NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk

+3
eddie
Ben Reilly
Raggamuffin
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk - Page 2 Empty Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

LONDON (Reuters) - A group of scientists, academics and prominent writers accused Prime Minister David Cameron on Monday of stoking sectarian divisions through his repeated description of Britain as a "Christian country".

The public figures, including authors Philip Pullman and Terry Pratchett, said they respected the Conservative leader's own religious beliefs, which he has addressed in a series of statements.

But they took issue with his characterisation of Britain saying, in a letter to the Daily Telegraph, the country was actually a "plural society" of largely "non-religious" people.

"To constantly claim otherwise fosters alienation and division in our society," said the 55 members of the group that also included Nobel prize winning scientist John Sulston.

"It needlessly fuels enervating sectarian debates that are by and large absent from the lives of most British people, who do not want religions or religious identities to be actively prioritised by their elected government," the letter added.

The 2011 census showed Christianity was the largest religion in England and Wales but the number of people who described themselves as Christian had fallen from almost 72 percent in 2001 to just over 59 percent, or 33.2 million people.

About 14 million people said they had no religion.

Cameron told an Easter reception this month he was "proud to be a Christian myself and to have my children at a church school".

In an article in the Church Times last week, he described himself as "a member of the Church of England, and, I suspect, a rather classic one: not that regular in attendance, and a bit vague on some of the more difficult parts of the faith".

Britain, he added, should be more confident about its status as a Christian country and more evangelical.

Cameron's comments follow a period of tension between the Church of England and the Conservative party, the major partner in Britain's coalition government that faces a parliamentary election next year.

Church leaders have joined forces to criticise welfare reforms and the rising use of free food banks across Britain.

Cameron also angered some Christians - and caused deep splits in the Conservative party - as he drove new legislation through parliament to allow same-sex marriages in Britain.

A spokeswoman for Cameron said the prime minister's view that Britain should not be afraid to call itself a Christian country did not mean he felt it was wrong to have another faith, or no faith.

"He has said on many occasions that he is incredibly proud that Britain is home to many different faith communities, who do so much to make the UK a stronger country," she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/british-pm-accused-fuelling-division-Christian-talk-125209926.html

Cameron is an idiot.
He and the other Christian shits need to learn that this is a secular country first and foremost.

Back to top Go down

Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk - Page 2 Empty Re: Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Yeah, if Veya's stupid I'm a slobbering idiot -- and I don't slobber, I stopped doing that several years ago. Raggs, you shouldn't take things so personally.

now now ben

you shouldn't be taking sides remember

Back to top Go down

Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk - Page 2 Empty Peter Tatchell: ‘It is wrong for David Cameron to single out Christians for special praise’

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk - Page 2 Peter-Tatchell
Peter Tatchell: 'David Cameron is mistaken'

Peter Tatchell says the Prime Minister is wrong to view Britain as “a Christian country”, and that the Church of England is “far from being the repository of great moral virtue and leadership” due to its equal marriage opposition.

David Cameron is mistaken when he says “Britain is a Christian country” and that we should be “evangelical” about Christianity.

That’s why I joined over 50 prominent writers, scientists and academics to sign a critical letter to the Prime Minister. The letter was organised by the British Humanist Association.

We acknowledge that Christians make a contribution to UK society but so do people of other faiths and no faith.

It is wrong for David Cameron to single out Christians for special praise, to offer them privileged access to Downing Street and to support an expanded role for Christian groups in providing essential public services.

He’s also misguided to suggest Britain should be evangelise Christianity. This sounds like proselytising. It makes him comes across as partisan, favouring one faith over all others.

Britain was once a mostly Christian nation but no more.

A YouGov poll in 2011 asked: Are you religious? Only 29% said yes (and many of these belonged to non-Christian faiths). 65% said no.

The 2011 census asked a rather leading question on religion and got a different result. 59% said they were Christian. But most of these identify as Christian culturally, not religiously.

Moreover, this is a big drop from the previous census in 2001, when 72% identified as Christian – a loss of 4.1 million people claiming Christian adherence.

Ticking a box on a census form is easy. It is not the same as actually practising Christianity. It is religious practice, not tick boxing, that’s the real test of whether we are still a Christian country.

In fact, only 7% of the population are practising Christians. A mere 2% go to church on Sunday. The number of practising Muslims in the UK is now almost as great as the number of practising Christians – around 2 million versus 2.5 million.

In addition, Christian anniversaries like Easter and Christmas are not celebrated by most people as religious festivals. They are just holidays like any other holiday – mostly an excuse for a lie-in, shopping, watching football and other non-religious indulgences. The vast majority of people don’t pray or go to church on these occasions.

For all these reasons, by no stretch of the imagination can Britain be said to be a Christian country.

