NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Do you want men to be weak spineless sobbing wrecks?' Piers Morgan slams Gillette's new #MeToo-inspired ad and says brand has gone from 'celebrating fabulous masculine qualities' to 'portraying them as evil'

+4
Ben Reilly
HoratioTarr
Syl
Maddog
8 posters

Go down

'Do you want men to be weak spineless sobbing wrecks?' Piers Morgan slams Gillette's new #MeToo-inspired ad and says brand has gone from 'celebrating fabulous masculine qualities' to 'portraying them as evil' Empty 'Do you want men to be weak spineless sobbing wrecks?' Piers Morgan slams Gillette's new #MeToo-inspired ad and says brand has gone from 'celebrating fabulous masculine qualities' to 'portraying them as evil'

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Piers Morgan launched a furious rant at a controversial 'virtue signalling, PC grade nonsense' new advert from Gillette this morning after the brand had a major advertising overhaul.  Yesterday, Gillette launched its new advert which advised men to end 'toxic masculinity' with an ad challenging bad behaviour by males.

The advert shows a man talking over a woman in a boardroom, boys fighting and grown men ignoring them saying 'boys will be boys' and men wolf whistling at women without being countered by their peers.  At the end of the advert it shows good examples of behaviour, with men being corrected for their actions. In just one day 197,000 'disliked' the advert on YouTube and men vowed to boycott the product.

The Good Morning Britain host was livid the P&G brand known for its 'the best a man can get' slogan was advising men how to behave, saying 'most men are good guys'.

He said: 'Men these days don't know what the hell they're doing all the qualities that were good in men are being portrayed as evil.

'Gillette used to celebrate fabulous masculine qualities, now the presumption is we are all horrible people. They have changed their tone from celebration of masculinity.

'This is not being driven by most women. It's being driven by radical feminist who don't like masculinity.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6593045/Piers-Morgan-slams-Gillettes-controversial-new-ad-says-brand-portraying-men-evil.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6591021/Gillette-challenges-men-end-toxic-masculinity-MeToo-inspired-ad.html

Love what Gad Saad had to say on this

Back to top Go down

'Do you want men to be weak spineless sobbing wrecks?' Piers Morgan slams Gillette's new #MeToo-inspired ad and says brand has gone from 'celebrating fabulous masculine qualities' to 'portraying them as evil' Empty Re: 'Do you want men to be weak spineless sobbing wrecks?' Piers Morgan slams Gillette's new #MeToo-inspired ad and says brand has gone from 'celebrating fabulous masculine qualities' to 'portraying them as evil'

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Imagine someone doing a commerical video that challenges Muslims to end Islamic terrorism? Claiming only some Muslims behave the right way?

Or a commerical video that challenges Arabs, to end homophobia, sexism, antisemitism etc in the Middle East? Claiming only some Arabs  behave the right way?

Can you imagine the outcry?

Back to top Go down

'Do you want men to be weak spineless sobbing wrecks?' Piers Morgan slams Gillette's new #MeToo-inspired ad and says brand has gone from 'celebrating fabulous masculine qualities' to 'portraying them as evil' Empty Re: 'Do you want men to be weak spineless sobbing wrecks?' Piers Morgan slams Gillette's new #MeToo-inspired ad and says brand has gone from 'celebrating fabulous masculine qualities' to 'portraying them as evil'

Post by Maddog Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Yeah, I watched the video.  I dont like being preached to like that.  

There seems to be a growing message out there that males are  a root cause of problems in society.  

Perhaps that's why the male suicide rate continues to rise?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Maddog wrote:Yeah, I watched the video.  I dont like being preached to like that.  

There seems to be a growing message out there that males are  a root cause of problems in society.  

Indeed mate and its patronizing, when many men (including myself) already stand for the equality of women. Its stemming from radical feminists and low and beyold, this video was produced by a radical feminist

What any of this had to with shaving is beyond me.

Here is the Morning debate on this

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Maddog wrote:Yeah, I watched the video.  I dont like being preached to like that.  

