NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?

5 posters

Go down

What's the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you? Empty What's the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:41 pm

Thought this would make for some interesting stories from people.

Back to top Go down

What's the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you? Empty Re: What's the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?

Post by eddie Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:01 pm

Well, when I was fifteen I was living “on the streets” as it were (I’d run away from home), and to cut a long story shot, I was far from my parents home and I approached a stranger in tears, and simply told him I was in trouble and that I needed train fare home.
He was an older guy, in his forties I’d guess, and he not only gave me the train fare but bought me a hot meal...I was as skinny as a rake.
He walked me to the train station and waited for my train and gave me a hug.

I’ve never forgotten him. He was kind when I needed it most.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

What's the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you? Empty Re: What's the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 pm

eddie wrote:Well, when I was fifteen I was living “on the streets” as it were (I’d run away from home), and to cut a long story shot, I was far from my parents home and I approached a stranger in tears, and simply told him I was in trouble and that I needed train fare home.
He was an older guy, in his forties I’d guess, and he not only gave me the train fare but bought me a hot meal...I was as skinny as a rake.
He walked me to the train station and waited for my train and gave me a hug.

I’ve never forgotten him. He was kind when I needed it most.  

Beautiful story eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:25 pm

When I was around 15, I was waiting for the bus to school on a cold morning, in a heavy rain shower. I was soaked and shivering by the time a guy in a work truck pulled over and gave me his umbrella (I asked how I'd return it, and he said to just keep it).

Even though I was already wet to the skin, it felt so good to stop the rain from hitting me for those final 10 minutes or so of my wait, and by the end of the bus ride, I was nearly dry, since the driver had the heat turned right up.

I was really touched not only that he'd give me his umbrella, but because I thought he'd then be stuck in the rain all day on his job. Looking back, I'm sure he had a spare or something, but it really meant a lot to me and still does.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:07 am

When I was younger, I was stuck in New York City and needed to get home to Los Angeles.  Only had about $8-dollars on me and I had my guitar with me.  I took a bus from the Transit Center to New Jersey and stuck my thumb out.  A guy pulled over and said, you play the guitar and I'll drive...I'm going to LA.  He dropped me off at my doorstep in Glendale.

Nicest guy...greatest luck, I ever had.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:55 am

I have a pretty cool story from our honeymoon trip to Prague last year Smile

It was actually mine and my OH's last full day in Prague. We'd gone to a little cafe for breakfast and were just finishing our breakfast when we noticed some AMAZING look desserts, including a caramel cheesecake (my absolute favourite!). We were discussing whether to indulge a little (which in our experience almost always leads to a positive decision Wink ) when a couple sat nearby joking told us to go ahead since we were on holiday.

They were from Kansas and I'd estimate anywhere from mid 40s to early 50s. They asked what brought us to Prague and we told them we were on our honeymoon; and by sheer coincidence, so were they! We told them that while it was our honeymoon, it was a much delayed one since we'd married the October before. And again, by sheer coincidence, so had they (only in September, not October)! We got to talking a bit and it also turned out the wife had also travelled a little in Thailand a long time before they met. The only difference in our tales up to this point was that while this was our last day in Prague, it was their first! They were super nice. Anyway, we ordered our desserts and they were as awesome as expected (nowhere does desserts like Europe lol).

They got their bill first and paid then left. We got our bill right after but then it turned out (the waiter told us) the American couple had paid for our desserts! Me and my OH were stunned but it also gave such a nice, warm feeling. I raced down the street to see if I could spot them to say thank you. Luckily, I did manage to catch up with them and we exchanged Facebook details and I promised to return the favour if ever they came to Thailand - which they said they planned to at some point in the future Smile

It was so unexpected and such a nice thing to do. If ever we have the chance to do something similar we absolutely will Smile

Following them on Facebook has also brought the added bonus of discovering that they loathe Trump as much as any right thinking person Laughing
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:24 pm

when i had my niece, Jess to stay with me. she was booked on a coach back to Dorset at 4.00 from somewhere in london. (cant remember if it was victoria or liverpool street) she had to get that coach cos her dad was meeting her at the other end as they live right out in the sticks and there are no buses after about 5pm or something ridiculous.

