NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mythopedia: The Website To Debunk Right-Wing Lies

+3
Fred
Ben Reilly
Lurker
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mythopedia: The Website To Debunk Right-Wing Lies - Page 2 Empty Mythopedia: The Website To Debunk Right-Wing Lies

Post by Lurker Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

The day before the right-wing world descended on Washington, D.C. to spew propaganda at the Conservative Political Action Conference, a media watchdog site set up a tool to counter those lies. Media Matters launched Mythopedia, an online database of right-wing lies and real truth about issues ranging from Don’t Ask Don’t Tell to what caused the BP oil spill.

Users can type in a query about any claim to see whether it’s a conservative lie.

Currently, there are some 400 entries. Soon, it may turn into a Wikipedia-style site, where highly involved users submit their own entries, with the Media Matters staff fact-checking them. But for now, anybody can submit a tip.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/mythopedia-website-debunk-right-wing-lies
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Mythopedia: The Website To Debunk Right-Wing Lies - Page 2 Empty Re: Mythopedia: The Website To Debunk Right-Wing Lies

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Personally I think there are massive differences between the US perception of left and right and the UK perception.

I mean in the UK Labour are supposed to be Left but there were the ones with a leader becoming a Catholic.

Back to top Go down

Mythopedia: The Website To Debunk Right-Wing Lies - Page 2 Empty Re: Mythopedia: The Website To Debunk Right-Wing Lies

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:04 pm

sphinx wrote:Personally I think there are massive differences between the US perception of left and right and the UK perception.

I mean in the UK Labour are supposed to be Left but  there were the ones with a leader becoming a Catholic.

If your talking about Blair, he only became a Catholic after leaving office though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Joy Division wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:I like the way you think, Benji!    Twisted Evil 

...so do I Andy and he can see things just as they are, RW being liars, cheats,racists,corrupt and selfish..

I agree , Ben calls it just the way it is. cheers

...not too mention feminine as fcuk, I've always said it...have a skek of David Cameron and George Osborne's hands...never done a days graft, not too mention the way they talk and look...as if you hadn't noticed. Laughing 

Pair o' women.
I bet Dave even pays a foreign lackey to give him a wank. Samantha probably charges too much.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Catman wrote:
sphinx wrote:Personally I think there are massive differences between the US perception of left and right and the UK perception.

I mean in the UK Labour are supposed to be Left but  there were the ones with a leader becoming a Catholic.

If your talking about Blair, he only became a Catholic after leaving office though.

So he didnt believe in it while Prime Minister then? It all happened immediately after he left office?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:45 pm

sphinx wrote:
Catman wrote:

So he didnt believe in it while Prime Minister then?  It all happened immediately after he left office?

Honestly, who gives a shit and what does that have to do with left/right politics? Are all religious people conservatives now? Are all non-religious people liberals?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:53 pm

The rw in Britain try to depict lw'ers as something akin to the anti Christ. The more you read tawdry rags like the Scum and the Wail the more you realise they have an agenda to take Britain to a 1 party state.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

So he didnt believe in it while Prime Minister then?  It all happened immediately after he left office?

Honestly, who gives a shit and what does that have to do with left/right politics? Are all religious people conservatives now? Are all non-religious people liberals?

Someone further up thought so - I was simply replying to them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:32 pm

sphinx wrote:
Catman wrote:

He was Church Of England before, he only switched after leaving office to his wife's faith.

He did bring in the majority of the gay equality legislation, which can hardly be described as being RW, he repealed section 28, which many in UKIP would like to see the return of.  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Handy Andy wrote:The rw in Britain try to depict lw'ers as something akin to the anti Christ.  The more you read tawdry rags like the Scum and the Wail the more you realise they have an agenda to take Britain to a 1 party state.

And the EU with its 28 unelected commissioners who make "in perpetuity" rulings and which Labour that bastion of left wind democracy do not want to let people have a referendum on is what exactly?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:39 pm

sphinx wrote:
Handy Andy wrote:The rw in Britain try to depict lw'ers as something akin to the anti Christ.  The more you read tawdry rags like the Scum and the Wail the more you realise they have an agenda to take Britain to a 1 party state.