I watched the video, and to be honest I think he greatly exaggerates the way men are treated in society.
It's incomparable the say there is institutional sexism against men the same way as there has been against women, and he repeatedly used the phrase 'diseased being' to describe the way boys are thought of, which is ridiculous.
My family is filled with son's, grandsons, grandads, fathers, and husbands.
I dont think any of them have felt they have been trodden down just because they have been born male.

The actual ad is pretty ridiculous too, no doubt Gillette have jumped on the 'me too' movement to try to ingratiate itself  with the movement and it's supports.
Personally I think they have shot themselves in the foot. Rolling Eyes

I get your last sentence. Men do have their own stresses and depressions, bottling things up has always been a male thing, maybe an ad encouraging men to talk rather than preaching about how they should act socially would have been a better move IF they think it's their job to preach...which it isn't really.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Syl wrote:

I watched the video, and to be honest I think he greatly exaggerates the way men are treated in society.
It's incomparable the say there is institutional sexism against men the same way as there has been against women, and he repeatedly used the phrase 'diseased being' to describe the way boys are thought of, which is ridiculous.
I dont think any of them have felt they have been trodden down just because they have been born male.

The actual ad is pretty ridiculous too, no doubt Gillette have jumped on the 'me too' movement to try to ingratiate itself  with the movement and it's supports.

I get your last sentence. Men do have their own stresses and depressions, bottling things up has always been a male thing, maybe an ad encouraging men to talk rather than preaching about how they should act socially would have been a better move IF they think it's their job to preach...which it isn't really.

Men have always killed themselves at higher rates, but while we are more in tune with mental health than ever, the rate is higher than ever.

I'm not depressed or suicidal, but I'm definitely confused at times as to what being a male means anymore.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:57 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Men have always killed themselves at higher rates, but while we are more in tune with mental health than ever, the rate is higher than ever.

I'm not depressed or suicidal, but I'm definitely confused at times as to what being a male means anymore.    

I'm sure you do OK. Equally sure you dont need a company flogging razor blades to tell you how to act and how not to act in order to be a man.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Why Gillette's New Ad Campaign Is Toxic:

So where did Gillette go wrong here? I think there are three main points to be made:

1) While corporate social responsibility appeals can be effective, corporations must be sensitive to the potential of consumers being skeptical of their motives, or not wanting to be told how to behave by a profit-motivated company.

The persuasion knowledge model popularized by Marian Friestad and Peter Wright suggests that people are aware of the persuasive intent of advertising, with the ultimate goal typically being to increase product sales. In this context, people hold some skepticism towards advertiser motives to being with. However, the real issue with the “Best a Man Can Be” from the point of view of its critics is that many men don’t think they need a corporation (especially one they are buying products from) telling them what it is to be masculine or to scolding them for not doing enough to address an issue.

Pankaj Bhalla, Gillette’s North American brand director is quoted by CNN as saying "We expected debate. Actually a discussion is necessary. If we don't discuss and don't talk about it, I don't think real change will happen.” It is not difficult to see how many men would find it presumptuous of Gillette to portray itself as a leader or role mode in masculinity, as opposed to influential others in their own lives such as clergy, fathers, mothers, and teachers. Moreover, many men would argue that there is no "debate" over the morality of the behaviors depicted in ad.

2. The creative in the “Best a Man Can Be” could be more effective if delivered differently

As is eloquently argued by fellow Forbes contributor Kim Elsesser, consumer behavior theory popularized by Robert Cialdini holds that people are motivated to fit in by gaining approval and avoiding disapproval. Approval is often related to fitting in with social norms. As Elsesser points out that while the ad clearly disapproves of the bad behaviors it depicts, it simultaneously suggests that most men engage in these behaviors. It follows that to fit in, or to be “masculine,” one would seek approval by engaging in those behaviors engaged in by a majority of the groups – not the “some men” that is “not enough” in the opinion of Gillette. Ultimately this is a mixed message that Cialdini's theory would argue is confusing and makes it unclear to a young male what the message about being masculine and fitting in really is.

