NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If your partner became...

4 posters

Go down

If your partner became... Empty If your partner became...

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:03 am

In a vegetative state or badly brain damaged and did not have their wits about them,would you stay we arrived to them as if nothing had happened?, I'm not sure if one could fully do that , but certainly the caring aspect.

I've always thought folk who do leave a partner who falls victim like this is a callous person, but on the other hand I understand why.

It must be so much hard work physically and mentally to care for someone in a state like that,  I know it's not happened to me, but I believe in staying with that person through whatever, especially where there are kids involved.

That must be a terrible predicament to be in...a partner , who only the day before was normal and had their wits about them, then next day terrible head injuries form am accident...

..I can't even imagine.

..I should stress that I mean like irreversible brain damage.

Back to top Go down

If your partner became... Empty Re: If your partner became...

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:08 am

for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, you stay with them until the end Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:09 am

heavenly father wrote:for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, you stay with them until the end Smile 

That's exactly my feelings too Favva, but probably much easier said than done in RL for some?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:11 am

Joy Division wrote:
heavenly father wrote:for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, you stay with them until the end Smile 

That's exactly my feelings too Favva, but probably much easier said than done in RL for some?

it would be hard work and even heartbreaking especially if they didn't even recognise you but if you love them it's the least you could do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:15 am

heavenly father wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

it would be hard work and even heartbreaking especially if they didn't even recognise you but if you love them it's the least you could do.

...nice one Favva, I know in my heart I could never abandon my wife if that ever happened...I just know, as you say...in sickened and in health,,,,that is the bow we have taken and is meant now as much as it was when we took those vows.

But I've seen on telly folk abandoning their OH Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 am

Joy Division wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

...nice one Favva, I know in my heart I could never abandon my wife if that ever happened...I just know, as you say...in sickened and in health,,,,that is the bow we have taken and is meant now as much as it was when we took those vows.

remember the man who was burnt on the sir galahad, during the falklands conflict, they couldn't stay together, some sickness can change a person to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:27 am

heavenly father wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

remember the man who was burnt on the sir galahad, during the falklands conflict, they couldn't stay together, some sickness can change a person to.

..as a nipper at the time I do remember the Falklands, I also remember a guy burned badly on the face and have seen him a few times on telly since..think he won bravery award...same guy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:29 am

Joy Division wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

..as a nipper at the time I do remember the Falklands, I also remember a guy burned badly on the face and have seen him a few times on telly since..think he won bravery award...same guy?

yep that's the one... he split up from his wife, i think he married again though but with burns maybe you need to meet them how they look after the burns to get through it, if you know what i mean..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:03 am

heavenly father wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

yep that's the one... he split up from his wife, i think he married again though but with burns maybe you need to meet them how they look after the burns to get through it, if you know what i mean..

..I do Favva, , so they have never looked any different before in the eyes of a potential partner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:04 am

Joy Division wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

..I do Favva, , so they have never looked any different before in the eyes of a potential partner.

yeah, i think its far less difficult than knowing what they looked like before and to be honest you don't know what a traumatic experience like that could do to the person inside either..

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:27 am

It's hard for me to imagine *not* sticking with them through to the end, but I haven't been in that situation before, not really. Closest I ever came was after my dad's first surgery about 10 years ago; he was in a coma for three weeks that felt like 30 years. I could literally never stop thinking about him.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 am

I would stick my them; I couldn't imagine leaving my BF when he needed me most anymore than I could him doing that to me. Of course it would be hard but I believe our love would be enough to overcome any difficulty either of us faced. Even if he didn't know me I would know that inside he was the same person and I certainly would be. I could never then betray him.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:02 am

Depends on how vegetative? All of my loved ones Openly say (as I do too) that If we were in that state we would prefer to be dead. So if we a talking only slightly better than brain death... I really don't know confused 

But if we are just talking quadriplegic yes.

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:32 pm

I'd stay with him, but I think it would be really really hard on me and all our loved ones.
Also my OH has said he'd rather me put him out of his misery.....
I  am with veya: I think people are better off dead than like this so I'd probably kill him

Ps:I don't mean I'd kill Veya  Shocked 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:17 pm

Good evening Folks.

Sorry to burst your good will bubbles but none of you know what you would actually do until the time it happened.

It's all very well saying that you would stay with your partner but what if you,the healthy partner as the main bread winner needs to work & bring in a wage to care for you,your kids & vegetative partner & pay the bills.

Are you seriously going to give up a possibly well paid job so that you stay at home all day with your sick partner?

Do you have the capabilities to look after your partner as that kind of care needs expert help?

Who will take you kids to school while you are looking after your partner etc etc?

The fact is,that such a horrible event would be so impactive on your life as well as immediate family that one of the best things to do is to try & stick as closely as possible to your normal family routine.

And the main thing to realize,is that you WILL need help......And lots of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:29 pm

If I ended up in that kind of state I'd hope someone would do the kindest thing and knock me off.  I've said often enough I fear life more than death in those kind of circumstances  affraid 

Would I have the courage to do that for my Hubby, yes if that was what he wanted.  It's important to have these kinds of discussions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:43 pm

feelthelove wrote:If I ended up in that kind of state I'd hope someone would do the kindest thing and knock me off.  I've said often enough I fear life more than death in those kind of circumstances  affraid 

Would I have the courage to do that for my Hubby, yes if that was what he wanted.  It's important to have these kinds of discussions.

To be honest FtL that is true; I think if one of us was in the situation then we would know that they would rather not carry on living in such a state.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Absolutely 100%.

No other option would cross my mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Eilzel wrote:
feelthelove wrote:If I ended up in that kind of state I'd hope someone would do the kindest thing and knock me off.  I've said often enough I fear life more than death in those kind of circumstances  affraid 

To be honest FtL that is true; I think if one of us was in the situation then we would know that they would rather not carry on living in such a state.
I worked in a nursing home a couple of years ago. They had an Alzheimers ward, and I remember saying to one of the nurses how terrible it must be for them. She said she thought they were probably the most content of all the patients, they seemed quite happy in their own little reality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:44 pm

Tess. wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

I worked in a nursing home a couple of years ago.  They had an Alzheimers ward, and I remember saying to one of the nurses how terrible it must be for them.   She said she thought they were probably the most content of all the patients, they seemed quite happy in their own little reality.

I always think of alzheimers as being frightening and it's awful for loved ones too  Sad 

For the record, please someone shoot me! Order, order form a single file queue!!!!! If your partner became... Gun_210

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:51 pm

Alzheimer's is only really frightening, as far as I know, when the patient is developing the disease and still has some semblance of their own self, still.
When the disease has totally enveloped them, they are, as Tess has said, normally happy in their own world.

Sorry FTL that post was supposed to be in response to yours but I pressed reply instead of quote lol
Hope you're well btw x
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down