NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It IS possible to be an elite athlete and a vegan

5 posters

Go down

It IS possible to be an elite athlete and a vegan Empty It IS possible to be an elite athlete and a vegan

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:02 am

A number of high-profile figures in sport do not eat animal products.

They include retired heavyweight boxer David Haye, tennis players Venus and Serena Williams, and footballer Jermain Defoe.

Now 28, Ross stopped eating animal products four years ago.

At first, he wasn't sure how he would replace the meat and dairy protein in his diet.

"When I did start I was very active - I've always been active - so straight away there was almost this belief - where do you get your protein from?

"That's the biggest question if you don't eat animals. Where are you going to get your essential amino acids from?"

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Dieticians say it can be people like Ross, making a sudden change in what they eat, who face the biggest challenges.

Emma Kinrade is a lecturer in nutrition and dietetics at Glasgow Caledonian University.

"It is harder if somebody completely switches what they eat," she says.

"If somebody has a lot of plant-based foods in their diet already and not much meat and fish it wouldn't be as hard.

"But if it's a complete switch from a low vegetable, low fruit, high meat diet, then it can be quite difficult."

She believes it is mainly a question of thinking carefully about food intake.

"A vegan would have to substitute getting protein from nuts and beans and pulses, and things like grains - quinoa, etc.

"It is absolutely possible to meet protein requirements. You just have to be a little bit more careful and also try to use milk substitutes - soya milk, rice milk, almond milk - things like that supply plant-based protein."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47959224

Have to say, the Williams sisters surprised me the most -- those women are really muscular.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

It IS possible to be an elite athlete and a vegan Empty Re: It IS possible to be an elite athlete and a vegan

Post by eddie Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:40 am

Wow. Who knew that if you eat sensibly, no matter what diet you follow, it’s possible to be healthy?

What a moment to consider our assumptions about what we choose to believe!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

It IS possible to be an elite athlete and a vegan Empty Re: It IS possible to be an elite athlete and a vegan

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:58 am

Smile

Are they truly "vegans", though ???

Or is the reporter simply an ignorant fool, unable to distinguish between vegetarian and genuine "vegans" ???

Do those mentioned own anything made from wool, leather, silk, pashmina, angora, cashmere, felts, bone, ivory,..

Do they consume honey, eggs, or fruit&vegetables fertilised with animal manures..

Do they keep any pets -- or invest in any businesses employing, farming or exploiting animals..

Do they ever go horseriding ?

Answer "Yes !" to any of those questions, and somebody isn't a genuine 'vegan'..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:05 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Smile

Are they truly "vegans",  though  ???

Or is the reporter simply an ignorant fool, unable to distinguish between vegetarian and genuine "vegans"  ???

Do those mentioned own anything made from wool, leather, silk, pashmina, angora, cashmere, felts, bone, ivory,..

Do they consume honey, eggs, or fruit&vegetables fertilised with animal manures..

Do they keep any pets --  or invest in any businesses employing, farming or exploiting animals..

Do they ever go horseriding  ?

Answer "Yes !" to any of those questions, and somebody isn't a genuine 'vegan'..

Perhaps they're lying about what they eat, but obviously keeping pets or owning wool has nothing to do with whether their diet is sufficient to sustain them as athletes.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:16 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Smile

Are they truly "vegans",  though  ???

Or is the reporter simply an ignorant fool, unable to distinguish between vegetarian and genuine "vegans"  ???

Do they keep any pets --  or invest in any businesses employing, farming or exploiting animals..

Do they ever go horseriding  ?

Perhaps you might have made the very same points on this thread:

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t26341-vegans-are-dropping-like-flies-they-need-meat

No....wait...you wouldn’t / couldn’t have because......

Because......

Erm...I’m hazarding a guess here....is it because that thread backs your beliefs and this one doesn’t?

Just a guess. I’m sure you’ll make yourself clear.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:22 am

Arrow

The defining difference between vegetarian and "vegan" is that true vegans are opposed to all animal 'exploitation'...

Simply eating a strict vegetarian diet (i.e. only plant-based foods..)  doesn't make a person "vegan".

Simply calling oneself "vegan" --  without following the underlying philosophy and ethos  --  doesn't make a person "vegan".
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:56 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Arrow

The defining difference between vegetarian and "vegan" is that true vegans are opposed to all animal 'exploitation'...

Simply eating a strict vegetarian diet (i.e. only plant-based foods..)  doesn't make a person "vegan".

Simply calling oneself "vegan" --  without following the underlying philosophy and ethos  --  doesn't make a person "vegan".

What has any of that, got to do with these athlete’s diets, Wolf, and the fact that you’re missing the point (on purpose or accidentally) really badly?

Ps if it’s accidentally then perhaps you should rethink your reading skills and if it’s on purpose then you should rethink your ego to be right.

Again, I urge you to look at the thread “vegans dropping like flies!” (Aka “about two got a bit unwell”)  and wonder to yourself..

“Self? Was a I a teensy bit biased on the ‘Vegans are dying!’ thread? And furthermore...has eddie’s post gone way over my head?” scratch

Pps: “is eddie a vegan or a vegetarian? She’s told me her views many times but sometimes I choose to forget these things”

You can’t help it. It IS possible to be an elite athlete and a vegan 1942856362
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:32 am

pirat

My "point" is quite simple...

People misrepresenting vegetarian diets as "vegan" might be simply ignorant, wannabes/fashionistas, scamsters, plain old fashioned liars..

What they aren't being, is in anyway honest.

It IS possible to be an elite athlete and a vegan 3922118137
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:53 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:pirat

My "point" is quite simple...

People misrepresenting vegetarian diets as "vegan" might be simply ignorant, wannabes/fashionistas, scamsters, plain old fashioned liars..

What they aren't being,  is in anyway honest.

It IS possible to be an elite athlete and a vegan 3922118137

Yes, but it's not the point of the thread. The thread is about diet and whether or not it's possible to eat as a vegan and still be healthy and strong.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Her love for tacos, sweet victory indulges and more tacos are all compiled into one big spread on her Instagram feed but William’s does follow a strict diet. It may not be vegan, but it’s healthy nonetheless.

She has been on a special diet for several years after contracting Sjoegren’s syndrome, a rare autoimmune disorder that causes fatigue and joint pain and, therefore, requires a strict diet.

During tournaments, the tennis star remains more disciplined about what she eats. “I think generally during a tournament I eat a lot cleaner,” the top seed said. “I don’t really eat tons of meats or you know, usually stick to more fish.”

https://www.hungryforever.com/wanted-go-vegan-minute-couldnt-quite-give-chicken-serena-williams-veganism-food/
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Sjogren's syndrome is a condition whereby the moisture-producing glands don't work properly, and it's not particularly rare. There's no special diet which necessarily controls it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:28 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Sjogren's syndrome is a condition whereby the moisture-producing glands don't work properly, and it's not particularly rare. There's no special diet which necessarily controls it.

That's probably why Ms Williams conversion to veganism was short lived.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down