threaten gentle indigenous English

Go down

Vicious Asian invaders threaten gentle indigenous English Empty Vicious Asian invaders threaten gentle indigenous English

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 4:37 pm

A new "killer" hornet may soon threaten Britain's honey bees, it has been warned.

The Asian hornet has already been spotted in France and could be transported to the UK in food pallets or may even be able to fly across the Channel. They are smaller than British hornets, with queens growing up to three centimetres long. Their bodies are dark brown or black with a fine yellow band and their stings are up to a quarter of an inch long.

They hunt in packs and have a taste for honey bees, often targeting adults outside the hive or eating the offspring inside.

Some experts claim they can kill up to 40 bees a day so if introduced into Britain, they could have a severe impact on the native honeybee population, which has been rapidly declining since the 1950s.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/killer-asian-hornet-could-wipe-honey-bees-020306592.html?vp=1#nAcTfal

Poor little bees. As if Monsanto isn't doing them enough harm as it is.

Back to top Go down

Vicious Asian invaders threaten gentle indigenous English Empty Re: Vicious Asian invaders threaten gentle indigenous English

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Well, let's hope we don't get them. As you say, bees have got enough to put up with.

Back to top Go down

Vicious Asian invaders threaten gentle indigenous English Empty Re: Vicious Asian invaders threaten gentle indigenous English

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 4:52 pm

...oh, There's a few that will love this heading Tess, but they'll feel the sting when they read the story! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Had a red-tailed bumble bee come into my house by mistake the other day and sat on my finger while I took it outside and put on a plant. It was huge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Sassy wrote:Had a red-tailed bumble bee come into my house by mistake the other day and sat on my finger while I took it outside and put on a plant.   It was huge.

..yer a brave lass our Sass!Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 5:04 pm

Joy Division wrote:
Sassy wrote:Had a red-tailed bumble bee come into my house by mistake the other day and sat on my finger while I took it outside and put on a plant.   It was huge.

..yer  a brave lass our Sass!Smile

Not really, they are very docile. Wouldn't get me going near a wasp or a hornet, I'm allergic to wasp stings, it's not nice!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Joy Division wrote:...oh, There's a few that will love this heading Tess, but they'll feel the sting when they read the story! Laughing

That's what I thought...  ::roglol:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Shneeky, werry shneeky lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down