NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crime rate in England and Wales falls 15% to its lowest level in 33 years

Go down

Crime rate in England and Wales falls 15% to its lowest level in 33 years Empty Crime rate in England and Wales falls 15% to its lowest level in 33 years

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:36 pm

The crime rate in England and Wales has fallen by an unexpected 15% to an estimated 7.5m offences, its lowest level since the official survey began 33 years ago.
The fall is one of the biggest in the history of the authoritative Crime Survey of England and Wales, and was driven by a 22% fall in violent crime, a 25% fall in some types of household theft, a 15% fall in vandalism and a 10% fall in car crime.
The murder rate in England and Wales also showed a slight fall in 2013, down to 551, and is now nearly 50% below the 2001-02 peak of 1,047, which included many of the victims of Harold Shipman.
The claim that England and Wales are now much safer than 20 years ago is reinforced by figures showing that even antisocial behaviour fell by 7% last year, extending a six-year decline.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the 15% fall in the overall rate meant that crime had fallen by 25% since 2007-08 and by 60% since its peak level in 1995.
The second official measure of crime, the contested police-recorded crime figures, which have lost their national statistics status, showed a much smaller annual fall of 2% to 3.7m offences. Statisticians said this was possibly the result of a renewed focus on the quality of crime recording by the police following the political controversy over their integrity.
However, the police recorded crime figures reveal a continued upward pressure in specific crimes thought to be related to economic hardship, particularly shoplifting, which rose by 6% across England and Wales last year.
But this masked a growing north-south pattern, with the underlying figures showing rises in shoplifting of 20% in the West Midlands, 19% in Nottinghamshire and 16% on Merseyside. Increases in shoplifting were recorded in 34 out of the 43 police force areas.
The police figures also show the first fall for two years in smartphone street thefts, with the category of thefts from the person, which includes pickpocketing, falling by 2% last year.
The detailed police recorded crime figures also report a 17% rise in sexual offences including a 20% rise in rape to 19,214, the highest level for a decade.
The large rise in rapes and other sexual offences was partly due to increases in offences involving children, according to statisticians. The police figures record 13,090 sexual offences involving a child under the age of 13 in 2013, the highest reported total for a decade, and an increase of 32% on the previous 12 months. They include a 54% increase in rapes and sexual assaults on boys under 13 which rose from 1,775 to 2,727 last year. The number of sexual attacks on girls under 13 rose by 25% to 7,611 last year.
Statisticians said that the rises reflected similar recent figures from the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, which attributed some of this increase to the impact of the Jimmy Savile case. They said that media coverage of Savile and the police investigation into historical sex crimes, Operation Yewtree, had prompted victims to come forward.
The 2013 crime figures are the first full-year data after the Savile disclosures, and the "Yewtree effect" is starting to decline, statisticians say. While allegations relating to current offences rather than historical allegations accounted for only 21% of the increase in the crime figures six months ago, they now account for 50% of the increase in this latest set.
The detailed crime figures also show a 25% rise in fraud to 207,252 recorded by Action Fraud, a new central organisation which has taken over the recording of fraud in all police force areas. Much of it is online fraud, data for which was not being captured by individual police forces before.
But the overall picture shows a 15% fall in crime across nearly all other categories.
The detailed figures show not only a continued decline in the murder rate but robberies down 12%, gun crime down 6% and knife crime down 4%. Household burglaries, once the main crime concern in the 1980s and 1990s, show a further 4% fall on the crime survey.
Drug offences were also down by 5% but 171,000 people are still being penalised for possession of drugs, mainly cannabis.
There is no consensus among criminologists about the key factors driving the sustained fall in crime. Earlier this week Cardiff University researchers highlighted the decline in binge drinking and rising alcohol prices as a factor, but competing theories include links to the state of the economy and the removal of lead in petrol.
Statisticians said that the difference between the 15% fall estimated by the survey and the much smaller 2% fall on the police recorded figures partly reflected the renewed focus on improving their quality. They pointed to rises in recorded violent crime figures of 26% in Gwent and 25% in Kent – the two forces where the controversy over "fiddled figures" was most intense – as evidence of a correction in recording methods taking place.
Crime rate in England and Wales falls 15% to its lowest level in 33 years Crime-survey-trends
Norman Baker, the crime prevention minister, said the figures showed clear evidence that the government's programme of police reform was working.
He said: "The government has a strong record on reinforcing the independence and accountability of the statistics. We asked Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary last June to carry out an audit of the quality of crime recording in every police force, and the home secretary has written to chief constables emphasising that the police must ensure that crimes are recorded accurately and honestly."
But Jon Collins of the Police Foundation said the government should be wary of resting on its laurels. "While some crimes – such as burglary and car crime – are clearly not the problem they once were, it's possible that the official crime figures are just not picking up the extent to which new opportunities for crime have emerged, particularly online," he said.
He added: "Significant increases in levels of fraud, while likely to be at least in part a product of changes in reporting and recording practice, are of particular concern within this context. In welcoming falling crime rates, it's important not to be blind to new and emerging challenges."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/24/crime-rate-england-wales-falls-lowest-level-33-years