Britain is, in fact, a multifaith and no faith society. Christians are just one part of our plural, diverse culture. It is best for everyone, including people of faith, if the state is neutral on matters of religion; not favouring or privileging one religion over others. This way there is a level playing field for people of all faiths and none.

The idea the Britain has always been Christian is untrue. Humans have been in the British Isles for around 40,000 years. Christianity has been here for less than 2,000 years – a small fraction of British history.

Far from being the repository of great moral virtue and leadership, as David Cameron has suggested, the social and political influence of many Christians has been often malign. In feudal times, the churches supported the tyranny of absolute monarchs – and later slavery and colonialism. They opposed votes for women and gay equality. Indeed, only last year they fought an intolerant, bigoted campaign to retain homophobic discrimination and prevent same-sex couples getting married.

Some Christians have been very good on issues like poverty, welfare reform and justice for poorer countries. But many non-Christians have also been good on these issues. Commendable humanitarian organisations like the Child Poverty Action Group, War on Want and Amnesty International include people of all faiths and none.

Some of my critics claim that I and other humanists persecute Christians. Not true. On free speech grounds, I have been vocal in opposing the criminalisation and prosecution of Christian street preachers, such as Harry Hammond and Dale McAlpine – despite their homophobia – even offering to testify in their defence in court. I’ve also been involved in campaigns defending persecuted Christians in countries like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

We humanists believe that freedom of religion – and non-religion – is a fundamental human right.

Peter Tatchell is director of the London-based human rights organisation, the Peter Tatchell Foundation, and coordinator of the Equal Love campaign.

This article was first published in The Huffington Post.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/04/23/peter-tatchell-it-is-wrong-for-david-cameron-to-single-out-Christians-for-special-praise/

Back to top Go down

Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk - Page 2 Empty Re: Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Good afternoon Folks.

I don't like David Cameron & I am an athiest but for once he's said something right.

The UK is a predominantly Christian nation which is nothing to be ashamed of & I hope it remains that way.

When I attended infant & junior school,we had morning assembly,sang a hymm & that was it.Christianity was not shoved down my throat & as I got older I abandoned it.Additionally,I had no problem with my kids going through the same process.

The usual bunch of idiots who have attacked Cameron which includes Peter Tatchell are the real anti white & anti British racist bigots.......And Tatchell being one of the group says it all doesn't?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Catman wrote:Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk - Page 2 Peter-Tatchell
Peter Tatchell: 'David Cameron is mistaken'

Peter Tatchell says the Prime Minister is wrong to view Britain as “a Christian country”, and that the Church of England is “far from being the repository of great moral virtue and leadership” due to its equal marriage opposition.

David Cameron is mistaken when he says “Britain is a Christian country” and that we should be “evangelical” about Christianity.

That’s why I joined over 50 prominent writers, scientists and academics to sign a critical letter to the Prime Minister. The letter was organised by the British Humanist Association.

We acknowledge that Christians make a contribution to UK society but so do people of other faiths and no faith.

It is wrong for David Cameron to single out Christians for special praise, to offer them privileged access to Downing Street and to support an expanded role for Christian groups in providing essential public services.

He’s also misguided to suggest Britain should be evangelise Christianity. This sounds like proselytising. It makes him comes across as partisan, favouring one faith over all others.

Britain was once a mostly Christian nation but no more.

A YouGov poll in 2011 asked: Are you religious? Only 29% said yes (and many of these belonged to non-Christian faiths). 65% said no.

The 2011 census asked a rather leading question on religion and got a different result. 59% said they were Christian. But most of these identify as Christian culturally, not religiously.

Moreover, this is a big drop from the previous census in 2001, when 72% identified as Christian – a loss of 4.1 million people claiming Christian adherence.

Ticking a box on a census form is easy. It is not the same as actually practising Christianity. It is religious practice, not tick boxing, that’s the real test of whether we are still a Christian country.

In fact, only 7% of the population are practising Christians. A mere 2% go to church on Sunday. The number of practising Muslims in the UK is now almost as great as the number of practising Christians – around 2 million versus 2.5 million.

In addition, Christian anniversaries like Easter and Christmas are not celebrated by most people as religious festivals. They are just holidays like any other holiday – mostly an excuse for a lie-in, shopping, watching football and other non-religious indulgences. The vast majority of people don’t pray or go to church on these occasions.

For all these reasons, by no stretch of the imagination can Britain be said to be a Christian country.

Britain is, in fact, a multifaith and no faith society. Christians are just one part of our plural, diverse culture. It is best for everyone, including people of faith, if the state is neutral on matters of religion; not favouring or privileging one religion over others. This way there is a level playing field for people of all faiths and none.