anyhoos true to form, i was running late and was panicking she wouldn't get her coach. we came out of the underground station but it was at least about 5 minutes to the coach station and find the right departure gate and the streets were heaving with people it was murder even trying to move much less get anywhere in a hurry and we had about 3 minutes

i bundled us both into a passing black cab and said ''look i'm willing to pay extra but just get to the coach station, her coach leaves in 2 minutes''

he shot off down back streets, hurtling round corners while i was barking at jess, ''have you got your phone, damn i need a wee, have you got your charger, did you pack everything, oh crap i hope we make it''

the driver was chortling away and actually drove on to the coach forecourt which he shouldn't have done just as the coach was about to pull away.
we screeched at it to stop and she just made it on board. (no time for any good-byes)

i walked back to the cabbie and said how much do i owe you but he refused saying he had more entertainment in the last minute than he's had all week

What's the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you? 3489511464 What's the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you? 3489511464

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:30 pm

Wow, I love these stories! It just shows that most people have kind, caring hearts.

I also often find myself doing things for strangers.

I got on the bus once and this woman couldn’t pay with her bank card. The driver was being an arsehole to her because she was crying and saying her mum had just died and she had to get to the hospital, so he could’ve just waived her fare but he wouldn’t.

I paid her fare for her and sat on the bus with her whilst she cried.

The weird thing was, I never really carry cash and the exact amount of her fare was exactly all the change I had in my purse...
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:51 pm

eddie wrote:Wow, I love these stories! It just shows that most people have kind, caring hearts.

I got on the bus once and this woman couldn’t pay with her bank card. The driver was being an arsehole to her because she was crying and saying her mum had just died and she had to get to the hospital, so he could’ve just waived her fare but he wouldn’t.

The weird thing was, I never really carry cash and the exact amount of her fare was exactly all the change I had in my purse...

That was just one of so many things you've done that make me feel that I found a partner more amazing than I had any right to ask for in you.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:14 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Wow, I love these stories! It just shows that most people have kind, caring hearts.

That was just one of so many things you've done that make me feel that I found a partner more amazing than I had any right to ask for in you.

You’d have done the same, in fact, I’m sure many would have dude. I love you
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:17 pm

oh i'm always helping someone, whether it's doing what you did, or helping if they're short at the till, or giving to some homeless person (which i always do) or just letting someone go before me, or helping someone up the steps with their buggie, whatever really. i think little acts of kindness are like fruit and veg. you should do at least 5 a day for a healthy well balanced soul

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:01 pm

I think I've told this story before, but here goes:

I am a member of the Bar Association of San Francisco, and they have a program called the HAP...stands for the Homeless Advocacy Program. The aim of the program is to do any and all legal work that puts a roof over someone's head, whether its landlord-tenant law, employment law, child-support, social security, or disability...whatever the problem, if it's the root cause of their homelessness, we take it on.

I pay for all the lawyers in my firm to go and lend the Bar a hand in this program. They finish one project, then on to the next. It's only one file on their desk, so it's not a detraction from the bulk of their work.

One day I accepted a case of a man who lived in a rusted out pickup truck in a field, that hadn't run for a decade--he was that destitute. At the clinic in-take I knew something was wrong, as he was out there cringing at the children who were running around and making noise.

His problem was that some government worker had rejected his claim for SSDI because he didn't demonstrate any disability. I looked at his application and it clearly marked "emotional issue". The clerk just dismissed that as not a disability.

Long story short...I immediately filed an appeal of Deputy's Decision, and accompanied it with a legal memorandum ... determined to fight for the guy. To my surprise, the Judge read the Memorandum and immediately issued an Order: No Hearing Necessary--Social Security to pay [I believe it was around] $16-20,000, and to continue monthly [in a certain amount] for the rest of his life. He received the check in the mail, and brought it to my office asking, how much do I owe you? 'Nothing,' I said, 'go get yourself a real home.'

I felt glad that I had helped him, but imagine what that Judge did without further hearing. And then the guy comes back to me and offers to pay. I'd say everybody got touched by an angel in that case.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:37 pm

Nice story Quill. That was a very nice act of kindness.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down