Back to top Go down

Crime rate in England and Wales falls 15% to its lowest level in 33 years Empty Re: Crime rate in England and Wales falls 15% to its lowest level in 33 years

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:43 pm

I think you're best listening to BigAndy9's facts on crime - the others just don't seem to add up do they?

Violent crime could be on the brink of a record rise in England and Wales after two police forces which adopted “open” and “ethical” crime recording policies showed a 25 per jump in violence last year.

The significant increases in recorded “violence against the person” offences in the two counties - Gwent, in south Wales, and Kent - are expected to foreshadow similar increases in other forces following widespread concern about police “fiddling” the figures.

Across England and Wales last year there was a surprise 1 per cent rise in violent crime recorded by the police to 614,400, or nearly 7,000 extra victims in the year.

The jump was partly attributable to the huge increases in Kent and Gwent, but another 20 forces also showed jumps in violence, including five with double-digit increases.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10785844/Violent-crime-heading-for-record-rise.html

Back to top Go down

Crime rate in England and Wales falls 15% to its lowest level in 33 years Empty Re: Crime rate in England and Wales falls 15% to its lowest level in 33 years

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks another assumption based upon to Police forces, not exactly endorsing violent crime is rising is it Andy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:45 pm

This is also the crime survery

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:09 pm

It may well be THE crime survey....but it uses statistics from the police forces...and we know how open transparent and politically unbiased THEIR stats are....

prhaps if what andy says is right and two forces using the "proper " statistics show differently then there is a problem...either with their areas OR with the rest of the countries police stats...

lets face it...stats can (and regularly ARE) "massaged" by those with an axe to grind, especially those who wish to hide uncomfortable truths...like the left....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:12 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:It may well be THE crime survey....but it uses statistics from the police forces...and we know how open transparent and politically unbiased THEIR stats are....

prhaps if what andy says is right and two forces using the "proper " statistics show differently then there is a problem...either with their areas OR with the rest of the countries police stats...

lets face it...stats can (and regularly ARE) "massaged" by those with an axe to grind, especially those who wish to hide uncomfortable truths...like the left....

It does not also use hospital admissions then with violent crime then,, insurance claims etc or other measures then?

It being one reputed one of the best in the world.

So how do you twist violent crimes stats then Victor when you have as seen other information? 

I suggest you check your facts before stating incorrect information

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 pm

simple really didge...simple like you.....

YOU JUST DEFINE things to suit....

you see thats the problem with stats.....It all depends on how you define your data.....

as for it being repeuted to be one of the best...that is meaningless drivel...the best pile of shit is STILL a pile of shit....however you look at it.

Thing Is...I dont know if its right or wrong.....the level of violent crime that has affected me in many years has been zero.....

what I do KNOW with 100% certainty is that you cannot trust "official" figures, especially when they confirm what the "about to enter an election campaign" ruling party want everybody to think........

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:33 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:simple really didge...simple like you.....

YOU JUST DEFINE things to suit....

you see thats the problem with stats.....It all depends on how you define your data.....

as for it being repeuted to be one of the best...that is meaningless drivel...the best pile of shit is STILL a pile of shit....however you look at it.

Thing Is...I dont know if its right or wrong.....the level of violent crime that has affected me in many years has been zero.....

what I do KNOW with 100% certainty is that you cannot trust "official" figures, especially when they confirm what the "about to enter an election campaign" ruling party want everybody to think........

So again you reply on hearsay, even the crime survey has again been designated one of the most reliable in the world.
Claims need backing, not hearsay and again you cannot twist certain facts like for example when someone is treated at hospital, you need to understand how things are recorded, it may help

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:39 pm

I do know how things are recorded.....

what neither YOU nor I know is whether or not THOSE definitions...(that a&E use) are the SAME as those used by the survey..AND we also need to know IF those definitions used by A&E are accurate...I mean...they can only go by what people tell them...

as to it being said to be the most accurate...who said that???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:44 pm

The reason these figure look 'down' is they are for RECORDED crime NOT REPORTED crime

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:50 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:I do know how things are recorded.....

what neither YOU nor I know is whether or not THOSE definitions...(that a&E use) are the SAME as those used by the survey..AND we also need to know IF those definitions used by A&E are accurate...I mean...they can only go by what people tell them...

as to it being said to be the most accurate...who said that???

