NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas?

4 posters

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Go down

A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? Empty A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas?

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:37 pm

The city of Allen, a northern suburb of Dallas, occupies a special place in the history of sports stadiums: it was the instigator of what once was dubbed a high school football stadium arms race. In 2012 it unveiled Eagle Stadium, the 18,000-seat, $60m home of the Allen High School Eagles. Not too many years later nearby McKinney opened a stadium for its own high schools worth $70m.

Lately, Allen once again has taken center stage in a curious stadium proposal, one that until recently formed part of an ambitious multibillion-dollar plan to spread cricket across the US.

The Allen proposal calls for a $500m, 15,000-capacity stadium, the anchor of a mixed-use complex that would also include training facilities, residential and retail units, and office space. For a game not exactly part of the sporting firmament in Texas’s sprawling Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, that’s an incredible potential investment.

The aim is to establish a footprint for the world’s second most popular sport in a country that, outside of a few communities, pays cricket little heed. In the grand vision, the stadium would eventually play host to a professional team competing in a US-wide Twenty20 league. It would also stage visiting international teams and exhibition matches as well as other sports and events, according to reports.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/23/cricket-stadium-texas-allen

Damn Southerners! Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? Empty Re: A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas?

Post by Maddog Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:34 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
The city of Allen, a northern suburb of Dallas, occupies a special place in the history of sports stadiums: it was the instigator of what once was dubbed a high school football stadium arms race. In 2012 it unveiled Eagle Stadium, the 18,000-seat, $60m home of the Allen High School Eagles. Not too many years later nearby McKinney opened a stadium for its own high schools worth $70m.

Lately, Allen once again has taken center stage in a curious stadium proposal, one that until recently formed part of an ambitious multibillion-dollar plan to spread cricket across the US.

The Allen proposal calls for a $500m, 15,000-capacity stadium, the anchor of a mixed-use complex that would also include training facilities, residential and retail units, and office space. For a game not exactly part of the sporting firmament in Texas’s sprawling Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, that’s an incredible potential investment.

The aim is to establish a footprint for the world’s second most popular sport in a country that, outside of a few communities, pays cricket little heed. In the grand vision, the stadium would eventually play host to a professional team competing in a US-wide Twenty20 league. It would also stage visiting international teams and exhibition matches as well as other sports and events, according to reports.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/23/cricket-stadium-texas-allen

Damn Southerners! Laughing

I think the brakes are getting tapped on that last I heard.

I already teased the local Arlington politicians about how Allen was stealing their Cricket Stadium. tongue
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? Empty Re: A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas?

Post by Cass Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:28 pm

Cricket??? $500 million?? Texas?? A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? 3489511464
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:20 am

Cass wrote:Cricket??? $500 million?? Texas?? A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? 3489511464

We have a pretty big Pakistani and Indian population now. They come here to be victims of racism. They are a funny lot I guess. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:51 am

I don't like Cricket , no, I love it !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:59 am

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:Cricket??? $500 million?? Texas?? A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? 3489511464

We have a pretty big Pakistani and Indian population now. They come here to be victims of racism. They are a funny lot I guess. Wink  

Well good luck to them. I bet that I would actually watch a whole Test Series if this happens in my lifetime lol!
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:21 pm

nicko wrote:I don't like Cricket , no, I love it !

I can't watch a game that takes a month and a half to complete. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:45 pm

I believe my post was about a song, no one heard of it ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down