And the EU with its 28 unelected commissioners who make "in perpetuity" rulings and which Labour that bastion of left wind democracy do not want to let people have a referendum on is what exactly?

There are more important things to think about, like the cost of living crisis for instance!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Handy Andy wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

...so do I Andy and he can see things just as they are, RW being liars, cheats,racists,corrupt and selfish..

I agree , Ben calls it just the way it is. cheers

...not too mention feminine as fcuk, I've always said it...have a skek of David Cameron and George Osborne's hands...never done a days graft, not too mention the way they talk and look...as if you hadn't noticed. Laughing 

Pair o' women.
I bet Dave even pays a foreign lackey to give him a wank. Samantha probably charges too much.

..could well be George's job that...tossage the sausage  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 pm

Tess. wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Look at the way Cameron looks and talks though Tess, especially Osborne...

Why does Andy Burnham or Edd Balls not act like that?

I've always said it...Eton boys cannot govern a country or grasp poverty.

Andy Burnham went to Cambridge.  Ed Milliband and Ed Balls both went to Oxford.  Hardly working class!  Nigel Farage on the other hand never went to any university, but went to work straight from school.  So you see your stereotypes of leftwing working men v. right wing graduates aren't very accurate.

Yes Tess, they did attend good schools,but they never turned out with a silver spoon up their ass...quite a difference , one who remembers their roots and others born into money.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:01 pm

sphinx wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

...a very good post Quill, your quite right, Labour and lefties will tell it how it is, open and honest about how widespread poverty is, while the RW and Conservatives like to brush things under the carpet and pretend there is no problems in that department ...

I've always said,just like when a pawn shop opens in a city, it's a sign of poverty, and these foodbanks which have sprung up everywhere tell the same story, bit a more desperate one.

RW,Conservatives will lie about anything they choose to, it's one of their many traits they are 'famous' for.

Never trust a Tory, sleakit, sleazy, corrupt , selfish and LIARS.

Yeah you might want to read this article on what party is actually appealing to blue collar workers.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/05/left-behind-voters-only-ukip-understands

So wouldn't you say that some average working people still vote for Labour then Sphinx?..or are you itching to do a BA and claim all Labour's supporters are on benefits?...

Somebody amongst you is itching to say it....usual daily mail fed garbage.( I'm not taking about the Guardian btw).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Catman wrote:
sphinx wrote:

There are more important things to think about, like the cost of living crisis for instance!

More important?

Right 28 unelected commissioners control the EU.

They control the cost of living.

Do you think they give a shit?

What can possibly be more important than the fact that the buck stops with 28 people who nobody chose, whom nobody can remove, who can do whatever they like, and who have even less idea of the realities of life than the idiots at Westminster? (who have next to bugger all influence on what happens to people in everyday life and whose primary purpose is to make people think that the bad things happening are their (Westminsters) fault and nothing whatsoever to do with the 28 unelected commissioners)

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:10 pm

sphinx wrote:

I am no fan of the bureaucratic nature of the EU, it has moved too far away from it' s original purpose, a common market with minimal TRADE borders, with simplified (free) duty rates between members.
Should we leave?
Probably.
Csn we leave?
Almost impossible to do so.
Leaving the EU will leave us with 3 million+ EU nationality workers with no right to remain, no benefit entitlement, and will truly decimate large swathes of major industry and key areas such as transport, service industry and of course the NHS.
That isn't including all the expats who will have no divine right to remain in their domiciled EU country. Most will return to blighty unable to afford a property, jobs will only be the low paid type previously vacated and inflation will rocket. We are a net importer, goods will be dutiable and the costs will have to be met by the consumer. London will cease to be the financial hot spot it now is, that will moveback to mainland Europe.
That is just for starters.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:12 pm

Joy Division wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Yeah you might want to read this article on what party is actually appealing to blue collar workers.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/05/left-behind-voters-only-ukip-understands

So wouldn't you say that some average working people still vote for Labour then Sphinx?..or are you itching to do a BA and claim all Labour's supporters are on benefits?...