You need to know if they are accurate, prove they are not accurate, not make baseless assumptions based again only off what you think?

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110218135832/rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs07/bcs25.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Plus the fact it tallies with crime falling from Police figures.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:00 pm

The British Crime Survey:

• Is a victimisation survey in which adults living in private households are asked about their experiences of crime in face-to-face interviews.
  • Currently interviews over 51,000 people aged 16 or over every year.
  • Is a survey of a representative sample of people resident in England and Wales (the British Crime Survey
  • does not sample people in Scotland or Northern Ireland, which have separate surveys: the Scottish Crime & Justice Surveyand the ]Northern Ireland Crime & Victimisation Survey.)
  • Asks about people’s experiences and perceptions of crime
  •  Includes questions on people’s attitudes towards crime-related topics (including, for example, anti-social behaviour, the police, and criminal justice system)
  • Provides what many criminologists consider to be a very reliable measure of the extent of victimisation and of national trends over time
  • Is not affected by whether the public report crime or by changes to the way in which the police record crime

http://www.crimlinks.com/BritishCrimeSurvey.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:02 pm

ahh...bollocks....

I DONT have to prove they are innacurate....in order to question if they are accurate....
I have ALREADY stated I DONT KNOW...if I KNEW they were not accurate I WOULD BLOODY WELL SAY SO..

My Point is I have an innate distrust of "official figures"...especially approaching an election campaign...Unlike YOU I dont take everything issued by those eejits controlled by the bigger eejits in parliament as given. beleive it or not, politicians LIE, and "official bodies" lie on their behalf from time to time....

Ye gods...talk about cap doffer.......Yes sir I believe EVERY word that falls from your mouth....sir thank you sir,

AND...who SAYS it its the best?????

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:04 pm

Believe what you like, if you want to be skeptical about everything and anything it shows how little you trust anyone, and I won;t even get into the psychology of that with you as would not want to embarrass you.

So what have you offered?

Nothing, yet again, accept an opinion without substance

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Didge wrote:The British Crime Survey:

• Is a victimisation survey in which adults living in private households are asked about their experiences of crime in face-to-face interviews.
  • Is a survey of a representative sample of people resident in England and Wales (the British Crime Survey
  • does not sample people in Scotland or Northern Ireland, which have separate surveys: the Scottish Crime & Justice Surveyand the ]Northern Ireland Crime & Victimisation Survey.)
  •  Includes questions on people’s attitudes towards crime-related topics (including, for example, anti-social behaviour, the police, and criminal justice system)
  • Provides what many criminologists consider to be a very reliable measure of the extent of victimisation and of national trends over time
  • Is not affected by whether the public report crime or by changes to the way in which the police record crime

As seen experts seem to think they are realiable

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:12 pm

More to the point Victor you fall into the following link category of over exaggeration, think things are far worse than they actually are and again offer no proof except athleticism:

A new survey by Ipsos MORI for the Royal Statistical Society and King’s College London highlights how wrong the British public can be on the make-up of the population and the scale of key social policy issues.  The top ten misperceptions are:
1.       Teenage pregnancy: on average, we think teenage pregnancy is 25 times higher than official estimates:  we think that 15% of girls under 16 get pregnant each year, when official figures suggest it is around 0.6%[i]
2.       Crime: 58% do not believe that crime is falling, when the Crime Survey for England and Wales shows that incidents of crime were 19% lower in 2012 than in 2006/07 and 53% lower than in 1995[ii].  51% think violent crime is rising, when it has fallen from almost 2.5 million incidents in 2006/07 to under 2 million in 2012[iii].
3.       Job-seekers allowance: 29% of people think we spend more on JSA than pensions, when in fact we spend 15 times more on pensions (£4.9bn vs £74.2bn)[iv].
4.       Benefit fraud: people estimate that 34 times more benefit money is claimed fraudulently than official estimates: the public think that £24 out of every £100 spent on benefits is claimed fraudulently, compared with official estimates of £0.70 per £100[v].
5.       Foreign aid: 26% of people think foreign aid is one of the top 2-3 items government spends most money on, when it actually made up 1.1% of expenditure (£7.9bn) in the 2011/12 financial year.  More people select this as a top item of expenditure than pensions (which cost nearly ten times as much, £74bn) and education in the UK (£51.5bn)[vi].
6.       Religion: we greatly overestimate the proportion of the population who are Muslims: on average we say 24%, compared with 5% in England and Wales.  And we underestimate the proportion of Christians: we estimate 34% on average, compared with the actual proportion of 59% in England and Wales[vii].
7.       Immigration and ethnicity: the public think that 31% of the population are immigrants, when the official figures are 13%[viii]. Even estimates that attempt to account for illegal immigration suggest a figure closer to 15%.  There are similar misperceptions on ethnicity: the average estimate is that Black and Asian people make up 30% of the population, when it is actually 11% (or 14% if we include mixed and other non-white ethnic groups)[ix].
8.       Age: we think the population is much older than it actually is – the average estimate is that 36% of the population are 65+, when only 16% are[x].
9.       Benefit bill: people are most likely to think that capping benefits at £26,000 per household will save most money from a list provided (33% pick this option), over twice the level that select raising the pension age to 66 for both men and women or stopping child benefit when someone in the household earns £50k+.  In fact, capping household benefits is estimated to save £290m[xi], compared with £5bn[xii] for raising the pension age and £1.7bn[xiii] for stopping child benefit for wealthier households.
10.   Voting: we underestimate the proportion of people who voted in the last general election – our average guess is 43%, when 65% of the electorate actually did (51% of the whole population)[xiv]
These misperceptions present clear issues for informed public debate and policy-making, which will be discussed at an event being run by the Royal Statistical Society, King’s College London and Ipsos MORI today, as part of the International Year of Statistics.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3188/Perceptions-are-not-reality-the-top-10-we-get-wrong.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Didge wrote:
Didge wrote:The British Crime Survey:

