NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"It Aint Half Hot Mum" Can Never Be Shown On TV Again - Too Politically Incorrect

4 posters

Go down

"It Aint Half Hot Mum" Can Never Be Shown On TV Again - Too Politically Incorrect Empty "It Aint Half Hot Mum" Can Never Be Shown On TV Again - Too Politically Incorrect

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:36 am

18th March 2014

Here’s a funny thing, though it might not make you laugh.

Dad’s Army, the show I created and co-wrote with David Croft, is repeated every Saturday and gets audiences of 2.2 million.

But my favourite sitcom of all, the one that recaptures the most extraordinary era of my life, will never be screened again.

It Ain’t Half Hot Mum has been deemed by the BBC too politically incorrect and even racist to be repeated.

I believe it’s equally as funny as Dad’s Army, and full of characters just as memorable — the blustering sergeant-major, the camp drag artiste and the Indian orderly who was more British than the Brits.

The comedy — about a Royal Artillery concert party stationed in India in the last months of World War II — was ribald and often farcical, but anyone who has served in the Armed Forces knows that is exactly what it’s like.

Like all the shows David Croft and I wrote together — including Hi-de-Hi!, set in a Fifties holiday camp, and the upstairs downstairs comedy You Rang, M’Lord? — this was deeply rooted in reality.

And that’s the problem. Too many executives at the BBC have rather too little idea what reality looks like.

They are Oxbridge graduates trained by other Oxbridge graduates who learnt what they know from still more Oxbridge graduates. The real world doesn’t get a look-in at today’s BBC.

I’m 90 and my generation, by contrast, had about as much reality as anyone could wish for. During World War II, I joined the Home Guard: it was 1941 and I was the 16-year-old original of Private Pike.

Two years later, I was conscripted into the Royal Artillery as a gunner. In 1944, I was sent to Burma, where I spent four months manning a gun battery, before I was sent to Deolali, near Mumbai, and joined the concert party. We didn’t call it Deolali in those days — it was Doolally!

Like the characters in our sitcom, I was a gunner, and the standing joke was that maybe one day we were ‘gunner get home’.

They didn’t tell us until the war was over that there was no chance of that happening any time soon: with millions of troops in India and south-east Asia, and only a small fleet of troopships, getting back to Blighty was a long, slow business.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2583111/It-aint-half-daft-BBC-ban-racist-Dads-Army-creator-JIMMY-PERRY-BBCs-refusal-repeats-greatest-hits.html#ixzz2wIkydADy

Back to top Go down

"It Aint Half Hot Mum" Can Never Be Shown On TV Again - Too Politically Incorrect Empty Re: "It Aint Half Hot Mum" Can Never Be Shown On TV Again - Too Politically Incorrect

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:20 pm

People should listen to this man - he has a wisdom that comes from real life.

Back to top Go down

"It Aint Half Hot Mum" Can Never Be Shown On TV Again - Too Politically Incorrect Empty Re: "It Aint Half Hot Mum" Can Never Be Shown On TV Again - Too Politically Incorrect

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:34 pm

i never really watch 'it aint half hot mum' my parents loved it but i didn't find it very funny at all .

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:42 pm

I liked it. I thought the char wallah was quite attractive.  ::D:: 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:46 pm

it was really funny, the one wearing the turban with a snake belt round it was hilarious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:48 pm

I think like any sit com it would be funny to people who had experienced the situation being depicted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:20 pm

what do you think people would make of al jolson these days

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Andy Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:38 pm

It was a brilliantly written and acted farce. Of course the characters were ott - that was the point and it made it all the funner.
Windsor Davies "Look out boyo!"
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:44 pm

The thing is like the writer said it was based on real happenings - the world has changed but that does not make it racist to look at old entertainment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I liked it. I thought the char wallah was quite attractive.  ::D:: 

To be fair i never really watched an episode all the way through so i cannot really say , maybe i should watch them on youtube and i will post back what i think

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/It-Aint-Half-Hot-Mum/dp/B000I2JS58

Problem solved.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:41 pm

VOD(original) wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I liked it. I thought the char wallah was quite attractive.  ::D:: 

To be fair i never really watched an episode all the way through so i cannot really say , maybe i should watch them on youtube and i will post back what i think

There was some rather unPC language in it I guess, like "poofs", but I don't think that made anyone hate gay people.

There were constant references to "fuzzy wuzzies" in Dad's Army too, and nobody seemed to mind that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
VOD(original) wrote:

There was some rather unPC language in it I guess, like "poofs", but I don't think that made anyone hate gay people.

There were constant references to "fuzzy wuzzies" in Dad's Army too, and nobody seemed to mind that.

just watching it first episode laughing at Don Estelle's shorts  ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:45 pm

VOD(original) wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

just watching it first episode laughing at Don Estelle's shorts  ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: 

I know! Bless him!  Razz 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Just watched the first episode i thought it was very very funny Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down