NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whatever happened to rebelliousness?

5 posters

Go down

Whatever happened to rebelliousness? Empty Whatever happened to rebelliousness?

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:07 pm

It seems that the most controversial music acts today are the Miley Cyrus types -- OK, maybe Lady Gaga pushes the envelope a little, but still in a plastic, corporate sort of way like Madonna used to do.

Whatever happened to true fuck-the-establishment, piss-off-the-old-people music? Has it been pushed underground, or has it always been there in the first place and just takes longer to get any recognition? Could a band like Sex Pistols ever get a number-1 album again?

In honor of true fuck-the-establishment, piss-off-the-old-people music:

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Whatever happened to rebelliousness? Empty Re: Whatever happened to rebelliousness?

Post by eddie Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:13 pm

The music industry are like sheep; they follow certain paths until they are told/dare to break out and then they all follow suit.

When I was writing music I had so many record companies say to me "love the voice and the lyrics.....could you put more angst in and sound like Avril Lavigne?"

Erm yes, but I'm NOT Avril Lavigne or an Avril Lavigne tribute act!!

When something is in fashion they just all follow suit. They are boring mindless robots and that's why music sounds so shite nowadays.
Not many write a decent lyric anymore.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Whatever happened to rebelliousness? Empty Re: Whatever happened to rebelliousness?

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:17 pm

eddie wrote:The music industry are like sheep; they follow certain paths until they are told/dare to break out and then they all follow suit.

When I was writing music I had so many record companies say to me "love the voice and the lyrics.....could you put more angst in and sound like Avril Lavigne?"

When something is in fashion they just all follow suit. They are boring mindless robots and that's why music sounds so shite nowadays.

There are a lot of really-not-well-known acts now that follow their muse, but I have grave doubts as to whether any will ever achieve much success. It seems like the music industry has always been torn between labels seeking out something new and labels just trying to cash in on the latest fad.

It seems also like corporate music tries to dictate tastes to the people rather than embracing emerging new music.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Oddly enough, Aimee Mann was asked to be more like Avril Lavigne too.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:The music industry are like sheep; they follow certain paths until they are told/dare to break out and then they all follow suit.

There are a lot of really-not-well-known acts now that follow their muse, but I have grave doubts as to whether any will ever achieve much success. It seems like the music industry has always been torn between labels seeking out something new and labels just trying to cash in on the latest fad.

It seems also like corporate music tries to dictate tastes to the people rather than embracing emerging new music.

Exactly your last sentence!! They like to tell us what they want us to listen to.
It's no secret that they put tins of money into some acts and then just drench the radio airwaves and the music channels with the acts they choose.

I think though, that the internet has made it far more possible to find new acts and get them heard.
Trouble is, even those acts get moulded into the shape that record companies want them to be.
Sadly, video really did kill the radio star.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 pm

lovedust wrote:

Same thing happened to Liz Phair, it was a real shame. I loved 'Exile in Guyville,' it actually inspired me to record my own songs back 500 years ago in my late teens.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
lovedust wrote:

Same thing happened to Liz Phair, it was a real shame. I loved 'Exile in Guyville,' it actually inspired me to record my own songs back 500 years ago in my late teens.

HAHAHAHAHA I'm waiting for,one of your crazy insomnia periods when you go a bit waffy like this  cyclops What a Face Question bounce  then I'm going to ask your to post your stuff up  Cool 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:16 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
lovedust wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA I'm waiting for,one of your crazy insomnia periods when you go a bit waffy like this  cyclops What a Face Question bounce  then I'm going to ask your to post your stuff up  Cool 

Maybe the day I'm ready to retire from the Internets!  ::D:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:12 am

What happened to rebelliousness....it was crushed out years ago by the liberalists progressives.
who now put black marks on 5 year olds school records. who shout wacist at every dissagreement, no matter how nebulous the concept. who brook NO argument about the validity of THEIR view. Who seek a world of grey amorphous
conformity to their view....what chance does rebelliousness have when someone who disagrees with the CONCEPT of "multiculturalism, and doubts it is working half as well as the "progressive" claims is labeled a hater and racist and then compared to the worst of the third reich.  ALL for merely challenging a concept???
rebelliousness Ben?...It has been hunted to extinction......

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:29 am

victorismyhero wrote:What happened to rebelliousness....it was crushed out years ago by the liberalists progressives.
who now put black marks on 5 year olds school records. who shout wacist at every dissagreement, no matter how nebulous the concept. who brook NO argument about the validity of THEIR view. Who seek a world of grey amorphous
conformity to their view....what chance does rebelliousness have when someone who disagrees with the CONCEPT of "multiculturalism, and doubts it is working half as well as the "progressive" claims is labeled a hater and racist and then compared to the worst of the third reich.  ALL for merely challenging a concept???

