NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lloyds drops overdraft fee on Islamic accounts

+4
veya_victaous
Irn Bru
Raggamuffin
gerber
8 posters

Go down

Lloyds drops overdraft fee on Islamic accounts Empty Lloyds drops overdraft fee on Islamic accounts

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:15 pm

Lloyds Bank has been accused of religious discrimination after offering free overdraft accounts to Muslims.

The bank sent customers a booklet this month explaining new charges. While many will have to pay up to £80 a month if they go into the red, Muslims were told they would escape the charges. The document said: “We are removing the monthly overdraft management fee of £6 from our Islamic Account, Islamic Student Account and Islamic Graduate Account. So, if you use an unplanned overdraft on these accounts, there won’t be any charges.”

One customer, Anita Milton, a nurse of New Eltham, south London, said: “I can’t believe that they’re thinking of offering one account for Muslims and making everyone else pay for the same service. Do I have to change my religion to get the best deal?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10789509/Lloyds-drops-overdraft-fee-on-Islamic-accounts.html

Back to top Go down

Lloyds drops overdraft fee on Islamic accounts Empty Re: Lloyds drops overdraft fee on Islamic accounts

Post by gerber Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Middle son studying at uni will now change both his religion and bank details....

Thanks for the info

::D:: 
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Lloyds drops overdraft fee on Islamic accounts Empty Re: Lloyds drops overdraft fee on Islamic accounts

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:19 pm

gerber wrote:Middle son studying at uni will now change both his religion and bank details....

Thanks for the info

Tell him to move to Scotland and call his digs a mosque.

If the Scottish will have him that is...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:21 pm

Sorry - just checked - if you're from England, you pay the lot.

Scotland, Wales, or anywhere else in Europe, you don't pay the lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:21 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
gerber wrote:Middle son studying at uni will now change both his religion and bank details....

Thanks for the info

Tell him to move to Scotland and call his digs a mosque.

If the Scottish will have him that is...

He is studying in Edinburgh ironically................... and has to pay full wkack pale 
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:22 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Sorry - just checked - if you're from England, you pay the lot.

Scotland, Wales, or anywhere else in Europe, you don't pay the lot.

tell us about it................ Actually don't thank you  Twisted Evil 
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:54 pm

I shall be looking into this - although I never go overdrawn obviously.  ::D:: 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:51 pm

According to the article Lloyds are saying...

All of our Islamic accounts comply with Islamic law and are available to anyone regardless of background or faith.

Get in there...

I'm with the Royal Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Irn Bru wrote:According to the article Lloyds are saying...

All of our Islamic accounts comply with Islamic law and are available to anyone regardless of background or faith.

Get in there...

Why call it an Islamic account if anyone can have one?  Laughing 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Get in there...

Give Lloyds a ring. I'm sure they'll be able to explain it to you and invite you to transfer to one of them if you wish.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:21 am

Raggamuffin wrote:

Get in there...

because it follows the rules in the Koran, its not all bad you know they Actually still count Usury as a sin  Wink 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:24 am

Exactly, and Islamic Bank of Britain allows anyone to have an account with them, you don't have to be Muslim, and they don't charge interest either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:29 am

No they dont...I understand that instead they charge stinking great fees AND then you land with a tax liability on interest you dont pay...

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:33 am

Next time I pass a Lloyds bank I'll be expecting to see camels tied up to bollards in the car park.

Has it really come to this Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:35 am

victorisnotamused wrote:No they dont...I understand that instead they charge stinking great fees AND then you land with a tax liability on interest you dont pay...

Not true, there was a money programme on today, non-Muslims are treated exactly the same as Muslims. In fact on the programme today they were advising joining the Islamic Bank!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:36 am

Irn Bru wrote:Next time I pass a Lloyds bank I'll be expecting to see camels tied up to bollards in the car park.

yup...islamification proceeds nicely.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:38 am

Sassy wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:No they dont...I understand that instead they charge stinking great fees AND then you land with a tax liability on interest you dont pay...

Not true, there was a money programme on today, non-Muslims are treated exactly the same as Muslims.   In fact on the programme today they were advising joining the Islamic Bank!

i didnt say the were treated any differently.....how do you think an "Islamic" bank makes its money??? they dont charge interest...they charge "arrangement fees"
AND you have a tax liability on interest you dont pay......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:41 am

Irn Bru wrote:Next time I pass a Lloyds bank I'll be expecting to see camels tied up to bollards in the car park.

::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:47 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Not true, there was a money programme on today, non-Muslims are treated exactly the same as Muslims.   In fact on the programme today they were advising joining the Islamic Bank!

i didnt say the were treated any differently.....how do you think an "Islamic" bank makes its money??? they dont charge interest...they charge "arrangement fees"

Yes, but you know the fees from the onset and there are no interest rates to go up or down.

