NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On capital punishment, don’t start with the Old Testament

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

On capital punishment, don’t start with the Old Testament  Empty On capital punishment, don’t start with the Old Testament

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 8:11 am

After this week’s botched execution in Oklahoma, Albert Mohler, president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, argued why Christians should support the death penalty at CNN.com. Grounding his argument in Genesis 9:6, where Noah is told that anyone guilty of intentional murder should be put to death, Mohler says, “The one who intentionally takes life by murder forfeits the right to his own life.”
In my experience, most Christian pro-death penalty advocates make similar arguments, rooting themselves in Old Testament teaching. On occasion, they bolster their thinking with a somewhat cryptic reference to the government’s ability to “bear the sword” to “bring punishment on the wrongdoer” by the Apostle Paul. Rarely, will anyone cite Jesus’ teachings. Mohler is a capable theologian and a thinker I respect. And I have many intelligent friends who support the death penalty. Yet, I think it is problematic for Christians to root their support of capital punishment in the Jewish Scriptures.

Such thinking requires a bit of arbitrary Biblical picking and choosing. Sure, the Old Testament prescribes death for anyone who commits pre-meditated murder. But it doesn’t stop there. The Hebrew Scriptures also prescribe the death penalty for kidnapping (Exodus 21:16), bestiality (Exodus 22:12), rape (Deuteronomy 22:24), making a sacrifice to a false god (Exodus 22:20), adultery (Leviticus 20:10), homosexual behavior (Leviticus 20:13), and premarital sex (Deuteronomy 22:13-21).
A priest was instructed to burn his daughter alive if she was guilty of prostitution (Leviticus 21:9). If a “son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend” entices you to practice a false religion, they were instructed to “show them no pity” and “stone them to death” (Deuteronomy 13:6-10).
Do you have rebellious children (Deuteronomy 21:18-21) or kids who’ve hit or cursed you (Exodus 21:15-17)? Off with their heads!
Have you worked on the Sabbath (Exodus 35:2)? Try using your skills to bang license plates on death row.
Are you a banker who lends money with a high interest rate to make a profit (Ezekiel 18:13)? See you on the other side.
I am being humorous here, but the random picking and choosing of when to apply the Old Testament provisions for capital punishment is serious business that requires serious thought.
For example, what of the command in Deuteronomy 17:6 that someone could only be put to death on the evidence of two or three witnesses? Why don’t pro-death penalty advocates who ground their thinking in the Old Testament also require this provision before they support an execution? And what about the fact that in most of these cases a monetary substitute was allowed if the offender agreed to it? My pro-death penalty friends can’t seem to give me a clear answer on this.

Even more troubling is the way Christians who support the death penalty almost never consider the words and witness of Jesus. If you search Mohler’s CNN article for the words “Jesus” or “Christ,” you’ll find exactly zero references. And this approach, in my opinion, is not the best way to do theology. Christians are to be New Testament followers of Jesus, not members of an ancient Jewish tribe. As such, our thinking must be grounded in Jesus. He is the ultimate standard for what God desires of his people in this age, and he is the ultimate Word of God through which all other words are to be viewed.
Jesus said, “You have heard that it was taught, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.”
In one swift and startling statement, Jesus took a hammer to the lex talionis—the basis for capital punishment in the Hebrew Scriptures—and gave those who would follow after him a new way to live. Leaving violence and vengeance and the power of death and life to the only perfect being who exists: God.
In addition to his words and witness, we must also consider the work of Jesus. Which is to say, we must root our thinking in the gospel. As Preston Sprinkle, a vice president at Eternity Bible College, writes in his book “Fight: A Christian Case for Non-Violence,”

From God’s perspective, the wages of sin is death, which means that we all—even you—have already been convicted of capital crimes in God’s courtroom and have been given the death penalty. It would be odd—some would say hypocritical—for Christians to thank God for taking their death penalty and then spin around to celebrate the death of someone they think is worse than them.

Given recent events, we should expect that many leaders will be making a case either for or against capital punishment in the days ahead. Christians should not throw out the Old Testament with last week’s rubbish, but when evaluating any important matter—especially when lives are at stake—let us must begin with Jesus and the gospel and see where that leads us.

- See more at: http://jonathanmerritt.religionnews.com/2014/05/02/capital-punishment-dont-start-old-testament/#sthash.nuPsZ0Wu.dpuf

Back to top Go down

On capital punishment, don’t start with the Old Testament  Empty Re: On capital punishment, don’t start with the Old Testament

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 7:37 pm

what the OT got to do with Christianity??

