NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Donald Trump's visit divides Buckingham Palace crowds

4 posters

Go down

Donald Trump's visit divides Buckingham Palace crowds Empty Donald Trump's visit divides Buckingham Palace crowds

Post by eddie Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:31 pm

Donald Trump and the Queen may come from different worlds, but few would deny they at least share an appreciation of pageantry - and that was not in short supply when the US president arrived at Buckingham Palace.

Following the Changing the Guard, Mr Trump's helicopter - Marine One - whipped up dust from nearby Green Park as it flew overhead, eagerly followed by a Mexican wave of smartphones from the crowd below.

America's leader is a man who inspires strong views on all sides - and that was evident in central London on the first day of his UK trip.

"It's our first time in London," said Laura Curri, visiting the UK with her family from Florida. "We heard Trump was going to be at the palace and we're huge fans so we came down."

Her husband, John Curri, hopes the visit will lead to "more unity" between the US and UK.

"You're leaders over here and we're leaders in our part of the world - this visit should make us both stronger," he said.

Asked if he thinks the president is misunderstood in the UK, Mr Curri told the BBC: "People want honesty and strong leadership. I think now it has arrived people are scared - but it's here to stay."

And it is not just visitors to the UK who saw benefits in Mr Trump's visit.

Husband and wife Tony and Jennifer Holdcroft, describing themselves as "proud Brexiteers", said they made the trip down from Stoke-on-Trent "to welcome the president and combat the protesters".

"We think he's a brilliant man," said Mrs Holdcroft. "He's straight talking, he's firm and he looks after his own people. "This visit is about friendship, which we've had for years and years, and keeping up the alliance."

Not everyone, however, shared in the excitement.

Dr Abdulkadar Alzuabi, who came from Manchester to protest against Mr Trump's visit, said: "I don't think the UK should listen to him, we're different to him in this country.

"In this country, if you are British, if you are a refugee, if you are black or white, if you are European or an Arab, you are equal.

"He's trying to use his influence to change how things are in the UK. We shouldn't listen to him."

Auriel Granville - dressed as the Statue of Liberty - had made the slightly shorter trip from Wimbledon in south London, but felt just as strongly about the US president.

"I don't think he should be received in this way," she said. "Climate change should be top of our agenda and Donald Trump is a climate change denier.

"He's not listening to scientists, who are all saying it is a result of human activity."

She added: "He is doing so much damage."

If anyone had thought Mr Trump might tone down some of his more unusual styles of diplomacy for the three-day visit, they were set straight early on Monday morning.

Moments before Air Force One landed at Stansted, Mr Trump posted two tweets criticising Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, calling him a "stone cold loser".

While some around the palace supported Mr Trump, one Londoner was so angry she had decided to come out in protest.

Jill Gillard, who emigrated to the UK from South Africa in 1979, said: "I had no intention of coming down today but then I saw his tweet about Sadiq Khan and thought: 'No, that's too much.'

"It's people like Sadiq Khan that have made me feel very welcome in this country and I feel very strongly about the discourtesy of a man who has no insight into our way of life here, which I have been very proud to embrace."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48502000
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Donald Trump's visit divides Buckingham Palace crowds Empty Re: Donald Trump's visit divides Buckingham Palace crowds

Post by eddie Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:37 pm

Most people I have met and talked to, cannot stand him even though they kinda like his no-nonsense blunt straight talk.
It will be interesting to see what develops over the next couple of days.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Donald Trump's visit divides Buckingham Palace crowds Empty Re: Donald Trump's visit divides Buckingham Palace crowds

Post by Vintage Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Straight talking is good but straight out insults not so good.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Vintage wrote:Straight talking is good but straight out insults not so good.

You are right but I think that’s what a lot of people find refreshing - just the outright bluntness, (that I wished came out of a better man) - we sorely need politicians to speak more frankly in my humble opinion.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:53 pm

The problem is, it doesn't really work for a leader to call rapid climate change a "loser," or ever-tightening corporate control over our lives "failing."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Vintage wrote:Straight talking is good but

straight out insults not so good.

Nailed it.  alien

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:31 pm

First off, for someone who repeatedly found excuses to avoid conscription, Trump's so called "straight talking" about a number of brave soldiers who were willing to put themselves in harm's way was a damn cheek, frankly.

Secondly he is never straight talking when awkward issues like hush money being paid to women for alleged extra marital affairs, arise. He either talks in riddles or runs away and leaves his lawyers to do all the talking, then he  watches these same lawyers being threatened with prosecution, on his behalf.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Jules wrote:First off, for someone who repeatedly found excuses to avoid conscription, Trump's so called "straight talking" about a number of brave soldiers who were willing to put themselves in harm's way was a damn cheek, frankly.

Secondly he is never straight talking when awkward issues like hush money being paid to women for alleged extra marital affairs, arise. He either talks in riddles or runs away and leaves his lawyers to do all the talking, then he  watches these same lawyers being threatened with prosecution, on his behalf.

I never said I liked him, or his thoughts, I just like bluntness, I guess. In some circumstances, bluntness might be helpful to politicians. The public are tired of these robotic plastic men and women who regurgitate the same old platitudes.
It’s boring and quite frankly, non-believable.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down