NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Covered Wooden Bridges

3 posters

Go down

Covered Wooden Bridges Empty Covered Wooden Bridges

Post by Original Quill Sat May 23, 2020 6:28 pm

A covered bridge is a timber-truss bridge with a roof, decking, and siding, which in most covered bridges create an almost complete enclosure. The purpose of the covering is to protect the wooden structural members from the weather. Uncovered wooden bridges typically have a lifespan of only 20 years because of the effects of rain and sun, but a covered bridge could last 100 years.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covered_bridge

Covered Wooden Bridges 1280px-Larrys_Creek_Covered_Bridge

Depicted is the Cogan House Covered Bridge, in Pennsylvania.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Covered Wooden Bridges Empty Re: Covered Wooden Bridges

Post by Original Quill Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Covered Wooden Bridges 220px-West_Montrose_Covered_Bridge_%28Oct._2018%29

This is the covered bridge in West Montrose, Ontario, Canada.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Covered Wooden Bridges 1280px-Schuylkill_Permanent_Bridge_at_High_Street%2C_the_first_covered_bridge_in_America

Drawing of the covered bridge over the Schuylkill River, in Philadelphia.  This was the first covered bridge in America. Built to replace a pontoon bridge at High Street (now Market) this new bridge was covered to protect it from the elements. Designed by Timothy Palmer; woodwork and ornamentation by Owen Biddle. Widened in 1850 to accommodate a railroad connection with the Columbia and Pennsylvania Railroads; destroyed by fire in 1875.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 23, 2020 6:55 pm

Covered Wooden Bridges A447%2C_Cedar_Covered_Bridge%2C_Madison_County%2C_Iowa%2C_USA%2C_2016

The Cedar Covered Bridge, Madison County, Iowa.  Featured in the novel/film The Bridges of Madison County, this bridge was destroyed by arson on September 3, 2002.  A replacement bridge was built to the same plans and specifications as the original and using authentic materials and techniques. It reopened during October, 2004. On April 15, 2017, the new bridge was again destroyed by fire

It was taken off the National Register of Historic Places on October 18, 2002.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 23, 2020 11:56 pm

They’re actually pretty cool. A bridge-tunnel!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun May 24, 2020 1:14 am

Growing up in New England I was privileged to see quite a few.

There’s something pleasing and soothing about wooden bridges as opposed to tunnels which freak me out.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 24, 2020 4:18 am

Any in Old England?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun May 24, 2020 5:21 pm

Original Quill wrote:Any in Old England?

Not that I’m aware of.

We’ve been on this one between Germany and Switzerland. Pedestrian only.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holzbrücke_Bad_Säckingen
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Bridges freak me out...especially those that have grates for road beds. The bridge at Marble Canyon, over the Colorado River, used to be like that.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun May 24, 2020 7:59 pm

Original Quill wrote:Bridges freak me out...especially those that have grates for road beds.  The bridge at Marble Canyon, over the Colorado River, used to be like that.

High bridges  and ones I can see through freak me out for different reasons. Covered bridges are nice somehow. As well as flyovers. There’s one in Houston that makes me heave. Very inconvenient when I’m driving. And the 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff? HELL NO. Even with my eyes clothes I get nauseous.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Cass wrote:Growing up in New England I was privileged to see quite a few.

There’s something pleasing and soothing about wooden bridges as opposed to tunnels which freak me out.

Wuz born in Cambridge, MA, and spent early life in New Hampshire.  All kinds of neat features there.  

Massachusetts:

Covered Wooden Bridges B4bffee0177f1bc6e218eed5cb3bfb34

New Hampshire has like 58 of them:

Covered Wooden Bridges NewEnglandCB

Maine:

Covered Wooden Bridges F98100d5-8708-47be-bdc7-753b79f4f8c5-vtme54afb56d142fb10b

Such beautiful country. But...so is Arixona.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Cass wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Bridges freak me out...especially those that have grates for road beds.  The bridge at Marble Canyon, over the Colorado River, used to be like that.