Back to top Go down

On capital punishment, don’t start with the Old Testament  Empty Re: On capital punishment, don’t start with the Old Testament

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 03, 2014 7:59 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:what the OT got to do with Christianity??

Well, it's in every version of the Christian bible -- then there are the several NT verses that claim Jesus was there to fulfill the prophecies, etc. made in the OT.

I think it's just that the OT is a very barbaric document and now Christians are realizing they should be embarrassed by it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Everything according to Jesus, if of course you have read about him of course.
I mean was Jesus not a Jew, a practicing Jew that respected the scripture and the prophets?
Odd that one when nearly 2 billion Christians follow a bible edited to include the old Testament, very odd, even more so when many Christians see the bible, especially the Pentateuch as the word of god .

Its okay smelly I understand if you disagree because you hold a different interpretation than other Christians that you do not back the old testament, that is what religion is like, people interpret what they believe in, funny that eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Didge wrote:

I mean was Jesus not a Jew, a practicing Jew that respected the scripture and the prophets?
Odd that one when nearly 2 billion Christians follow a bible edited to include the old Testament, very odd, even more so when many Christians see the bible, especially the Pentateuch as the word of god .

Its okay smelly I understand if you disagree because you hold a different interpretation than other Christians that you do not back the old testament, that is what religion is like, people interpret what they believe in, funny that eh?

Is that the same thing as the Torah?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Nems wrote:
Didge wrote:

Bingo!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 8:35 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Nems wrote:

Bingo!
I guessed, I dont think I have ever heard that word before

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Nems wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Bingo!
Depends how you are taught Christianity Nems, as being raised a Catholic as i was, you learn many things about the bible hun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 03, 2014 8:38 pm

I never heard the word until I was in my university religion class.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 8:39 pm

Didge wrote:
Nems wrote:
Depends how you are taught Christianity Nems, as being raised a Catholic as i was, you learn many things about the bible hun.

I had very very little religious education Didge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 8:52 pm

That is interesting Nems, why?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Didge wrote:That is interesting Nems, why?

Coming from a secular place I guess. I cant remember anything I was taught in RE as it would have been then.
There were / area lot of Pagans there too as well as the mainstream religions.
It is also said there are more Covens there per capita than anywhere else on earth, that may have been a factor!  lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Nems wrote:
Didge wrote:That is interesting Nems, why?

Coming from a secular place I guess. I cant remember anything I was taught in RE as it would have been then.
It is also said there are more Covens there per capita than anywhere else on earth, that may have been a factor!  lol! 

Cool Nems, most have been fed religion through parents, you it seems have not and have a made your own choice, I respect that, very much so, without influence

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Didge wrote:
Nems wrote:

Cool Nems, most have been fed religion through parents, you it seems have not and have a made your own choice, I respect that, very much so, without influence

I must be honest I guess I cherry pick a bit. I dont believe in any organised religion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 9:40 pm

Nems wrote:
Didge wrote:

I must be honest I guess I cherry pick a bit. I dont believe in any organised religion.

I reckon you just believe in a loving God, more so because you see good in people more than bad, you need to remember that when you get annoyed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 9:50 pm

Didge wrote:
Nems wrote:

I reckon you just believe in a loving God, more so because you see good in people more than bad, you need to remember that when you get annoyed

I do try honestly. I have to be patient in my line of work but sometimes  ::slap:: lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Nems wrote:
Didge wrote:
Nems wrote:

I do try honestly. I have to be patient in my line of work but sometimes  ::slap:: lol! 

What's your line of work, if I might ask?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Nems wrote:
Didge wrote:

Fair play Nems, that is why I hold you in high regard, you are honest
xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Nems wrote:

I work for Victim Support I work mainly with DV and SV and hate crime victims

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat May 03, 2014 10:50 pm

It makes up the greater portion of the Bible; is used for readings and moral guidance in church services; and quoted from often enough by Christians.

I've not been a Christian for about 19 years myself but I'd say that Christians made/make the OT a lot to do with Christianity  Cool  Or maybe that's just when it suits...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Nems wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Nems wrote:

Yep, I can see that taxing your patience ... Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 10:55 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Nems wrote:

It does especially when you have a perp bailed to the victims address, TAU markers not put up and policemen
that say the victim will only cooperate if their is money in it for them .
But worst of all is the DV victims that go back time and again. That can be wearing. Especially when you know what the outcome will be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Nems wrote:

Oh I'm sure it does.   It will a bit more now she doesn't have Phil to take it out on, the kind of person she is supposed to support, not continually call 'scrounger' etc because his mental health issues mean he can't work and he is looking after a very sick partner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Sassy wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Oh I'm sure it does.   It will a bit more now she doesn't have Phil to take it out on, the kind of person she is supposed to support, not continually call 'scrounger' etc because his mental health issues mean he can't work and he is looking after a very sick partner.

