NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk

+3
eddie
Ben Reilly
Raggamuffin
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk Empty Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:20 pm

LONDON (Reuters) - A group of scientists, academics and prominent writers accused Prime Minister David Cameron on Monday of stoking sectarian divisions through his repeated description of Britain as a "Christian country".

The public figures, including authors Philip Pullman and Terry Pratchett, said they respected the Conservative leader's own religious beliefs, which he has addressed in a series of statements.

But they took issue with his characterisation of Britain saying, in a letter to the Daily Telegraph, the country was actually a "plural society" of largely "non-religious" people.

"To constantly claim otherwise fosters alienation and division in our society," said the 55 members of the group that also included Nobel prize winning scientist John Sulston.

"It needlessly fuels enervating sectarian debates that are by and large absent from the lives of most British people, who do not want religions or religious identities to be actively prioritised by their elected government," the letter added.

The 2011 census showed Christianity was the largest religion in England and Wales but the number of people who described themselves as Christian had fallen from almost 72 percent in 2001 to just over 59 percent, or 33.2 million people.

About 14 million people said they had no religion.

Cameron told an Easter reception this month he was "proud to be a Christian myself and to have my children at a church school".

In an article in the Church Times last week, he described himself as "a member of the Church of England, and, I suspect, a rather classic one: not that regular in attendance, and a bit vague on some of the more difficult parts of the faith".

Britain, he added, should be more confident about its status as a Christian country and more evangelical.

Cameron's comments follow a period of tension between the Church of England and the Conservative party, the major partner in Britain's coalition government that faces a parliamentary election next year.

Church leaders have joined forces to criticise welfare reforms and the rising use of free food banks across Britain.

Cameron also angered some Christians - and caused deep splits in the Conservative party - as he drove new legislation through parliament to allow same-sex marriages in Britain.

A spokeswoman for Cameron said the prime minister's view that Britain should not be afraid to call itself a Christian country did not mean he felt it was wrong to have another faith, or no faith.

"He has said on many occasions that he is incredibly proud that Britain is home to many different faith communities, who do so much to make the UK a stronger country," she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/british-pm-accused-fuelling-division-Christian-talk-125209926.html

Cameron is an idiot.
He and the other Christian shits need to learn that this is a secular country first and foremost.

Back to top Go down

Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk Empty Re: Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Oh look, another Christian-bashing thread.

If people want to this to be a Christian country, they are entitled to say so, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk Empty Re: Cameron accused of fuelling division with Christian talk

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Oh look, another Christian-bashing thread.

If people want to this to be a Christian country, they are entitled to say so, and there's nothing you can do about it.

You seem awfully sensitive about this -- I think this story is more like Cameron using Christianity as a weapon or a wedge, rather than Christianity itself being bashed.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

You seem awfully sensitive about this -- I think this story is more like Cameron using Christianity as a weapon or a wedge, rather than Christianity itself being bashed.

Sensitive? How can you miss Catman's agenda on this forum?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:28 pm

My, how you keep on proving what a nasty little control freak you are, i bet you wish that you had the power to control what the media print. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Catman wrote:

My, how you keep on proving what a nasty little control freak you are, i bet you wish that you had the power to control what the media print. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

I bet you wish you had to power to scrounge even more money from the State.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Catman wrote:

Can someone ask catman why Christians are shits but Muslims and Jews and other religions are not?

I'd ask him, but he has me on ignore as he can't handle my logic tbf.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

You and a couple of other far RWhingers on here, are really showing your Fascist agenda's on here.
 Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Catman wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You and a couple of other far RWhingers on here, are really showing your Fascist agenda's on here.
 Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Poor you.  Laughing 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:31 pm

eddie wrote:
Catman wrote:

Can someone ask catman why Christians are shits but Muslims and Jews and other religions are not?

Perhaps Ben could ask him.