Somebody amongst you is itching to say it....usual daily mail fed garbage.( I'm not taking about the Guardian btw).

No JD I am explaining that every day more traditional workers are stopping blindly following tradition and are comparing what the parties are actually offering and coming to the conclusion that the only party listening to and acting for them is UKIP.

I am saying the ones still voting Labour are the ones who vote Labour because of tradition and history and what Labour used to stand for - the ones who ask who is offering to do what I want to see done today turn to UKIP. Think about what you would like to see done. Then see who is genuinely offering to do it today - not who offered to do it 10 , 30, 50, 100 years ago but who is trying to achieve it today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:15 pm

sphinx wrote:
Catman wrote:

More important?

What can possibly be more important than the fact that the buck stops with 28 people who nobody chose, whom nobody can remove, who can do whatever they like, and who have even less idea of the realities of life than the idiots at Westminster?  (who have next to bugger all influence on what happens to people in everyday life and whose primary purpose is to make people think that the bad things happening are their (Westminsters) fault and nothing whatsoever to do with the 28 unelected commissioners)

I think that it's more the fault of the RW, and their mouthpiece the Daily Heil, that are responsible for the bad things that are happening in this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:25 pm

Handy Andy wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I am no fan of the bureaucratic nature of the EU, it has moved too far away from it' s original purpose, a common market with minimal TRADE borders, with simplified (free) duty rates between members.
Should we leave?
Probably.
Csn we leave?
Almost impossible to do so.
Leaving the EU will leave us with 3 million+ EU nationality workers with no right to remain, no benefit entitlement, and will truly decimate large swathes of major industry and key areas such as transport, service industry and of course the NHS.
That isn't including all the expats who will have no divine right to remain in their domiciled EU country. Most will return to blighty unable to afford a property,  jobs will only be the low paid type previously vacated and inflation will rocket. We are a net importer, goods will be dutiable and the costs will have to be met by the consumer. London will cease to be the financial hot spot it now is, that will moveback to mainland Europe.
That is just for starters.

Andy it was never meant to be just a trading block - there are papers and documents from the 1950s describing an intent to form the EU as it is today and the steps getting to that form (and beyond)

It was sold to the British voters as a common market because our politicians of the day (1960s and 1970s) knew the British people would never in a million years vote for its true form - and those politicians knew that form - there are again documents now in the public domain showing this.

As for the workers and ex pats and everything else - does it not tell you how bad things are when the reasons we are being given to not leave are basically threats? Does it not tell you what form the beast is that people talk about ex pats being evicted, and trade blocks? Isnt that like saying dont leave your employer they will keep the money they owe you and give you a bad reference?

UKIP are working very hard developing accurate costings of an exit by several different strategies - they have long term structured plans for dealing with those already here legally which will see them experience no change in rights. They are aware of the possibility of the EU acting like a spoilt child and trying to stop trade and kick out ex pats and whatever other "punishments" they want to come up with and again are planning for it while of course maintaining the expectation that the EU will actually behave like the mature adult benevolent institution it claims to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:26 pm

Catman wrote:
sphinx wrote:

More important?

What can possibly be more important than the fact that the buck stops with 28 people who nobody chose, whom nobody can remove, who can do whatever they like, and who have even less idea of the realities of life than the idiots at Westminster?  (who have next to bugger all influence on what happens to people in everyday life and whose primary purpose is to make people think that the bad things happening are their (Westminsters) fault and nothing whatsoever to do with the 28 unelected commissioners)

I think that it's more the fault of the RW, and their mouthpiece the Daily Heil, that are responsible for the bad things that are happening in this country.

