NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peter Tatchell becomes a patron of anti-hate crime Muslim campaign group

Go down

Peter Tatchell becomes a patron of anti-hate crime Muslim campaign group Empty Peter Tatchell becomes a patron of anti-hate crime Muslim campaign group

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Peter Tatchell becomes a patron of anti-hate crime Muslim campaign group Peter-Tatchell-3-e1395317567767

Peter Tatchell: 'I am honoured to become a patron of Tell Mama'

Human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell has been made a patron of the Muslim anti-hate crime campaign group, Tell Mama.

He is one of the first openly gay persons appointed to a senior role in a mainstream, non-gay Muslim organisation.

Tell Mama maps, measures and monitors anti-Muslim prejudice and supports victims of anti-Muslim hatred.

Director of Tell Mama, Fiyaz Mughal, said: “Peter has been a beacon for human rights for over four decades.

“He campaigns wholeheartedly against all forms of intolerance and discrimination, as do we, including anti-Muslim prejudice, homophobia, and anti-Semitism.

“He is an outstanding excellent addition to the Tell Mama fold and we are proud to be associated with him.”

Commenting on his appointment, Peter Tatchell said: “I am honoured to become a patron of Tell Mama, which does vital work monitoring, reporting and countering anti-Muslim prejudice, discrimination and hate crime – and supporting the victims.

“I hope that by taking up this position I can help build bridges between the Muslim and LGBT communities. We share a similar experience of intolerance and victimisation. I want to see us working together for our common good, so that we can live together in a society without hatred, discrimination and violence.

“With the rise of anti-Muslim hate groups like the British National Party (BNP) and English Defence League (EDL), the work of Tell Mama is more important than ever.

“While the tiny minority of Islamist extremists – and fanatics from all faiths and none – must be challenged, we also need to challenge the unjustified demonisation of the general Muslim population.”

He added: “Freedom of religious and non-religious beliefs are fundamental human rights that we must defend and promote. Tell Mama does just that: it takes a stand against hate, in defence of Muslim people. My admiration and congratulations.”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/03/20/peter-tatchell-becomes-patron-anti-hate-crime-muslim-campaign-group/

cheers cheers cheers 

Back to top Go down

Peter Tatchell becomes a patron of anti-hate crime Muslim campaign group Empty Re: Peter Tatchell becomes a patron of anti-hate crime Muslim campaign group

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:34 pm

This is a serious question catman so please do not go hysterical on me.

What is he going to do when he has to deal with Gays prejudiced against Muslims or Muslims prejudiced against Gays?

Back to top Go down

Peter Tatchell becomes a patron of anti-hate crime Muslim campaign group Empty Re: Peter Tatchell becomes a patron of anti-hate crime Muslim campaign group

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:39 pm

sphinx wrote:This is a serious question catman so please do not go hysterical on me.  

What is he going to do when he has to deal with Gays prejudiced against Muslims or Muslims prejudiced against Gays?

He says in the article that he wants to build bridges between Muslims and gays, of course there will be some that won't be interested in that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Catman wrote:
sphinx wrote:This is a serious question catman so please do not go hysterical on me.  

He says in the article that he wants to build bridges between Muslims and gays, of course there will be some that won't be interested in that.

I know what he said but how is he going to actually handle it when he has a gay person on one side whose partner is lying in hospital badly beaten by Muslims and on his other side a devout Muslim telling him that it is impossible for a devout person to accept homosexuality. How on earth is he going to build that bridge?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:59 pm

didn't he get his ass kicked by Muslims for being islamophobic ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:00 pm

sphinx wrote:
Catman wrote:

I know what he said but how is he going to actually handle it when he has a gay person on one side whose partner is lying in hospital badly beaten by Muslims and on his other side a devout Muslim telling him that it is impossible for a devout person to accept homosexuality.  How on earth is he going to build that bridge?

No idea.
You would have to ask the organisation, or Peter himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Catman wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I know what he said but how is he going to actually handle it when he has a gay person on one side whose partner is lying in hospital badly beaten by Muslims and on his other side a devout Muslim telling him that it is impossible for a devout person to accept homosexuality.  How on earth is he going to build that bridge?

No idea.

Alright then is it a role you think you could take and how would do you think that situation could be handled?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:32 pm

sphinx wrote:
Catman wrote:

No idea.

Alright then is it a role you think you could take and how would do you think that situation could be handled?

I wouldn't be up to the role and i don't know how the situation could be handled.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Does it not strike you as odd that a man known for fighting for gay rights would take up a position to fight for the rights of a group known for its objections to gays?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Actually no, I would call it a very good thing that different groups fighting for the rights of abused minorities band together. I think it's a very positive move and will help people understand each other.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:40 pm

sphinx wrote:Does it not strike you as odd that a man known for fighting for gay rights would take up a position to fight for the rights of a group known for its objections to gays?

it isnt about gay rights

its about "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

peado petes enemy is anyone he considers RW

he sees the RW as the enemy of Muslims

therefore he thinks Muslim will side with him against the RW

they will, and then they will string him up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:41 pm

sphinx wrote:Does it not strike you as odd that a man known for fighting for gay rights would take up a position to fight for the rights of a group known for its objections to gays?

No, because he's a human rights campaigner. Do you take the BNP position that all Muslims hate gay people then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Catman wrote:

No, because he's a human rights campaigner. Do you take the BNP position that all Muslims hate gay people then?

No I take the same position as I do regards catholics namely that the majority of regularly practising members of the faith are going to have issues with the subject due to the long history of doctrine.

Do you accept that any Muslim has the right to oppose homosexuality because they believe it is wrong?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:48 pm

sphinx wrote:
Catman wrote:

No I take the same position as I do regards catholics namely that the majority of regularly practising members of the faith are going to have issues with the subject due to the long history of doctrine.

Do you accept that any Muslim has the right to oppose homosexuality because they believe it is wrong?

So long as they keep their opinions to themselves, same as all religions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:49 pm

sphinx wrote:
Catman wrote:

Don't you think there might be a large number of practicing muslims who have been struggling with the fact they are gay, who would welcome this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Catman wrote:
sphinx wrote:

So long as they keep their opinions to themselves, same as all religions.

so you're saying that anyone who wants to oppose homosexuality has to do it in private

thats hardly opposition now is it??

essentially you're saying that no one is allowed to express an opinion that is contrary to homosexuality

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Sassy wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Don't you think there might be a large number of practicing muslims who have been struggling with the fact they are gay, who would welcome this?

And if Tatchell was heading an organization for the support of gay Muslims I would have no questions - I am questioning the bit about him heading an organization for ordinary muslims where he is bound to come across the faith versus sexuality issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down