Oh wait - he thinks they're shits too.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Hello Phil

Please stop calling Christians shits as someone else saying Gay shits will not be tolerated here and rightly so.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

So perhaps it is only fair that we use the same language about anyone we like?
I personally, have no problem with name-calling, but catman has squealed like a little shit about all,the names he's been called, and never once heard him call any other religious person a "shit"

Just saying.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

Does he?
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

So perhaps it is only fair that we use the same language about anyone we like?
I personally, have no problem with name-calling, but catman has squealed like a little shit about all,the names he's been called, and never once heard him call any other religious person a "shit"

Just saying.

Well he's just a little shit basically.  Razz 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:Hello Phil

Please stop calling Christians shits as someone else saying Gay shits will not be tolerated here and rightly so.

There you go!
The voice of fairness and reason.

Evening SM I hope you're well x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Does he?

That is certainly the impression I get.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:37 pm

It would be, there has been homophobic language used on here quite recently actually and no one said anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Catman wrote:

It would be, there has been homophobic language used on here quite recently actually.

Then report it Phil because what you are doing is generalising millions of people and that isnt fair.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:39 pm

eddie wrote:

There you go!
The voice of fairness and reason.

Evening SM I hope you're well x

Evening Eddie yes thanks xx
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:41 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Catman wrote:

It would be, there has been homophobic language used on here quite recently actually.

Then report it Phil because what you are doing is generalising millions of people and that isnt fair.

He will deliberately miss your point.
I would save my breath.

How's your little niece? She's about the same age as my Jas isn't she? Xx
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:43 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Catman wrote:

The use of the word 'shits' isn't against the rules as far as i can gather, people are very selective on here, especially if the person using the offensive language is part of their 'clique' then they go very silent and are very hypocritical.
Drinky was banned for using some very offensive language on here, but some hypocrites jumped to his defence and even started threads ordering his reinstatement, such people are best ignored imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 pm

eddie wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

I would save my breath.

She turned 2 in Jan. she is a little devil lol! She loves the camera eddie and posses all the time!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 pm

Bring back Drinky!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:46 pm

Catman wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

The use of the word 'shits' isn't against the rules as far as i can gather, people are very selective on here, especially if the person using the offensive language is part of their 'clique' then they go very silent and are very hypocritical.
Drinky was banned for using some very offensive language on here, but some hypocrites jumped to his defence and even started threads ordering his reinstatement, such people are best ignored imo.

You dont understand Phil.

You should never generalize and thats the point im trying to make. If you have an issue with one poster than cuss them not their gender, religion etc.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Catman wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

So you're happy if I post about "gay shits"?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:50 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Catman wrote:

You should never generalize and thats the point im trying to make. If you have an issue with one poster than cuss them not their gender, religion etc.

If the people that kept complaining over this issue applied the same rules to themselves and their cliques then of course you would have a very valid point to make SM.
They don't though, and really they are an ignorant bunch of hypocrites.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Catman wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

If the people that kept complaining over this issue applied the same rules to themselves and their cliques then of course you would have a very valid point to make SM.

You cant change others Phil only yourself.

SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:56 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Catman wrote:

Sorry SM, but if the complainants can't apply the rules to themselves, and the ones that they fawn over etc...
...Then they can fuck right off as far as i'm concerned.  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Catman wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Sorry SM, but if the complainants can't apply the rules to themselves, and the ones that they fawn over etc...

Sorry Phil but then you are acting just as bad as others are.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:01 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Catman wrote:

Sorry Phil but then you are acting just as bad as others are.

That's true SM  ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:19 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
eddie wrote:

I would save my breath.

She turned 2 in Jan. she is a little devil lol! She loves the camera eddie and posses all the time!

HAHAHAHAHA jas has a smile she does for the camera! It's more like a grimace lol
Ah they're so cute at this age  I love you 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:19 pm

eddie wrote:
Catman wrote:

scatman

eddie has a question for you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Catman wrote:LONDON (Reuters) - A group of scientists, academics and prominent writers accused Prime Minister David Cameron on Monday of stoking sectarian divisions through his repeated description of Britain as a "Christian country".

