NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McDonald's plans major changes to Happy Meal policy

5 posters

Go down

McDonald's plans major changes to Happy Meal policy Empty McDonald's plans major changes to Happy Meal policy

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:34 pm

McDonald's is set to let customers decide if they want a toy with their Happy Meals - in a bid to cut plastic waste.

The fast food giant is trialling a move to let diners swap the toy for a fruit bag instead.

It comes as Burger King axes plastic toys from kids' meals - and will offer free meals to people who return unwanted toys.

And McDonald's bosses are also planning to introduce paper-based toys next year.

Explaining the move, Paul Pomroy, CEO of McDonald’s UK and Ireland, said: "We recognise that some people may not want a plastic Happy Meal toy, but we also know that the gifts provide fun for many families and children.

"That’s why we’ll be running these trials, in order to give our customers a choice; they also can choose not to have a toy or gift at all.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mcdonalds-unveils-bigger-ever-shake-20092592

Can't see many people trading the toys for a fruit bag, but I do like the idea of making them out of something other than plastic.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

McDonald's plans major changes to Happy Meal policy Empty Re: McDonald's plans major changes to Happy Meal policy

Post by eddie Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:36 pm

People often give these toys to charity shops where they get recycled, ie another child buys them.

And why pick on McDonald’s? A lot of toys are made from plastic.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

McDonald's plans major changes to Happy Meal policy Empty Re: McDonald's plans major changes to Happy Meal policy

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:43 pm

I would like to see a comparison of how many Happy Meal toys are distributed daily as opposed to all other toys -- I suspect they might be the most often-received toys in the world.

In general, though, we do need to stop making so much crap out of plastic, at least until we get better about reusing it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:51 pm

What about the companies that make little figures every time a film comes out....like DISNEY? Oh no, Disney is too profitable with big fat cats having their greedy fingers in the profits....

Let’s see Disney, the billionaires, making their toys out of something other than plastic.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:07 pm

I think they should all reduce the amount of plastic they use, but I did just look this up -- there are 58 million Barbies sold each year, as opposed to 1.2 billion Happy Meals sold per year.

Now, Barbie uses more plastic, that's true, but that's a hell of a lot of toys.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:11 pm

If the government really cared about keeping us alive, they would ban McDonalds. Cool Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:42 am

Maddog wrote:If the government really cared about keeping us alive, they would ban McDonalds. Cool Wink

Well said. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:03 am

eddie wrote:What about the companies that make little figures every time a film comes out....like DISNEY? Oh no, Disney is too profitable with big fat cats having their greedy fingers in the profits....

Let’s see Disney, the billionaires, making their toys out of something other than plastic.
Arrow

Papier mache, vegetable gum and vegetable dyes...

Then they can be composted after children have grown bored with them..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Maddog wrote:If the government really cared about keeping us alive, they would ban McDonalds. Cool Wink

Yeah really.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:23 pm

'Wolfie wrote:
eddie wrote:What about the companies that make little figures every time a film comes out....like DISNEY? Oh no, Disney is too profitable with big fat cats having their greedy fingers in the profits....

Arrow

Papier mache, vegetable gum and vegetable dyes...

Then they can be composted after children have grown bored with them..

I agree. But it’s not financially lucrative. Plastic is cheap.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:26 pm

Except for all the people who believe that they should be able to eat whatever they choose and live with the consequences. There are people in the government who believe that, too.

The freedom to choose your own diet deserves a defender, I think.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Except for all the people who believe that they should be able to eat whatever they choose and live with the consequences. There are people in the government who believe that, too.

You’re right. People should be able to eat what they want. I totally agree.
But this thread is about banning plastic toys...and I think, hang on, if you’re going to demonstrate about McDonald’s then at least demonstrate about the shit food!

Having said all that, McDonald’s do offer salads and “healthier” options to burgers.

Got to be fair.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Except for all the people who believe that they should be able to eat whatever they choose and live with the consequences. There are people in the government who believe that, too.

You know I was being sarcastic don't you?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down