NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eddie's awesome observations about social media

4 posters

Go down

Eddie's awesome observations about social media Empty Eddie's awesome observations about social media

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 pm

I really felt when I read this that I agreed completely but had never articulated it the way she does. Anyway, I think it's great, and I'd love to see if it strikes others as it did me.

What is the point of social media platforms if you don’t use them for something good? Are they just way of getting people to like you, keeping friends informed, gaining personal gratification, sending a message that makes you feel passionate?

All of, or some of, the above?

Here’s the way I see it - and I’m not saying I’m right or taking the moral high ground here - I’m curious.

Do any of us care how your little one looks at Halloween? Do any of us care that it’s your dead grandmother’s birthday? Do any of us care what you had for dinner or how much fun you had at the beach?

Do any of us care how great you, or your daughter looks as a filtered person with rabbit ears? I don’t know. Maybe. Possibly some people do. But is that the best way to use a platform that gives you the freedom to say anything you want to say?

Perhaps some people don’t want to speak out, perhaps they need the “likes” and the comments about ‘bunny-eared photos’ or ‘salmon and broccoli for dinner’ posts. But I have to ask myself...why?

Maybe I have been guilty of those things myself - not very often though - because I am not interested in people’s dinners or the fact that you’re “at the airport” waiting to board a plane.

Why?

Well....it’s not interesting, is it? Is it???

I’m waiting to read about your thoughts, your fears, your funny way of going through your day, your impatience of the world, your hopes and your honesty, I want to read your posts without seeing your fear of PC bull crap because you are too afraid of sounding racist or ageist or that you’re against fat people or thin people...etc etc

I want to read you at 3am when you’ve cried because you watched a film that spoke to you, I want to listen when you tell us that the world has awoken you or destroyed you, I want to know that I can come along and feel comfortable enough to tell you how I think without that pretence that I have to be “inoffensive” because you will run and hide otherwise. I want to hear the things your kids SAY, not see what they look like with a filter all over them - because Jesus, what child isn’t beautiful enough without a filter??? Why aren’t YOU, beautiful enough without a filter?

Why can’t we use social media as a way of bettering the world, discussing the world, learning about the people in the world, and not buying into the bullshit that makes us need to be liked?

Perhaps I’m talking crap. Who knows? If you don’t ask the questions and take a leap of faith then what is the point...really?

Rant over. Perhaps it may make a ripple somewhere.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Eddie's awesome observations about social media Empty Re: Eddie's awesome observations about social media

Post by Maddog Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:18 pm

I use it for everything.

I have some fairly good conversations with friends and family. I post on a lot of news sites. I keep up with current events and I get to see what others are up to.

I also use it for events, and to find new places to eat or visit.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Eddie's awesome observations about social media Empty Re: Eddie's awesome observations about social media

Post by eddie Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:43 am

Yeah, I felt really irritated by all the Facebook posts that are just so...blah. I don’t mind the occasional blah post but lately, it’s just so much inane bullshit.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:46 am

eddie wrote:Yeah, I felt really irritated by all the Facebook posts that are just so...blah. I don’t mind the occasional blah post but lately, it’s just so much inane bullshit.  

If you think about what power the ordinary person has, it's really two things -- their voice and their vote. We only get one vote per election, but we can voice our views and inspire people to think every day. Seems a shame to waste so much of that power on meaningless fluff.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:52 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Yeah, I felt really irritated by all the Facebook posts that are just so...blah. I don’t mind the occasional blah post but lately, it’s just so much inane bullshit.  

If you think about what power the ordinary person has, it's really two things -- their voice and their vote. We only get one vote per election, but we can voice our views and inspire people to think every day. Seems a shame to waste so much of that power on meaningless fluff.

This, I feel very strongly about. I don’t understand why people don’t use it to state their views or to open up discussion. We seem to live in a very material, artificial world at the moment. The minute I open my mouth - always politely - people get so offended and so defensive, as you know. I’m never rude, I just ask questions and bam! the defensive walls go up.

How can you someone get angry over a question unless they don’t like the fact that they don’t like their answer or the way their answer makes them feel? scratch
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:24 am

Ben Reilly wrote:

You can do both. Some people enjoy posting pictures of family and food, no harm in that. I personally love checking in whenever I travel, with pictures - especially since I live on the opposite side of the world to my family Smile Of course, I also regularly share my political views on FB too Wink

Some people aren't that interested in politics or world affairs or grand emotional statements though, so why would they post about it?

Also, not everyone who doesn't post about politics or controversial topics avoids doing so because they feel they can't - in fact I would argue that isn't the case for most people. Most are just indifferent, and probably find other people posting about such things to be as boring and dull as others think posting food and baby pictures is Razz
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:47 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

You get to craft your page the way you like, based on who you follow. Mine is mostly news oriented. (I even follow your former employer, but the bastards want me to pay to read most of their stuff). Then there are the musicians I follow.

Place some news stories on your page, with an open mind, and you will create discussions.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down