The public figures, including authors Philip Pullman and Terry Pratchett, said they respected the Conservative leader's own religious beliefs, which he has addressed in a series of statements.

But they took issue with his characterisation of Britain saying, in a letter to the Daily Telegraph, the country was actually a "plural society" of largely "non-religious" people.

"To constantly claim otherwise fosters alienation and division in our society," said the 55 members of the group that also included Nobel prize winning scientist John Sulston.

"It needlessly fuels enervating sectarian debates that are by and large absent from the lives of most British people, who do not want religions or religious identities to be actively prioritised by their elected government," the letter added.

The 2011 census showed Christianity was the largest religion in England and Wales but the number of people who described themselves as Christian had fallen from almost 72 percent in 2001 to just over 59 percent, or 33.2 million people.

Cameron told an Easter reception this month he was "proud to be a Christian myself and to have my children at a church school".

In an article in the Church Times last week, he described himself as "a member of the Church of England, and, I suspect, a rather classic one: not that regular in attendance, and a bit vague on some of the more difficult parts of the faith".

Britain, he added, should be more confident about its status as a Christian country and more evangelical.

Cameron's comments follow a period of tension between the Church of England and the Conservative party, the major partner in Britain's coalition government that faces a parliamentary election next year.

Church leaders have joined forces to criticise welfare reforms and the rising use of free food banks across Britain.

Cameron also angered some Christians - and caused deep splits in the Conservative party - as he drove new legislation through parliament to allow same-sex marriages in Britain.

A spokeswoman for Cameron said the prime minister's view that Britain should not be afraid to call itself a Christian country did not mean he felt it was wrong to have another faith, or no faith.

"He has said on many occasions that he is incredibly proud that Britain is home to many different faith communities, who do so much to make the UK a stronger country," she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/british-pm-accused-fuelling-division-Christian-talk-125209926.html

Cameron is an idiot.
He and the other Christian shits need to learn that this is a secular country first and foremost.

i was going to vote UKIP but after this i might just have to vote tory

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Catman wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Hahahaha silly little numpty.
I started a thread asking why he got banned.
I'm quite glad you're ignoring me, I get to call you a silly little wanker and you can't say anything about it  ::sexbnan: 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:22 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
eddie wrote:

scatman

Fuck off you fascist piece of shit.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:23 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
eddie wrote:

scatman

He's ignoring me smelly.
I'm not sure I'm all that bothered. Being a friend of Phil's is thankless, hard and unrewarding.

He can't argue with me either, he's not smart enough  Razz 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:23 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
Catman wrote:LONDON (Reuters) - A group of scientists, academics and prominent writers accused Prime Minister David Cameron on Monday of stoking sectarian divisions through his repeated description of Britain as a "Christian country".

Cameron is an idiot.

i was going to vote UKIP but after this i might just have to vote tory

Yea....UKIP is riddled with scum like you.

::zomb:: ::zomb:: ::zomb:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 pm

eddie wrote:
Catman wrote:

Can we also ask whyI he didnt have a hissy fit over tony Blairs much publicised conversion to Catholicism??

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:17 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Does he?

we think they're stupid but some can be nice people  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz they are fun to tease regardless  pirat  pirat 

but mind you I think it is fair enough to dislike anyone saying you are going to get tortured for all eternity  tongue  Christians by definition are offensive, You cant tell everyone that if they don't follow you they are going to be tortured forever with out accepting THAT is offensive to everyone deciding NOT to believe your book of fairytales.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:24 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

we think they're stupid but some can be nice people  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz they are fun to tease regardless  pirat  pirat 

but mind you I think it is fair enough to dislike anyone saying you are going to get tortured for all eternity  tongue  Christians by definition are offensive, You cant tell everyone that if they don't follow you they are going to be tortured forever with out accepting THAT is offensive to everyone deciding NOT to believe your book of fairytales.