The EU and its commissioners will be delighted to hear that as it is exactly what they planned and intended.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Sphinx, no matter how laudable and well intentioned UKIP and Farage are, it is ludicrous to presume even with a few MP's they will have any influence on the next Government. At best they are a protest party at the moment , they won't build a party capable of gaining 350 mp's and forming a government in our lifetimes.
Love them or loathe them, the GE in 2015 will be fought between Labour and the conservatives, with UKIP and LibDems battling it out over 20% of the vote.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:22 pm

Handy Andy wrote:Sphinx, no matter how laudable and well intentioned UKIP and Farage are, it is ludicrous to presume even with a few MP's they will have any influence on the next Government. At best they are a  protest party at the moment , they won't build a party capable of gaining 350 mp's and forming a government in our lifetimes.
Love them or loathe them, the GE in 2015 will be fought between Labour and the conservatives,  with UKIP and LibDems  battling it out over 20% of the vote.

Firstly UKIP are already influencing government - without them immigration would never have got on the agenda and David Cameron would never have promised a referendum (the fact we know he wont deliver is neither here nor there - he started from the position there would be no referendum and U turned within a year).

Secondly it wont take 350 MPs - it will only take one. Part of the commitment to the EU our government signed in the 1970s includes an obligation to prevent the electorate realizing how much power lies with the EU - they are supposed to maintain the illusion that there is power in Westminster and that problems stem from there. From the start that is what the government have indeed done. A single UKIP MP will tear that illusion to shreds because at every debate they will stand up and point out the uselessness of said debate and detail where the actual decision is being made or has been made. They will present the truth backed by evidence to the electorate at every single opportunity - and it will be a case of The Emperors New Clothes as people realize exactly how big the lie is. After that all bets are off - whether following that UKIP are returned with a landslide or whether there is an uprising of independent candidates or whether the traditional 2 are overhauled from the ground up and one returned to power makes no difference because what will be inescapable will be that the whole political fabric of this country will have been remodelled as never before.

We are so close to loosing democracy completely - it scares the pants off me but it is all there clearly shown if people will just wake up and read it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:27 pm

sphinx wrote:
Handy Andy wrote:Sphinx, no matter how laudable and well intentioned UKIP and Farage are, it is ludicrous to presume even with a few MP's they will have any influence on the next Government. At best they are a  protest party at the moment , they won't build a party capable of gaining 350 mp's and forming a government in our lifetimes.
Love them or loathe them, the GE in 2015 will be fought between Labour and the conservatives,  with UKIP and LibDems  battling it out over 20% of the vote.

Firstly UKIP are already influencing government - without them immigration would never have got on the agenda and David Cameron would never have promised a referendum (the fact we know he wont deliver is neither here nor there - he started from the position there would be no referendum and U turned within a year).

Secondly it wont take 350 MPs - it will only take one.  Part of the commitment to the EU our government signed in the 1970s includes an obligation to prevent the electorate realizing how much power lies with the EU - they are supposed to maintain the illusion that there is power in Westminster and that problems stem from there.  From the start that is what the government have indeed done.  A single UKIP MP will tear that illusion to shreds because at every debate they will stand up and point out the uselessness of said debate and detail where the actual decision is being made or has been made.  They will present the truth backed by evidence to the electorate at every single opportunity - and it will be a case of The Emperors New Clothes as people realize exactly how big the lie is.  After that all bets are off - whether following that UKIP are returned with a landslide or whether there is an uprising of independent candidates or whether the traditional 2 are overhauled from the ground up and one returned to power makes no difference because what will be inescapable will be that the whole political fabric of this country will have been remodelled as never before.

We are so close to loosing democracy completely - it scares the pants off me but it is all there clearly shown if people will just wake up and read it.  

Sphinx, do you think you could squeeze in a reply to my request for information on which lies you claimed I told in relation to the naked thread and you views on it.

Thanks
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Secondly it wont take 350 MPs - it will only take one.  Part of the commitment to the EU our government signed in the 1970s includes an obligation to prevent the electorate realizing how much power lies with the EU - they are supposed to maintain the illusion that there is power in Westminster and that problems stem from there.  From the start that is what the government have indeed done.  A single UKIP MP will tear that illusion to shreds because at every debate they will stand up and point out the uselessness of said debate and detail where the actual decision is being made or has been made.  They will present the truth backed by evidence to the electorate at every single opportunity - and it will be a case of The Emperors New Clothes as people realize exactly how big the lie is.  After that all bets are off - whether following that UKIP are returned with a landslide or whether there is an uprising of independent candidates or whether the traditional 2 are overhauled from the ground up and one returned to power makes no difference because what will be inescapable will be that the whole political fabric of this country will have been remodelled as never before.