3) Politically charged language should be avoided by advertisers

The use of the term “toxic masculinity” in the ad was a flat out mistake. While only mentioned quickly and briefly, the use of this term, which many men associate with a one-sided critique and stereotype of an entire gender. Regardless of how much some without marketing backgrounds would like to believe that companies taking political stances on is okay, alienating a substantial proportion of the target audience is never a good thing. Michael Jordan’s statement that he did not want to engage in political commentary because “Republicans buy shoes too,”remains wise thinking. Regardless of which political party or group may be alienated, it is simply bad marketing practice to offend significant numbers of your own consumers.

The shame of all of this is that Gillette surely could have devised a campaign focusing on positive encouragement of good behaviors without making sweeping generalizations about men and what it is to be masculine. The brand could have taken a lesson from the famous “Always: Like a Girl” Super Bowl ad from 2015 which delivered an almost universally well received message about female empowerment in a positive way. As it stands “The Best a Man Can Be” managed to unnecessarily alienate many of the companies customers, including many good men who largely agree with the underlying issues addressed in the ad.

While Gillette has a chance to modify the campaign and recover if it admits a mistake and makes some modifications, if it continues down the current path this campaign will be remembered as nothing short of an all-time marketing blunder.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/charlesrtaylor/2019/01/15/why-gillettes-new-ad-campaign-is-toxic/#13a9c59e5bc9

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Syl wrote:

Men do seem to process emotions differently. Men and women process and deal with stress and problem solving differently too. What's wrong with that?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:44 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

Men do seem to process emotions differently.    Men and women process and deal with stress and problem solving differently too.  What's wrong with that?

A problem shared is a problem halved....so true. I can bore everyone else to death with a problem and feel great afterwards, even if they dont. Razz
Men so often bottle things up....it's not good for them, they also are not as ready to admit they have a medical problem and seek medical help, often till it's too late.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Men do seem to process emotions differently.    Men and women process and deal with stress and problem solving differently too.  What's wrong with that?

A problem shared is a problem halved....so true. I can bore everyone else to death with a problem and feel great afterwards, even if they dont. Razz
Men so often bottle things up....it's not good for them, they also are not as ready to admit they have a medical problem and seek medical help, often till it's too late.

I don't want a man who behaves like a woman, thanks very much.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:08 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

I don't want a man who behaves like a woman, thanks very much.

Neither do I...I may just tweak them a bit here or there, nothing too drastic. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Women who use Gillette products have blasted the shaving company for sexism for marketing pink razors called Venus to female users - just hours after its campaign to tackle 'toxic masculinity' divided the nation.

Consumers blasted the global company and accused it of double standards over its branding which include the Passion and Embrace range.

Others even suggested the female-targeted products cost more on average than the male equivalent the Mach3 razor.

Skincare Caroline Hirons said: 'If Gillette really want to make a change perhaps they could start by looking at their pink 'Venus' range for women' and suggested their range costs more than the like for like male versions.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6595131/Now-women-say-Gillette-sexist-too.html

Clearly not a good day for Gillette. They have single handedly, pissed off both men and women all in one day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

A good woman could help you out with that. 'Do you want men to be weak spineless sobbing wrecks?' Piers Morgan slams Gillette's new #MeToo-inspired ad and says brand has gone from 'celebrating fabulous masculine qualities' to 'portraying them as evil' 1366281442
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:23 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Maddog wrote:

A good woman could help you out with that. 'Do you want men to be weak spineless sobbing wrecks?' Piers Morgan slams Gillette's new #MeToo-inspired ad and says brand has gone from 'celebrating fabulous masculine qualities' to 'portraying them as evil' 1366281442

There is something to that. I'm pretty sure the good ones are smart enough to steer clear of me though. tongue

But, for the most part, I don't really have issues with females that I spend time with in person. There are handful that find me sexist or some "ist", but for the most part, the women around here are cool with a guy being a bit old school. Not so old school, that I think they are some sort of inferior creature, but "door opening, polite, respectful but with a mischievous grin at times" kinda fellow.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:35 pm

Maddog wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

There is something to that. I'm pretty sure the good ones are smart enough to steer clear of me though. tongue

But, for the most part, I don't really have issues with females that I spend time with in person. There are handful that find me sexist or some "ist", but for the most part, the women around here are cool with a guy being a bit old school. Not so old school, that I think they are some sort of inferior creature, but "door opening, polite, respectful but with a mischievous grin at times" kinda fellow.        