As seen experts seem to think they are realiable

oh thats alright then.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:15 pm

Didge wrote:More to the point Victor you fall into the following link category of over exaggeration, think things are far worse than they actually are and again offer no proof except athleticism:

A new survey by Ipsos MORI for the Royal Statistical Society and King’s College London highlights how wrong the British public can be on the make-up of the population and the scale of key social policy issues.  The top ten misperceptions are:
1.       Teenage pregnancy: on average, we think teenage pregnancy is 25 times higher than official estimates:  we think that 15% of girls under 16 get pregnant each year, when official figures suggest it is around 0.6%[i]
2.       Crime: 58% do not believe that crime is falling, when the Crime Survey for England and Wales shows that incidents of crime were 19% lower in 2012 than in 2006/07 and 53% lower than in 1995[ii].  51% think violent crime is rising, when it has fallen from almost 2.5 million incidents in 2006/07 to under 2 million in 2012[iii].
3.       Job-seekers allowance: 29% of people think we spend more on JSA than pensions, when in fact we spend 15 times more on pensions (£4.9bn vs £74.2bn)[iv].
4.       Benefit fraud: people estimate that 34 times more benefit money is claimed fraudulently than official estimates: the public think that £24 out of every £100 spent on benefits is claimed fraudulently, compared with official estimates of £0.70 per £100[v].
5.       Foreign aid: 26% of people think foreign aid is one of the top 2-3 items government spends most money on, when it actually made up 1.1% of expenditure (£7.9bn) in the 2011/12 financial year.  More people select this as a top item of expenditure than pensions (which cost nearly ten times as much, £74bn) and education in the UK (£51.5bn)[vi].
6.       Religion: we greatly overestimate the proportion of the population who are Muslims: on average we say 24%, compared with 5% in England and Wales.  And we underestimate the proportion of Christians: we estimate 34% on average, compared with the actual proportion of 59% in England and Wales[vii].
7.       Immigration and ethnicity: the public think that 31% of the population are immigrants, when the official figures are 13%[viii]. Even estimates that attempt to account for illegal immigration suggest a figure closer to 15%.  There are similar misperceptions on ethnicity: the average estimate is that Black and Asian people make up 30% of the population, when it is actually 11% (or 14% if we include mixed and other non-white ethnic groups)[ix].
8.       Age: we think the population is much older than it actually is – the average estimate is that 36% of the population are 65+, when only 16% are[x].
9.       Benefit bill: people are most likely to think that capping benefits at £26,000 per household will save most money from a list provided (33% pick this option), over twice the level that select raising the pension age to 66 for both men and women or stopping child benefit when someone in the household earns £50k+.  In fact, capping household benefits is estimated to save £290m[xi], compared with £5bn[xii] for raising the pension age and £1.7bn[xiii] for stopping child benefit for wealthier households.
10.   Voting: we underestimate the proportion of people who voted in the last general election – our average guess is 43%, when 65% of the electorate actually did (51% of the whole population)[xiv]
These misperceptions present clear issues for informed public debate and policy-making, which will be discussed at an event being run by the Royal Statistical Society, King’s College London and Ipsos MORI today, as part of the International Year of Statistics.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3188/Perceptions-are-not-reality-the-top-10-we-get-wrong.aspx