I was thinking about the points you made and decided that they're bullshit.

Rebelliousness is healthy when it pushes for positive social change, equality -- think feminism, gay rights, racial equality.

There's nothing rebellious about being a racist, a homophobe or a misogynist. Those are negative, regressive tendencies that are being buried with the dinosaurs where they belong.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:29 am

Oh, and thanks for dragging politics into this!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:37 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Oh, and thanks for dragging politics into this!

You are welcome...but isnt that what your OP inclines towards...the concept of rebelliousness cannot preclude politics...since thats what one would at the bottom line...rebel against...
i.e presumably the "established order of things"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:What happened to rebelliousness....it was crushed out years ago by the liberalists progressives.

Rebelliousness is healthy when it pushes for positive social change, equality -- think feminism, gay rights, racial equality.

There's nothing rebellious about being a racist, a homophobe or a misogynist. Those are negative, regressive tendencies that are being buried with the dinosaurs where they belong.

hmmm...I expected that....So challenging a mere "CONCEPT" as being either necessary or desirable is now racist etc? I must remember that....
America..the multicultural success...ask a sioux or a cherokee..... some of course we CANT ask......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:43 am

but I will say no more here

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:44 am

victorismyhero wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

hmmm...I expected that....So challenging a mere "CONCEPT" as being either necessary or desirable is now racist etc?  I must remember that....
America..the multicultural success...ask a sioux or a cherokee..... some of course we CANT ask......

Are you saying the U.S. has always tried (from the beginning of its history) to be a multiculture? Because that's sheer stupidity; everyone knows it began as a conquest.

Are you holding modern-day Americans as guilty for the sins of their ancestors?

://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:51 am

Well now since you ask ...why not,   Laughing  it seems to be a hobby over here...didge and his Ilk would hold US responsible for the sins of our colonial ancestors... ::dunno:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:47 am

You just seem to be saying that America can't be a successful muliculture today because of things that happened in our past. It can and it is -- come down and visit me and my black, Hispanic, white and Asian neighbors, who are Protestants, Catholics, Buddhists and atheists, and we'll show you how to have a successful multiculture without anybody having to change how they act, without any oppression of others, etc.

I don't know, maybe England's just a shit-magnet -- it certainly sounds like it to listen to some of you.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:29 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:You just seem to be saying that America can't be a successful muliculture today because of things that happened in our past. It can and it is -- come down and visit me and my black, Hispanic, white and Asian neighbors, who are Protestants, Catholics, Buddhists and atheists, and we'll show you how to have a successful multiculture without anybody having to change how they act, without any oppression of others, etc.

I don't know, maybe England's just a shit-magnet -- it certainly sounds like it to listen to some of you.

Yep Agreed according to Tommy and Victor

England Attracts many many times more shit than any other country, even though it only get less than half the proportion of immigrants of many places.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:32 am

well Disturbed is said to be Satanic lol

Last edited by groomsy on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:35 am

Even Kylie is getting in on it:

I must warn viewers that it has a parental advisory notice at the beginning!  Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:42 am

#1 The Animal

#2 Stricken

groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 am

Prayer
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:58 am

Another Way To Die

i know they're not rebellious really
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Guest wrote:What happened to rebelliousness....it was crushed out years ago by the liberalists progressives.

Thought we were taking about music???  Shocked 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:16 pm

eddie wrote:
Guest wrote:What happened to rebelliousness....it was crushed out years ago by the liberalists progressives.

Me too. What a difference a day makes.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:24 pm

lol! I go,away and all hell breaks loose man  afro 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:28 pm

well what do you call rebellious in music? mostly anything by Eminem early days kinda fit that fold

White America 2002
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Not sure really? I think anything with a true message could be classed as rebellious?

I think most music now is pretty blah.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:35 pm

lovedust wrote:
eddie wrote:

Me too. What a difference a day makes.

No shit! But nobody's going to convince me we're going to save loud guitar rock and the like by making it OK to be racist again.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Well in my day it was the Rolling Stones and Rock n Roll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Sassy wrote:Well in my day it was the Rolling Stones and Rock n Roll!

And they continue to inspire:

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:59 pm

I liked listening to their music, but watching them in person made me laugh. Mick Jagger looked like a demented chimpanzee!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Ok ! slightly off topic, but a couple of my fav'  protest songs.

And one just for Quill   Cool   ::smthg:: 

Last edited by Stephenmarra on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Takes me a while for vids to come up, so it took a while to get to the bottom one!  lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:51 pm

Shocked   Cool 

Twisted Evil  pirat 

Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down