NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maggot ice cream....anyone?

+3
Victorismyhero
Ben Reilly
eddie
7 posters

Go down

Maggot ice cream....anyone?  Empty Maggot ice cream....anyone?

Post by eddie Tue May 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Maggot ice cream touted as eco-friendly alternative to traditional dairy-made treat.
The manufacturer points out that the larvae is sustainable to farm while producing a lot of protein, fat and minerals.

Maggot ice cream....anyone?  35bc6710

Raspberry ripple, chocolate chip or maggot?

Fans of the sweet treat could soon find grubs up in their cornet with the fly larvae being touted as a high-protein and sustainable alternative to the traditional dairy-made frozen product.

While interest has been growing in insects as a more eco-friendly food source in the West, a South African food maker has gone a step further and used maggots harvested from flies as a basis for ice cream.

Operating out of the Cape Town University of Technology, Gourmet Grubb processes the larvae of black soldier flies with other natural ingredients before mixing with flavours such as cocoa and honey in an ice cream-making machine.

Leah Bessa, head of product development at Gourmet Grubb, said: "Insects are typically environmentally friendly and sustainable to farm because they use very little land, water and food to grow on. They aren't at risk of climate change because you can grow them in a controlled environment, sort of an enclosed area. So you don't have the effects of drought and all those other things that are associated with climate change.

"And what's really great is that they produce a lot of protein and fat and minerals, by growing on what would typically be considered a waste product."

https://news.sky.com/story/maggot-ice-cream-touted-as-eco-friendly-alternative-to-traditional-dairy-made-treat-11711059

Shocked erm...no thanks.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Maggot ice cream....anyone?  Empty Re: Maggot ice cream....anyone?

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 07, 2019 9:08 pm

I'd give it a taste!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue May 07, 2019 9:21 pm

might get a real buzz outa that
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 07, 2019 9:31 pm

Victorismyhero wrote:might get a real buzz outa that

Swatter you trying to say, Vic?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue May 07, 2019 9:39 pm

I reckon it’s a fly-by-night idea.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Maggots make me feel physically sick, so I will pass. pale
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed May 08, 2019 4:31 am

Well that’s swell to read justvafter finishing a chocolate milkshake. Ta.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed May 08, 2019 5:56 am

When Fishing in cold weather, put Maggots in your Mouth to warm them up so they Wriggle more when on the Hook !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed May 08, 2019 5:07 pm

nicko wrote:When Fishing in cold weather, put Maggots in your Mouth to warm them up so they Wriggle more when on the Hook !

Well. You learn something new every day. No
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed May 08, 2019 6:58 pm

Well they give off ammonia so no germs !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed May 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Many, many moons ago, when I was a wannabe Biggles and before I became more of a Grounded Rumpole, I went on a rather curious "downed aircrew" course presided over by some bloke who had been one of Lt. Col. David Stirling's LRDG, later SAS (Nicko will known what I'm talking about) nutcases.

I seem to recall him regaling us with the culinary delights and nutritional value of maggots in the unfortunate even of our aircraft becoming a bit of a bent groundcraft.........

Thanks be to God and the Archangel Michael, I never had to make a landing - crash or otherwise - at anywhere more exotic and maggot prone than Lindholme in Lincolnshire......
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed May 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Many, many moons ago, when I was a wannabe Biggles and before I became more of a Grounded Rumpole, I went on a rather curious "downed aircrew" course presided over by some bloke who had been one of Lt. Col. David Stirling's LRDG, later SAS (Nicko will known what I'm talking about) nutcases.

I seem to recall him regaling us with the culinary delights and nutritional value of maggots in the unfortunate even of our aircraft becoming a bit of a bent groundcraft.........

Thanks be to God and the Archangel Michael, I never had to make a landing - crash or otherwise - at anywhere more exotic and maggot prone than Lindholme in Lincolnshire......

Well, that made for ....erm....a disgusting read. Thanks Fred. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed May 08, 2019 7:29 pm

eddie wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:Many, many moons ago, when I was a wannabe Biggles and before I became more of a Grounded Rumpole, I went on a rather curious "downed aircrew" course presided over by some bloke who had been one of Lt. Col. David Stirling's LRDG, later SAS (Nicko will known what I'm talking about) nutcases.

Well, that made for ....erm....a disgusting read. Thanks Fred. Rolling Eyes

That's OK, Eddie. I'm just about to cook Basmati rice and Jalfrezi chicken.............surprising how much like rice grains maggots look after a trip to the frying pan.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed May 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Well don’t read your own post again.

Yuck.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down