High bridges  and ones I can see through freak me out for different reasons. Covered bridges are nice somehow. As well as flyovers. There’s one in Houston that makes me heave. Very inconvenient when I’m driving. And the 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff? HELL NO. Even with my eyes clothes I get nauseous.

Ohhh...but that's Oak Creek Canyon.  A bit off-topic, but Arizona has four absolutely magnificent canyons.  Of course, the Grand Canyon.  The Salt River Canyon.  Canyon de Chelly, and Oak Creek Canyon.

Oak Creek Canyon is filled with greenery and is beautiful.  Route 89A climbs up the Mogollon Rim, and goes from beautiful red rock country (Sedona) to the southern reaches of the Colorado Plateau (Flagstaff).  The scenery is so beautiful that it is used to shoot a lot of national TV ads.

OK...back to topic. I know just the bridge you are talking about, on 89A. Scary. Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 pm

Vermont, and in Fall, with the leaves turning, and all the colors...

Covered Wooden Bridges Bd4c5ecddde9e3071a8a1258b05d09f3--covered-bridges-ponti-coperti

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon May 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Entrance to Zehnder's Covered Bridge or Zehnder's Holz Brucke, Frankenmuth, Michigan:

Covered Wooden Bridges 1200px-Covered_bridge_entrance%2C_Frankenmuth%2C_Michigan%2C_2015-01-11

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon May 25, 2020 4:29 pm

The Bridgeport Covered Bridge, a 223-foot-long landmark of North San Juan in Nevada County, California, that carries travelers (built as part of a toll road, it was closed to automobile traffic in 2010) across the south fork of the Yuba River, a waterway that originates at Donner Pass and eventually joins the Sacramento River.

Covered Wooden Bridges CoveredBridgesBridgeportCoveredBridge.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon May 25, 2020 8:19 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Cass wrote:

Ohhh...but that's Oak Creek Canyon.  A bit off-topic, but Arizona has four absolutely magnificent canyons.  Of course, the Grand Canyon.  The Salt River Canyon.  Canyon de Chelly, and Oak Creek Canyon.

Oak Creek Canyon is filled with greenery and is beautiful.  Route 89A climbs up the Mogollon Rim, and goes from beautiful red rock country (Sedona) to the southern reaches of the Colorado Plateau (Flagstaff).  The scenery is so beautiful that it is used to shoot a lot of national TV ads.

OK...back to topic.  I know just the bridge you are talking about, on 89A.  Scary. Twisted Evil

The whole of that road makes me nauseous, going up or down. It’s certainly beautiful, from what I’ve seen through my very briefly opened eyes.

Now that poor Harley is no longer with us, we might go up and rent a cabin for a staycation next month (practically all didn’t allow dogs) if Mr. C’s work lifts the 60 mile limit.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon May 25, 2020 8:52 pm

Cass wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

OK...back to topic.  I know just the bridge you are talking about, on 89A.  Scary. Twisted Evil

The whole of that road makes me nauseous, going up or down. It’s certainly beautiful, from what I’ve seen through my very briefly opened eyes.

Now that poor Harley is no longer with us, we might go up and rent a cabin for a staycation next month (practically all didn’t allow dogs) if Mr. C’s work lifts the 60 mile limit.

So sorry it makes you ill.  It is such a beautiful feature for a state to have.  Most states would beg for those views, and Arizona has so many of them  Are you familiar with a periodical titled Arizona Highways?  https://www.arizonahighways.com/  Used to be popular back when...  But hard-copy magazines have drifted into the past.

Anyway, many featured Oak Creek Canyon. https://www.arizonahighways.com/explore/scenic-drives/oak-creek-canyon

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon May 25, 2020 9:05 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Cass wrote:

So sorry it makes you ill.  It is such a beautiful feature for a state to have.  Most states would beg for those views, and Arizona has so many of them  Are you familiar with a periodical titled Arizona Highways?  https://www.arizonahighways.com/  Used to be popular back when...  But hard-copy magazines have drifted into the past.

Anyway, many featured Oak Creek Canyon.  https://www.arizonahighways.com/explore/scenic-drives/oak-creek-canyon

I follow them online. My boss had a picture published by them recently. The area in Sliding Rock I can handle slightly better! Vertigo sucks.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down