NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teen rebelliousness - could it be used to make them eat healthier food?

4 posters

Go down

Teen rebelliousness - could it be used to make them eat healthier food? Empty Teen rebelliousness - could it be used to make them eat healthier food?

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:18 pm

Harnessing the rebellious streak among teenagers may help efforts to get youngsters to cut down on junk food, a study suggests.

Researchers in the United States reported that altering the way teenagers see adverts for fast food companies can lead to a change in dietary choices.

The study, from researchers at Chicago Booth University and published in the journal Nature Human Behaviour, saw students given an “expose-style article” suggesting fast-food companies were trying to “hook consumers on addictive junk food for financial gain”.

Food marketing is deliberately designed to create positive emotional associations with junk food, to connect it with feelings of happiness and fun.

It found the teenage boys opted to make healthier daily dietary choices in the school’s cafeteria, with researchers linking it to the pupil’s desire to rebel.

Christopher Bryan, from the university, said: “Food marketing is deliberately designed to create positive emotional associations with junk food, to connect it with feelings of happiness and fun.

“What we’ve done is turn that around on the food marketers by exposing this manipulation to teenagers, triggering their natural strong aversion to being controlled by adults.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-22/teenagers-desire-to-rebel-could-help-them-eat-less-junk-food-study/

I'm ashamed that I'm going to call this story "food for thought" ... but let me ask the forum a question -- are these boys truly rebelling, or showing an intelligent response to being told the truth of what fast food companies are trying to do to them?

The article does go on to say that on average, girls didn't change their cafeteria choices much. That's an even bigger puzzler.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Teen rebelliousness - could it be used to make them eat healthier food? Empty Re: Teen rebelliousness - could it be used to make them eat healthier food?

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Basketball

Teenage girls are more vulnerable to "peer group pressure" on average, compared to their male counterparts...

You see it in their social interactions, fashion choices in music amd clothes, higher incidences of cigarette smoking and binge drinking, choice of sports (if any..).

Girls also seem more fragile and vulnerable to bad effects from attacks in the form of gossip, social media, others ganging up on them.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Teen rebelliousness - could it be used to make them eat healthier food? Empty Re: Teen rebelliousness - could it be used to make them eat healthier food?

Post by Maddog Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:03 pm

Parents teaching kids about junk food long before high school is the secret to kids eating healthy. By high school it's hard to change diets.

Parents that feed their fat little kids junk irritate me to no end.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Maddog wrote:Parents teaching kids about junk food long before high school is the secret to kids eating healthy.  By high school it's hard to change diets.  

They irritate me too, but I bet a lot of those parents were raised the same way they're bringing up their kids.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:12 pm

Maddog wrote:Parents teaching kids about junk food long before high school is the secret to kids eating healthy.  By high school it's hard to change diets.  

Totally agree. It’s akin to child abuse.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down