Sphinx, do you think you could squeeze in a reply to my request for information on which lies you claimed I told in relation to the naked thread and you views on it.

Thanks

I have only just seen the post you referred to on the naked thread - I had forgotten your habit of trying to turn threads to your own point when frustrated.

The statement you made on here implied that the Left do not lie.

There is a pile of documentary evidence that Harman failed to recognize the true nature of PIE. I have looked through it and my personal position remains I do not blame her for that failure and I fully understand why she made it however she did make it and I cannot understand why anyone who had made that mistake would not apologize.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:08 pm

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Thanks

I have only just seen the post you referred to on the naked thread - I had forgotten your habit of trying to turn threads to your own point when frustrated.

There is a pile of documentary evidence that Harman failed to recognize the true nature of PIE.  I have looked through it and my personal position remains I do not blame her for that failure and I fully understand why she made it however she did make it and I cannot understand why anyone who had made that mistake would not apologize.  

... I seriously doubt you will get Irn frustrated Sphinx  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:14 pm

Joy Division wrote:
sphinx wrote:

There is a pile of documentary evidence that Harman failed to recognize the true nature of PIE.  I have looked through it and my personal position remains I do not blame her for that failure and I fully understand why she made it however she did make it and I cannot understand why anyone who had made that mistake would not apologize.  

... I seriously doubt you will get Irn frustrated Sphinx  Laughing 

Why would I want to try?

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:15 pm

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Thanks

No, the point I was making was that your views on children being photographed or running around naked was ok and that as long as no harm came to them then that was okay. That's your view and the point that I was making was that was exactly the same thing that Harriet Harman had been quoted as saying.

So where did I lie?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:23 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:

No, the point I was making was that your views on children being photographed or running around naked was ok and that as long as no harm came to them then that was okay. That's your view and the point that I was making was that was exactly the same thing that Harriet Harman had been quoted as saying.

So where did I lie?

I did not say you lied - unless you are being so big as to consider that you are synonymous with "the left" - I said the left lied and your reply was
irn wrote:Replacing what lies?
implying that the left do not lie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:30 pm

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:

So where did I lie?

I did not say you lied - unless you are being so big as to consider that you are synonymous with "the left" - I said the left lied and your reply was
irn wrote:Replacing what lies?

You quite clearly stated that I lied. And I never said the left didn't lie. I asked you to tell me what they had lied about.

Your views on naked children were the same as Harman's.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:36 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Show me where I said you lied.

You quite clearly stated that I lied. And I never said the left didn't lie. I asked you to tell me what they had lied about.

Your views on naked children were the same as Harman's.

Show me where I said you lied.

And stop trying to change the thread to be about your own bee the bonnet - you have already done that on one thread that is nothing to do with the subject.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 pm

Irn Bru wrote:

sphinx wrote:

No I actually meant debunking left wing lies with actual truth not replacing them with fantasy of its own making.

Replacing what lies? And you didn't have a problem accepting that they were correct in looking for an apology from Harman on one of the issues that you actually agreed with.

So there you have it folks - from the keyboard of Irn Bru the official speaker - the Left do not lie.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:46 pm

Irn Bru wrote:    Irn Bru wrote:

sphinx wrote:

No I actually meant debunking left wing lies with actual truth not replacing them with fantasy of its own making.

Replacing what lies? And you didn't have a problem accepting that they were correct in looking for an apology from Harman on one of the issues that you actually agreed with.

So there you have it folks - from the keyboard of Irn Bru the official speaker - the Left do not lie.

And that is saying you lie how exactly?

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 pm

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:    Irn Bru wrote:

sphinx wrote:

And that is saying you lie how exactly?

You are claiming that I said the left do not lie. I never said that, did I?

And the gist of the discussion was your views being the same as Harman's in relation to naked children and indecency.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2