If you cared so much about Phil perhaps you shouldnt have fed him all that crap about what a b---h I was to you. 90% of what he said to me was about you. Deny it all you like you used him you hard faced cow. If you care so much why not fuck off to bitchfest and keep him company? Give him your phone number so you can check he is ok. Aye Right

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 03, 2014 11:11 pm

You know, it put me in a really difficult spot, trying to take his mental problems into consideration while still trying to enforce rules he didn't seem willing to understand. I did the best I could and tried to do what seemed fair to me.

But I don't want to see yet another thread here sidetracked into bickering, so could we please try to stay on topic?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:You know, it put me in a really difficult spot, trying to take his mental problems into consideration while still trying to enforce rules he didn't seem willing to understand. I did the best I could and tried to do what seemed fair to me.

But I don't want to see yet another thread here sidetracked into bickering, so could we please try to stay on topic?

Apologies Ben I know you tried really hard with him. Not having history re written though. Time to move on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:You know, it put me in a really difficult spot, trying to take his mental problems into consideration while still trying to enforce rules he didn't seem willing to understand. I did the best I could and tried to do what seemed fair to me.

I know you did Ben, but unfortunately you were being sabatoged by an unholy alliance who seem to have got together specifically to wind him up about not being able to work.   It went on for thread after thread after thread.   They should be ashamed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 12:35 am

So he's had a hissy fit...again
and YES I gave him (well justified) hell....

So, what do you expect folks to do....

he has mental problems..so he says...
ok...I could go with that...

so...he's "special" then...
has to be accorded a different status and held to a lower level of accountability does he?
we (those that became the objects of his dislike...for whatever reason) have to "tolerate" his rantings?
you know what...this tolerance thing is a real wind up..
lefty...tolerate this, tolerate that, accept this accept that.
and yet.....the LEAST tolerant creature on earth is a "progressive".
whereby anyone who even questions, let alone outright disagrees with their perculiar mind set is immediately subject to attack like putting your hand in an ant nest...

I did warn him..several time...if he continued i would set out to hurt him via what I know of him...and yet....
and yes...he attacked me...like a rabid dog....
because he didnt like the flavour of my posts....
and NO
I was not in any "gang" or "alliance"

I can be nice as pie
or as nasty and low as a rattlesnake

I am no longer an "admin" ( cheers )
So I am no longer constrained by considerations of "neutrality"
and the requirements of needing to (impossibly) be mr nice guy to everyone

I tried it here once....and had to leave for a cool down.....
What is here now is not exactly what was there before....
because of "some" posters, who showed me the true face of the progressive

anyway...i doubt it was ME wot did it
but hey ho......

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun May 04, 2014 1:06 am

Ah, he blames it all on me and Nems, actually, but again, I'd prefer not to make this thread about him.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 1:16 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Ah, he blames it all on me and Nems, actually, but again, I'd prefer not to make this thread about him.

oh wow...consider your self honoured then

silent 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 1:18 am

Capital punishment = State revenge + vicarious revenge to aussage the blood lust of the R/W

fail.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 1:26 am

victorisnotamused wrote:So he's had a hissy fit...again

has to be accorded a different status and held to a lower level of accountability does he?
we (those that became the objects of his dislike...for whatever reason) have to "tolerate" his rantings?
whereby anyone who even questions, let alone outright disagrees with their perculiar mind set is immediately subject to attack like putting your hand in an ant nest...

I did warn him..several time...if he continued i would set out to hurt him via what I know of him...and yet....
and NO

I can be nice as pie

but hey ho......

That sounds nothing like an intelligent response but the response of someone bitter

Hey ho, very pathetic and not intelligent and happy to argue any point here with someone who thinks they do

Floor is yours

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 2:09 am

Didge wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:So he's had a hissy fit...again

and NO

I can be nice as pie

but hey ho......

That sounds nothing like an intelligent response but the response of someone bitter

Hey ho, very pathetic and not intelligent and happy to argue any point here with someone who thinks they do

Floor is yours

Do I give a fuck about what you think???

are you so arrogant as to think your (frequently crazed) opinions matter one jot to me?