Yes this one is more up your thinking Victor, in fact bang on the money to your poor perceptions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Didge wrote:
Didge wrote:More to the point Victor you fall into the following link category of over exaggeration, think things are far worse than they actually are and again offer no proof except athleticism:

[color=#757575]1.       Teenage pregnancy: on average, we think teenage pregnancy is 25 times higher than official estimates:  we think that 15% of girls under 16 get pregnant each year, when official figures suggest it is around 0.6%.ipsos-

never discussed...but i have never thought much different I have always considered the myth of vast rates of teen pregnancy is another R/W myth

mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3188/Perceptions-are-not-reality-the-top-10-we-get-wrong.aspx#_edn1][i][/url]. 

2.       Crime: 58% do not believe that crime is falling, when the Crime Survey for England and Wales shows that incidents of crime were 19% lower in 2012 than in 2006/07 and 53% lower than in 1995

As I said...I dont know...I have to take the figure as given.....that still doesnt stop me being skeptical.....especially with the timing...very convenient....

[ii].  51% think violent crime is rising, when it has fallen from almost 2.5 million incidents in 2006/07 to under 2 million in 2012[iii].

Again...I have NEVER disputed those facts....ever...and the mis perception of this is again R/W propaganda......stirred up by the media and reinforced by your pals, who love playing politics with peoples lives...

i have again never said otherwise...what I have said is that IF benefits are a problem then foreign aid should be cut to provide for our own....according to the figures you have kindly provided...JSA costs 4.9bn whilst foreign aid costs 7.9bn....a no brainer really.....

6.       Religion: we greatly overestimate the proportion of the population who are Muslims: on average we say 24%, compared with 5% in England and Wales.

Actually...I undersetimated at 3%

And we underestimate the proportion of Christians: we estimate 34% on average, compared with the actual proportion of 59% in England and Wales[vii].

since i never commented on that issue.....its nonsense in the context of our discussion....mere padding

again...I dont think I have ever offered an estimate of the % breakdown of ethnicity in the uk????

never offered any opinion...snce nobody ever asked...more padding

Again I doubt I have ever offered an opinion contrary to this....again these perceptions are due SOLEY to the R/W propaganda machine ...reinforced by claptrap from westminster....your pals at it again didge........

Voting: we underestimate the proportion of people who voted in the last general election – our average guess is 43%, when 65% of the electorate actually did (51% of the whole population)[xiv]

never offered an opinion....however 65% is an appalingly low turnout.....not as low as it has been at times ...but still low....which shows how exciting joe public finds politics....

Yes this one is more up your thinking Victor, in fact bang on the money to your poor perceptions

except didge...you are a liar....as shown above...one issue where i merely question the reasons and rational of the stats....and yet you make a poor attempt to drive guilt of all those things on the back of it when in fact the opposite is actually true  ::dunno::  ://?roflmao?/: twat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Have to answer this before I go, because I really just spat my dinner out with laughing, as irony is not one of Victors strong points or even understanding the point I was making.

Lets give him the night to try and figure out what it was, as never claimed he viewd this views points but on something else.

Bless him, thanks for the laugh Victor, but you missed the point

and wasted time responding to the view points, that is what is even funnier

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:00 pm

I will highlight the points for him, before I go:

More to the point Victor you fall into the following link category of over exaggeration, think things are far worse than they actually are and again offer no proof except :

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Didge wrote:Have to answer this before I go, because I really just spat my dinner out with laughing, as irony is not one of Victors strong points or even understanding the point I was making.

Lets give him the night to try and figure out what it was, as never claimed he viewd this views points but on something else.

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Night

thank you didge.....finally you have admitted that you are indeed what I called you a while back....

TROLL ::troll:: 

back on ignore ...since you dont want to "debate" since you have no points and are in a minority of one....all you want to do is "waste peoples time", which explains the childish drivel you come out with.

you can  ::troll::  to yourself

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:31 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Didge wrote:Have to answer this before I go, because I really just spat my dinner out with laughing, as irony is not one of Victors strong points or even understanding the point I was making.

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Night

thank you didge.....finally you have admitted that you are indeed what I called you a while back....

TROLL ::troll:: 

back on ignore ...since you dont want to "debate" since you have no points and are in a minority of one....all you want to do is "waste peoples time", which explains the childish drivel you come out with.

you can  ::troll::  to yourself

So let me get this straight, you are putting me on ignore because I just made you look a wally?

Oh my

::D::

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down