I should think that the majority of women, the ones who dont have huge chips on their shouders that is, welcome old school politeness and humour.
People are expected to be so damned pc now, but who makes the rules?
The minority who shout the loudest?
My OH is old school, he calls women 'love' a lot, he will hold doors and chairs out for us, he always waits till female friends are safely inside their house before he drives off...little stuff like that is ingrained in him. If some women find that sexist, well....tough, I doubt he will be changing any time soon.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:54 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

nor ask for directions if lost

nor ask where something is in a supermarket

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 am

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

Rolling Eyes

That's what I mean, they're nearly all the same. That's not something that's learned, it's innate.

OH: Where's the butter!
Me: In the fridge.
OH: Where in the fridge?
Me: Top shelf
OH: I can't see it!
Me: It's there. Top shelf. Right hand side. Look for it.
OH: It's not here!
Me: It fucking is!
OH: You must have used it all.
Me: If I've got to come out there!
OH: I'm telling you, it's not here!

Footsteps as I stomp out to the kitchen. Open Fridge Door. Butter in full view on Top shelf...one corner slightly hidden by a tub of olives.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:40 am

That's me to a "T" !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:46 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
gelico wrote:

Rolling Eyes

That's what  I mean, they're nearly all the same.  That's not something that's learned, it's innate.

OH:  Where's the butter!
Me: In the fridge.
OH: Where in the fridge?
Me: Top shelf
OH: I can't see it!
Me: It's there.  Top shelf. Right hand side.  Look for it.
OH: It's not here!
Me: It fucking is!
OH: You must have used it all.
Me: If I've got to come out there!
OH: I'm telling you, it's not here!

Footsteps as I stomp out to the kitchen.  Open Fridge Door.  Butter in full view on Top shelf...one corner slightly hidden by a tub of olives.

It's called a man look. Razz
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Never ask a man to multitask, it's not in their genes to be able to.
Seriously, my OH cannot talk and fasten his shoes at the same time, if you dont believe that, try asking your man a question next time he is tying his shoes...he will stop THEN answer. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:01 pm

If I'm talking on the Phone and some one in the House tries to talk to m I have to wave at them to shut up, I can't follow two conversations at the same time. My wife can !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:03 pm

nicko wrote:If I'm talking on the Phone and some one in the House tries to talk to m I have to wave at them to shut up, I can't follow two conversations at the same time.     My wife can !

I can barely follow one conversation these days. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 pm

nicko wrote:If I'm talking on the Phone and some one in the House tries to talk to m I have to wave at them to shut up, I can't follow two conversations at the same time.     My wife can !

My OH is exactly the same...I suspect it's typical.

I dont know whether there is any medical evidence to prove that men simply cant multi task like a woman can, but it is a fact.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:39 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

I can barely follow one conversation these days.  Laughing

lol! same here

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Syl wrote:
nicko wrote:If I'm talking on the Phone and someone in the House tries to talk to m I have to wave at them to shut up, I can't follow two conversations at the same time.     My wife can !

I dont know whether there is any medical evidence to prove that men simply cant multi task like a woman can, but it is a fact.

I can't multitask either though. I can flit from one thing to another but I can't do two things at once.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

I can't multitask either though. I can flit from one thing to another but I can't do two things at once.

You'd be no good cooking a Chinese banquet then!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:25 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You'd be no good cooking a Chinese banquet then!

I'm not very good at cooking anything. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Flitting is a more important skill than multi-tasking.  Multi-tasking only takes muscle-memory, and not real thought.  Flitting takes stopping, and starting on another path...brain has to be engaged to flit.  Think: stacking tasks. Most good managers can flit really well.

Most people wanna stop and go blank at the end of a task...hence, the ability to reengage is pretty impressive.  To your credit, Raggs.

Just saying...

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:31 am

sunny

"Old mate" from Newie commented on this Gillette fiasco, in one of his as-usual edifying and pointed YouTube videos :

https://youtu.be/0QT5iwkPRbU
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down