://?roflmao?/: 

boy do you need to see a shrink.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 2:11 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Didge wrote:

Floor is yours

Do I give a fuck about what you think???

are you so arrogant as to think your (frequently crazed) opinions matter one jot to me?

://?roflmao?/: 

boy do you need to see a shrink.....

You do give a fuck what I think as you just replied

You just exposed you lied

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 2:52 am

take your pills didge.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 2:54 am

anyway...back to the OP
Capital punishment = State revenge + vicarious revenge to aussage the blood lust of the R/W

fail.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 2:55 am

victorisnotamused wrote:anyway...back to the OP

fail.....

Thus you advocate yourself as a fail being as you always seem to advocate revenage.

Odd that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 3:03 am

you fail to see the difference between "state revenge" and "personal revenge"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 3:06 am

victorisnotamused wrote:you fail to see the difference between "state revenge" and "personal revenge"

Oh I think I do, but again a nice copout answer, proving you have not a scooby doo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 3:09 am

Will reply tomorrow, seriously, get over your grudge Victo,r it is so childish and shows how bitter you can be.

Good luck and sweet dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Nems wrote:

Bingo!

The Torah??

Is that the same Torah read by Jews

Or the make it up as you go along non Jewish Torah as read by Christians??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 11:39 pm

Eilzel wrote:

It makes up the greater portion of the Bible; is used for readings and moral guidance in church services; and quoted from often enough by Christians.

I've not been a Christian for about 19 years myself but I'd say that Christians made/make the OT a lot to do with Christianity  Cool  Or maybe that's just when it suits...

Amazingly in depth thinking as usual elizel

Good job

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 9:38 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Well, it's in every version of the Christian bible -- then there are the several NT verses that claim Jesus was there to fulfill the prophecies, etc. made in the OT.

I think it's just that the OT is a very barbaric document and now Christians are realizing they should be embarrassed by it.

I'm not embarrassed, God knows and always has been in control and always will be .

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon May 05, 2014 11:52 am

smelly_bandit wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Amazingly in depth thinking as usual elizel

Good job

There's no point going in depth with you smelly; you'll just kick and scream and say I said whatever you wanted me to say to make it easier for you  Laughing 

You cannot deny everything I said is the case.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 12:49 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Bingo!

The Torah??

What do you mean Smelly?

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 05, 2014 5:05 pm

Nems wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Bingo!

It is the Five books we have in common with the Bible and the Torah
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 05, 2014 5:09 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Bingo!

The Torah??

The three Main religions have the First Five Books in common you twanker in chief
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 pm

David wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

The Torah??

The three Main religions have the First Five Books in common you twanker in chief

Really??

And how would you know??

Did Didge tell you that??

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue May 06, 2014 7:59 am

smelly_bandit wrote:
David wrote:

Really??

And how would you know??

Did Didge tell you that??

It is well known really twanker!  How did you not know that???
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 06, 2014 6:19 pm

From Wikipedia:

While Christianity includes the five books of Moses (the Pentateuch) among their sacred texts in its Old Testament, Islam states that only the original Torah was sent by the One true God. In neither religion does the Torah retain the religious legal significance that it has in Orthodox Judaism.

Among early centers of Christianity the Septuagint was used by Greek speakers, while Aramaic Targums were used by Aramaic speakers such as the Syriac Orthodox Church. It was regarded as the standard form of the Old Testament in the early Greek Christian Church and is still considered canonical in the Eastern Orthodox Church.[33] Though different Christian denominations have slightly different versions of the Old Testament in their Bibles, the Torah as the "Five Books of Moses" (or "the Mosaic Law") is common among them all.

The Quran refers heavily to Moses to outline the truth of his existence and the religious guidelines that God had revealed to the Children of Israel. God says in the Qur'an, "It is He Who has sent down the Book (the Qur'an) to you with truth, confirming what came before it. And He sent down the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)." [3:1]

Muslims call the Torah the Tawrat and consider it the word of God given to Moses. However, Muslims also believe that this original revelation was corrupted (tahrif)(or simply altered by the passage of time and human fallibility) over time by Jewish scribes[34] and hence do not revere the present "Jewish version" Torah as much. 7:144–144 The Torah in the Qur'an is always mentioned with respect in Islam. The Muslims' belief in the Torah, as well as the prophethood of Moses, is one of the fundamental tenets of Islam.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next