NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I see you have changed a thread title

4 posters

Go down

I see you have changed a thread title Empty I see you have changed a thread title

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:40 pm

Which was perfectly ok. The black thug said he was a thug because he was black. What is your problem?

Can you not debate serious issues openly?

Back to top Go down

I see you have changed a thread title Empty Re: I see you have changed a thread title

Post by eddie Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 pm

What you on about Andy?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

I see you have changed a thread title Empty Re: I see you have changed a thread title

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:22 am

Yeah, Andy's post "Teenager Attacks 2 in Just 3 Days, Blames Behavior on Being a 'Young Black Male'" had its headline changed (which I also noted in the first post in an edit) because the original one called the young black man a "thug," which is a fairly egregious racial slur here in the U.S. when used in that sense:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/richard-sherman-is-right-thug-is-the-new-n-world.html

I think the new headline: "Teenager Attacks 2 in Just 3 Days, Blames Behavior on Being a 'Young Black Male'" is just as shocking as Andy was going for without being racially insensitive.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:34 am

Richard Sherman Should STFU and get on with his life.  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

Thug means criminal/violent predisposition, I have been called a "Westie Thug" most my bloody life... and it is true enough that I don't protest  pirat pirat pirat pirat pirat 

Bloody Whingers as deterimental to freedom as Racists. Take Pride in who you are, Like the saying goes "Sticks and Stones will break their bones, so gives a fuck what the dipshits say."
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:53 am

Just Drap it Andy, I've told that racism ain't good chief, come on man, Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Yeah, Andy's post "Teenager Attacks 2 in Just 3 Days, Blames Behavior on Being a 'Young Black Male'" had its headline changed (which I also noted in the first post in an edit) because the original one called the young black man a "thug," which is a fairly egregious racial slur here in the U.S. when used in that sense:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/richard-sherman-is-right-thug-is-the-new-n-world.html

I think the new headline: "Teenager Attacks 2 in Just 3 Days, Blames Behavior on Being a 'Young Black Male'" is just as shocking as Andy was going for without being racially insensitive.

Wrong - the thug (he was convicted for being one) claimed he beat up more than one innocent person "because he is a young black male".

In my opinion, and i'm sure everybody else here would agree, it is a pathetic excuse, so I asked the question - "are young black males born to be thugs" - some of them like to use it as an excuse to go around robbing and beating others.

The real question is can Ben and his forum tackle these questions.

It seems not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 am

thug [thuhg] Show IPA

noun

a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

( sometimes initial capital letter ) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1800–10; < Hindi thag literally, rouge,cheat

Related forms
thug·ger·y [thuhg-uh-ree] Show IPA , noun

thug·gish, adjective .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Have to disagree Andy. Ben clearly stated why he removed the word, it may not be offensive to us but it is to him so thats fine. We now know not to use it. The same as Ben didnt find Nazi offensive but banned it because we did.
Its his forum, he has been very accommodating to us and in return we need to integrate!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 pm

NemsAgain wrote:Have to disagree Andy. Ben clearly stated why he removed the word, it may not be offensive to us but it is to him so thats fine. We now know not to use it. The same as Ben didnt find Nazi offensive but banned it because we did.
Its his forum, he has been very accommodating to us and in return we need to integrate!

I agree with that, Nems. Come on, Andy...cut him a bit of slack on this one. Ben was, in my opinion, very fair in his decision over the use of the word nazi, not having fully appreciated that it has a somewhat different connotation in the USA to those of us who had the real Nazis on their doorstep and are still able to remember how their evil actually affected our day-to-day lives.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:Have to disagree Andy. Ben clearly stated why he removed the word, it may not be offensive to us but it is to him so thats fine. We now know not to use it. The same as Ben didnt find Nazi offensive but banned it because we did.

I agree with that, Nems. Come on, Andy...cut him a bit of slack on this one. Ben was, in my opinion, very fair in his decision over the use of the word nazi, not having fully appreciated that it has a somewhat different connotation in the USA to those of us  who had the real Nazis on their doorstep and are still able to remember how their evil actually affected our day-to-day lives.

What Ben should have done was got on to me, explained what was wrong and asked me to change it.

I have now changed it to something I find suitable. I'm sure Ben will too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down