It becoming very popular as people get fed up with the way the normal banks work:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/oct/29/Islamic-finance-for-beginners

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:50 am

Guys, guys, guys -- it's not a special bank account especially for Muslims, as Sassy has pointed out. Think of it as a "halal" bank account, only in this case it's actually labeled as such  Laughing

What is actually happening here -- and all that's really happening -- is that people are learning that they actually like Islamic banking laws.  Razz Razz Razz 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:11 am

Sassy wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Yes, but you know the fees from the onset and there are no interest rates to go up or down.

It becoming very popular as people get fed up with the way the normal banks work:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/oct/29/Islamic-finance-for-beginners

plus those fees cannot exceed 10% of total, but if you are paying 5% per annum on 20 year loan you are paying way more than 10% in total interests cost by the time your finished, closer to 80% of the original Principal. Here they are often tied to house and land packages and they are also making profit off the house and land (part of the business model), the loans just allows people to buy, just like the Electronics store that does '6 months interest free' just a different scale.  study 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:18 am

I was just about to say how awfully biased this is until I read that anyone can have one of theses Islamic accounts..

Come on Tess, don't just write half truths and leave the rest out !!!...

Or was it Andy?...same thing  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:36 am

Joy Division wrote:I was just about to say how awfully biased this is until I read that anyone can have one of theses Islamic accounts..

And queers don't have to live in queer-hating countries, but you all still get upset about it don't you?

I could go on, but I think you understand that it is discrimination, but as we have been discussing this past month, you will defend it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:47 am

Just went down to open my new account - have you seen their new signs?

Lloyds drops overdraft fee on Islamic accounts Untitl14

B4st4rds!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:50 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
Joy Division wrote:I was just about to say how awfully biased this is until I read that anyone can have one of theses Islamic accounts..

And queers don't have to live in queer-hating countries, but you all still get upset about it don't you?

I could go on, but I think you understand that it is discrimination, but as we have been discussing this past month, you will defend it.

If the banks are available to anyone, then it isn't discrimination.

As for queers not having to live in queer hating countries- well you are sort of right; they can come here and claim asylum if they are from (for example) Uganda or Saudi Arabia- but then you'd moan about that wouldn't you  Wink 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:58 am

"All of our Islamic accounts comply with Islamic law and are available to anyone regardless of background or faith. "

What Islamic law?

And this from a few years ago:

Many Lloyds TSB customers are being hit with charges of up to £200 a month if they go into the red - while Muslims who use the bank are only being charged £15.

The part-nationalised bank has been accused of religious discrimination over the disparity between overdraft charges on its standard current account and its Islamic account.

The Islamic account was set up by the high street bank to attract Muslim customers by allowing them to keep faithful to their religion.

Sharia law does not permit the payment of interest so the 'typical' Islamic account at Lloyds TSB has been set up without an overdraft facility.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208204/An-overdraft-Thatll-200-Lloyds-TSB-15-youre-Muslim.html#ixzz30Guhm4cZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:05 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:"All of our Islamic accounts comply with Islamic law and are available to anyone regardless of background or faith. "

What Islamic law?  

And this from a few years ago:

Many Lloyds TSB customers are being hit with charges of up to £200 a month if they go into the red - while Muslims who use the bank are only being charged £15.

The part-nationalised bank has been accused of religious discrimination over the disparity between overdraft charges on its standard current account and its Islamic account.

The Islamic account was set up by the high street bank to attract Muslim customers by allowing them to keep faithful to their religion.

Sharia law does not permit the payment of interest so the 'typical' Islamic account at Lloyds TSB has been set up without an overdraft facility.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208204/An-overdraft-Thatll-200-Lloyds-TSB-15-youre-Muslim.html#ixzz30Guhm4cZ

Not formal (as in government passed) Islamic law Andy, but the law of the faith they believe. And again you could go and set up such an account if you like- what is the problem?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:06 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:

I don't really approve of the word 'queer' tbh. cheers 
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 pm

WTF? I simply posted the article. I made NO comment whatsoever. How is that half the facts exactly? Anyway, if you think it's not biased I read somewhere (will find it) that the bank only sent this information to Muslim customers, and that if people in general took advantage of it on a large scale the bank would suffer a great loss, so clearly it wasn't intended to be made so public, and was biased in favour of Muslims.

I hope every fucker takes advantage of it and costs the bank a fortune. Karma.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Tesstacious wrote:

WTF?  I simply posted the article.  I made NO comment whatsoever.  How is that half the facts exactly?  Anyway, if you think it's not biased I read somewhere (will find it) that the bank only sent this information to Muslim customers, and that if people in general took advantage of it on a large scale the bank would suffer a great loss, so clearly it wasn't intended to be made so public, and was biased in favour of Muslims.

I hope every fucker takes advantage of it and costs the bank a fortune.  Karma.

..oh honestly Tess, you should present all the facts  Laughing 

LMAO at the latter of your post  Laughing

Last edited by Joy Division on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:55 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

I don't really approve of the word 'queer' tbh. cheers 

And I respect you not approving of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:24 pm

It is wrong to drop fees for only a chosen group based on religion or race etc, just as it would be to impose extra on others for the same reasons.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Lloyd's car park

Lloyds drops overdraft fee on Islamic accounts Camel-parking

Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down