The idea the Britain has always been Christian is untrue. Humans have been in the British Isles for around 40,000 years. Christianity has been here for less than 2,000 years – a small fraction of British history.

Far from being the repository of great moral virtue and leadership, as David Cameron has suggested, the social and political influence of many Christians has been often malign. In feudal times, the churches supported the tyranny of absolute monarchs – and later slavery and colonialism. They opposed votes for women and gay equality. Indeed, only last year they fought an intolerant, bigoted campaign to retain homophobic discrimination and prevent same-sex couples getting married.

Some Christians have been very good on issues like poverty, welfare reform and justice for poorer countries. But many non-Christians have also been good on these issues. Commendable humanitarian organisations like the Child Poverty Action Group, War on Want and Amnesty International include people of all faiths and none.

Some of my critics claim that I and other humanists persecute Christians. Not true. On free speech grounds, I have been vocal in opposing the criminalisation and prosecution of Christian street preachers, such as Harry Hammond and Dale McAlpine – despite their homophobia – even offering to testify in their defence in court. I’ve also been involved in campaigns defending persecuted Christians in countries like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

We humanists believe that freedom of religion – and non-religion – is a fundamental human right.

Peter Tatchell is director of the London-based human rights organisation, the Peter Tatchell Foundation, and coordinator of the Equal Love campaign.

This article was first published in The Huffington Post.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/04/23/peter-tatchell-it-is-wrong-for-david-cameron-to-single-out-Christians-for-special-praise/

When the age of consent for homosexuals was lowered to 16, an Outrage (Tatchell’s organization) banner said “16 is just a start” – it didn’t state what the end goal was.

Mr Tatchell criticises the age of consent laws. Here is a quotation from his own website:

“Nevertheless, like any minimum age, it is arbitrary and fails to acknowledge that different people mature sexually at different ages. A few are ready for sex at 12; others not until they’re 20. Having a single, inflexible age of consent doesn’t take into account these differences. It dogmatically imposes a limit, regardless of individual circumstances“.

Peter Tatchell wrote the chapter “Questioning Ages of Majority and Ages of Consent” for a book openly advocating paedophilia and finding ways “to make paedophilia acceptable“.

...So Tatchell appears to be a paedophile....Are you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Christ on a bike  Laughing 

Just had a quick look at flop and the debate on this subject is just a load of the usual RWhingers moaning about this place, and various LW posters  Laughing

All i can say is Woof! Woof! Boo! Hoo! Laughing  

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Cameron needs to get back on track and start supporting the Muslims, Jews and hindu's again.

This support for Christians just isn't right!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:09 pm

Catman wrote:Christ on a bike  Laughing 

Just had a quick look at flop and the debate on this subject is just a load of the usual RWhingers moaning about this place, and various LW posters  Laughing

All i can say is Woof! Woof! Boo! Hoo! Laughing  

But you support Tatchell who supports paedophiles.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:39 pm

DC is quite correct in what he says. Our History is our history and we should be able to stand up with heads held high and be proud instead of taking the Ostrich stance. Muslims are proud to Muslims, Jews and Hindus and Buddists so the difference is what.......Except he is a politician, the leader of our Country. The head of our Country is The Queen and holds the title 'Defender of the Faith and Supreme Governor of the Church of England'.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:48 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Cameron needs to get back on track and start supporting the Muslims, Jews and hindu's again.

are you being facetious Andy  lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:Cameron needs to get back on track and start supporting the Muslims, Jews and hindu's again.

are you being facetious Andy  lol! 

Is that the posh way of saying talking Poo poos ? flower 
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Why can't he support them all?

Why does everyone seem intent on seeing division everywhere?

Britain is a multicultural tolerant nation,or at least it WAS,and its sad that what was a nation to be proud of i s becoming seemingly tainted by bigotry.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:58 pm

It's fairly bigoted to criticise Mr Cameron for expressing his personal views regarding Christianity.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's fairly bigoted to criticise Mr Cameron for expressing his personal views regarding Christianity.

..but he offends others with his views, he is bigoted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 pm

Joy Division wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:It's fairly bigoted to criticise Mr Cameron for expressing his personal views regarding Christianity.

..but he offends others with his views, he is bigoted.

You're the bigot because you are intolerant of his views.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:

Britain is a multicultural tolerant nation,or at least it WAS,and its sad that what was a nation to be proud of i s becoming seemingly tainted by bigotry.

disagree with you .Multicurlturalism was forced upon us to strip us of our identity .

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:07 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

disagree with you .Multicurlturalism was forced upon us to strip us of our identity .

Heaven help us, ninety nine hale maries and three blessed whatsits............the wholey tights thingy ma gig

I bleedin' blood8 ag8**

::rfth:: 

gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2