NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excess winter deaths highest since 1970s, says ONS

4 posters

Go down

Excess winter deaths highest since 1970s, says ONS Empty Excess winter deaths highest since 1970s, says ONS

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:19 pm

There were around 50,100 excess winter deaths in England and Wales in 2017-18 - the highest since the winter of 1975-76, figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

The increase is thought to be down to the flu, the ineffectiveness of the flu vaccine in older people and spells of very cold weather last winter.

Most excess deaths occurred in women and the over-85s.

Similar peaks in excess deaths have been seen in previous years.

Before the 2017-18 peak in excess winter deaths, there were peaks in 2014-15 and 1999-2000.

An extra 6,000 deaths are estimated to have occurred during last winter compared with three years ago.

Despite more people over 65 getting a flu jab, the vaccine was more effective in younger people and could explain why flu had a greater impact on elderly people, the ONS said.

This year, it is hoped that an enhanced flu vaccine for elderly people should perform better.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46399090?ns_source=twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_campaign=bbcnews
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Excess winter deaths highest since 1970s, says ONS Empty Re: Excess winter deaths highest since 1970s, says ONS

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Most people who died were over 85? Do they expect people to live forever?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Excess winter deaths highest since 1970s, says ONS Empty Re: Excess winter deaths highest since 1970s, says ONS

Post by Vintage Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:45 pm

If there's a higher than average birth rate in two or three years surely you might have a year when the death rate would be higher because of the extra ( for want of a better word) people from those years dying.
If that makes sense.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:56 pm

I don't mind dying, it's the manner of it that worries me. I'v had a good life, seen and done many, many things, some bad, but mostly good, saved lives, and taken them, I'm ready to go, sooner the better !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:48 pm

Most deaths occurred in women and the over 85s. What age were these women then?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:55 pm

I think there is one major factor leading to the increase of deaths and it has nothing to do with the flu jab.

It has everything to do with the elderly, more so women it seems, living on their own, afraid to put on their heating due to costs.

That is what I think is the major factor here nd why a number at this age are thus more vunerable to becoming ill, living in such cold conditions. They place themselves at risk, due to a fear of not being able to pay heating bills.

Its more about phschology here, as there is winter fuel payments for the elderly

So I could be wrong, but I think some when older, become that much in fear over costs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:01 pm

More than a third died of pneumonia. I had pneumonia not long back which was the result of an additional infection on top of a viral infection - not flu though. Being cold doesn't give you flu, but I guess it could lower the immune system so you're more likely to get flu if you encounter the flu virus?

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:More than a third died of pneumonia. I had pneumonia not long back which was the result of an additional infection on top of a viral infection - not flu though. Being cold doesn't give you flu, but I guess it could lower the immune system so you're more likely to get flu if you encounter the flu virus?

What is the potential to survive at your age, compared to someone over 85 with pnuemonia?

To me many of the elderly place themselves at risk, due a to fear of putting on the heating. Through a view they cannot afford.

If the heating is not on and with age, their immune system is not as strong as somone younger. Than they are that much higher percentage wise of dying from pnuemonia. The flu jab is important but does not make people completely immune, as the flu virus, continually mutates. It means, you can certainly protect a large number of people, but those in the weakest bracket. Will still remain vunerable

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:47 pm

I've always thought that being cold, or going out in cold and damp weather makes a cold worse, or even makes it more likely that you'll get one. I have no evidence but it's been my experience anyway. It didn't apply to me getting pneumonia because it wasn't cold at the time, but generally I think that those who do get a flu or a cold should stay at home in the warm.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I've always thought that being cold, or going out in cold and damp weather makes a cold worse, or even makes it more likely that you'll get one. I have no evidence but it's been my experience anyway. It didn't apply to me getting pneumonia because it wasn't cold at the time, but generally I think that those who do get a flu or a cold should stay at home in the warm.

I agree on your point they should stay at home, thus helping to prevent the spread of a cold of flu. Obviously there is more people can do, but here its no surprise to me that is. That the elderly are more at risk, when they do not keep themselves warm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down