Christians tend to have a holier than thou attitude, certainly is this country, they continue to think that they are above our secular laws, and continue to try to discriminate.
It grates, but atleast we are allowed to post news stories etc, to demonstrate their hypocrisy etc... Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:26 am

....Oh, and to put their hypocrisy's up for discussion of course!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:20 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

So you think all Christians are stupid then? That's generalising is it not?

If I generalise about any group of people, I hope you won't make an issue of it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am

Catman wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

scatman

youre mistaken there

im the RACIST piece of shit

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:13 am

I don't know why David Cameron is commenting on religion,it's a foolish idea and will divide people and have people turn against him who may have voted for him.As a rule politicians should just avoid telling people what to do with regards to religion,it is  a deeply personal issue and it will always come across as arrogant.

Oh he's not telling people what to do,he is claiming the UK is a Christian country,I see.I think he is trying to win back the bigoted middle england vote he alienated with the gay marriage legislation (which btw I think is the only decent Tory policy I have ever witnessed)

Its too late Dave,the bigots will vote for UKIP and will never forgive you.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

If I generalise about any group of people, I hope you won't make an issue of it.

if you have a logical reason behind it Suspect 

what makes a Christian?
they Truly believe in a Stupid fairytale ....... that would logically make them stupid  tongue 

if they didn't believe in something stupid they wouldn't be stupid, All monotheists are stupid and so are a bunch of polytheists and non-theists, anyone that claims to be so certain of the divine they can put it in a book is stupid tongue tongue tongue tongue 

Also Some may have a problem with generalising, but My problem is with things that are illogical or false, and a lot of generalisations just happen to be that.  :::grouch:: :::grouch:: :::grouch:: 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
Catman wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

scatman

youre mistaken there

im the RACIST piece of shit  

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 
Ahh Smelly Gotta love you
 pirat pirat pirat pirat pirat pirat pirat 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:29 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

if you have a logical reason behind it  Suspect 

what makes a Christian?
they Truly believe in a Stupid fairytale ....... that would logically make them stupid  tongue 

if they didn't believe in something stupid they wouldn't be stupid, All monotheists are stupid and so are a bunch of polytheists and non-theists, anyone that claims to be so certain of the divine they can put it in a book is stupid tongue tongue tongue tongue 

Also Some may have a problem with generalising, but My problem is with things that are illogical or false, and a lot of generalisations just happen to be that.  :::grouch:: :::grouch:: :::grouch:: 

I suspect that your stupidity surpasses that of any Christian, or indeed anyone else's stupidy.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:58 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

if you have a logical reason behind it  Suspect 

what makes a Christian?

I suspect that your stupidity surpasses that of any Christian, or indeed anyone else's stupidy.

whatever  :asboredas: 

Considering I was picked for accelerated education as a 12 year old, I am pretty confident I am of above average intelligence. And I have a very good education thanks largely to that :::grouch::  much better than my parents could have afforded.

You just don't like that I can give logical reason behind the insult  geek while so many of yours are mindless  ::roglol:: 

::hndbg::  just playing, you're not too bad Raggs  geek  better than many a Christian I have meet before  geek  but without GIG and VOD to tease what are we to do  ::dunno:: 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:54 am

Yeah, if Veya's stupid I'm a slobbering idiot -- and I don't slobber, I stopped doing that several years ago. Raggs, you shouldn't take things so personally.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:44 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

whatever  :asboredas: 

Considering I was picked for accelerated education as a 12 year old, I am pretty confident I am of above average intelligence. And I have a very good education thanks largely to that :::grouch::  much better than my parents could have afforded.

You just don't like that I can give logical reason behind the insult  geek while so many of yours are mindless  ::roglol:: 

::hndbg::  just playing, you're not too bad Raggs  geek  better than many a Christian I have meet before  geek  but without GIG and VOD to tease what are we to do   ::dunno:: 

I'll let you have the typo.  Razz 

I bet I have a better education than you though - so there!  Razz 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next