NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ridiculous question...

3 posters

Go down

Ridiculous question... Empty Ridiculous question...

Post by Guest Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 pm

But I'll ask it for the hell of it, you never know, someone may say 'yes'...

..a few years back the wife bought me a film called ' The Lottery'(shite acting), and perhaps a nonsense storyline, but also thought provoking too...

In short .....

On his deathbed in the hospital, Jason's father asks that his ashes be spread over the top of his wife's grave. Jason, who came to the city with his father at a young age, remembers little of the town or his mother, but he undertakes the charge. It is an idyllic place, but gradually snips of memory return, until he remembers the significance of the fact that most of the tombstones in the town cemetery, including his mothers, bear the same day and month, one death each year. Caught up in the memory of the lottery he saw as a child, and the one he is trapped in today, escape is difficult and retribution is...

The end storyline is that each summer the villagers hold a lottery with a difference, whoever draws the ' winning ' ticket will be stoned to death by the rest of the villagers, to keep the peace and tranquility in the village....it's the price that is paid to have such a crime free village.

Would any of you guys ever considering such drastic action to guarantee yourself a crime free environment?...

Now, please...before you start saying ' oh JD you big hunky bastard , it's a ridiculously stupid question of ever I've heard one' ....yes, I KNOW!!! ...and that is why I ask it!!

But anyway, has anyone else ever seen this film?, very bizarre!

Back to top Go down

Ridiculous question... Empty Re: Ridiculous question...

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:01 am

I think that's based on the old Shirley Jackson short story, though if I remember correctly, in the story version of it, they only had the lottery because they'd ALWAYS had the lottery, so it was a commentary on how some people feel traditions are so important that they keep them up even if they're horrible.

Interesting twist that the movie seems to be making -- the age-old conflict between individual liberty and collective safety ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:12 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:I think that's based on the old Shirley Jackson short story, though if I remember correctly, in the story version of it, they only had the lottery because they'd ALWAYS had the lottery, so it was a commentary on how some people feel traditions are so important that they keep them up even if they're horrible.

Interesting twist that the movie seems to be making -- the age-old conflict between individual liberty and collective safety ...

That's it Ben!...they highlight the tradition part...even with such a jovial attitude!,

Did you see the first version then Ben?..the Shirley Jackson version ??

I e never seen that one , but I did like the 1996 version which Kerri Russell was In, as I say...some terrible acting, but the storyline was quite freaky...I thought it was a great film tbh Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 am

Yes, I've seen it - it's a bit creepy really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:17 am

Joy Division wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:I think that's based on the old Shirley Jackson short story, though if I remember correctly, in the story version of it, they only had the lottery because they'd ALWAYS had the lottery, so it was a commentary on how some people feel traditions are so important that they keep them up even if they're horrible.

That's it Ben!...they highlight the tradition part...even with such a jovial attitude!,

I e never seen that one , but I did like the 1996 version which Kerri Russell was In, as I say...some terrible acting, but the storyline was quite freaky...I thought it was a great film tbh Smile

Haven't seen it -- we actually were assigned to read the short story back in school over here Smile

I imagine in an attempt to flesh it out to movie length they added some lousy new plot points (I'm looking at you, Lorax Movie!), but the Jackson original is pretty classic Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:17 am

this and that newer American one (the purge?) that came out last year..... silly

why would crime stop the next day? I aint waiting a year for revenge  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:33 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Yes, I've seen it - it's a bit creepy really.

It is Rags, but you were still gripped by it ? Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:34 am

veya_victaous wrote:this and that newer American one (the purge?) that came out last year..... silly

why would crime stop the next day? I aint waiting a year for revenge  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I'll have to see that one Veya...I now have the P-urge to see it!! Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:35 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Haven't seen it -- we actually were assigned to read the short story back in school over here Smile

I imagine in an attempt to flesh it out to movie length they added some lousy new plot points (I'm looking at you, Lorax Movie!), but the Jackson original is pretty classic Smile

Hey, my young lass was given this story in school too!..and her teacher was amazed we had it to show the class!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down