NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert

+5
Syl
Raggamuffin
Ben Reilly
nicko
eddie
9 posters

Go down

Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert Empty Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert

Post by eddie Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert

Brexit will “take Britain back to the 1970s” and nothing good can ever come of it, a former Bank of England policymaker said today.

Adam Posen, who sat on the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee from 2009 to 2012, said Brexit “is going to be an ongoing source of chronic pain for the UK for many years”.

Speaking from Frankfurt, Mr Posen said Brexit would be “very, unquestionably bad, but still not be terminal”, and compared Britain outside the EU to a patient with arthritis.

“It is going to put the UK in many ways back to where it was in the 1970s and early 1980s. Being uncompetitive, people having less faith in the stability of the regime,” he said in an interview with Bloomberg.

Mr Posen said Britain faces stagflation, a situation of stagnant economic growth with rapidly rising prices faced in the late 1970s. The spiral of increasing prices reduced the value of people’s wages and led to dozens of strikes, repeated power cuts and a three-day working week during what became known as the winter of discontent.

Talking about how the UK’s economy will look in 10 years’ time, he said: Of course, the economy will survive, the City will survive in a smaller state – but will the average person in Britain be worse off economically? Yes.”

Asked whether there was anything positive about Britain’s looming exit from the European Union, Mr Posen replied, “No”.

In the run-up to the vote, the American economist warned that Brexit was “delusional fantasy”.

The EU will also suffer, Mr Posen said, because of the end of a mutually beneficial relationship but the UK, as the smaller partner, will inevitably suffer more.

More: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-britain-uk-economy-back-to-1970s-chronic-pain-adam-posen-bank-of-england-a7384336.html
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert Empty Re: Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert

Post by nicko Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:03 pm

I,d like to go back !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert Empty Re: Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert

Post by Guest Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:29 pm

I prefer the 1960s - the girls looked prettier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:32 pm

I see the UK rejoining the EU eventually -- within, say, 10-15 years from now.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:55 pm

If it ain't working by then that will be an option, I would hope.

In the meantime, I'm back in the '70's so Ima gonna shake ma booty one more time!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:48 pm

nicko wrote:I,d like to go back !

Me too nicko. The '70s were great! Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:51 pm

Ziz wrote:I prefer the 1960s - the girls looked prettier.

Me too....just entering my teens and life was very uncomplicated back then...plus the music was brilliant.
Girls were probably prettier to you because you had just discovered them ....unless you are a lot older than I think. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:55 pm

Syl wrote:
Ziz wrote:I prefer the 1960s - the girls looked prettier.

Me too....just entering my teens and life was very uncomplicated back then...plus the music was brilliant.
Girls were probably prettier to you because you had just discovered them ....unless you are a lot older than I think. Razz

I think it was the fashion more than anything else - clean simple lines - alluring because it didn't scream at you. The 70s and 80s were ugly by comparison.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:07 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

I think it was the fashion more than anything else - clean simple lines - alluring because it didn't scream at you.  The 70s and 80s were ugly by comparison.

60's fashions always seem to be making comebacks....mini's, maxi's, hot pants (I hated them though) the Mary Quant haircuts, black and white geometric dresses....they still look great when worn today.

I agree with you Ziz.....compared to the 60's other decades don't match up.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:20 pm

Syl wrote:
Ziz wrote:

I think it was the fashion more than anything else - clean simple lines - alluring because it didn't scream at you.  The 70s and 80s were ugly by comparison.

60's fashions always seem to be making comebacks....mini's, maxi's, hot pants (I hated them though) the Mary Quant haircuts, black and white geometric dresses....they still look great when worn today.

Maxi dresses and hot pants were hideous - but the Quant/Sassoon inspired look was great. Actually, my favourite era for women's fashion is the 30s/40s but that's for another time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:14 am

Raggamuffin wrote:

Come to think of it, that was pre-Internet, so count me in as well Twisted Evil
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:57 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Come to think of it, that was pre-Internet, so count me in as well Twisted Evil

What??? And never have met some of this wonderful lot?? Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:47 am

eddie wrote:Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert

Brexit will “take Britain back to the 1970s” and nothing good can ever come of it, a former Bank of England policymaker said today.

Adam Posen, who sat on the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee from 2009 to 2012, said Brexit “is going to be an ongoing source of chronic pain for the UK for many years”.

Speaking from Frankfurt, Mr Posen said Brexit would be “very, unquestionably bad, but still not be terminal”, and compared Britain outside the EU to a patient with arthritis.

“It is going to put the UK in many ways back to where it was in the 1970s and early 1980s. Being uncompetitive, people having less faith in the stability of the regime,” he said in an interview with Bloomberg.

Mr Posen said Britain faces stagflation, a situation of stagnant economic growth with rapidly rising prices faced in the late 1970s. The spiral of increasing prices reduced the value of people’s wages and led to dozens of strikes, repeated power cuts and a three-day working week during what became known as the winter of discontent.

Talking about how the UK’s economy will look in 10 years’ time, he said: Of course, the economy will survive, the City will survive in a smaller state – but will the average person in Britain be worse off economically? Yes.”

Asked whether there was anything positive about Britain’s looming exit from the European Union, Mr Posen replied, “No”.

In the run-up to the vote, the American economist warned that Brexit was “delusional fantasy”.

The EU will also suffer, Mr Posen said, because of the end of a mutually beneficial relationship but the UK, as the smaller partner, will inevitably suffer more.

More: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-britain-uk-economy-back-to-1970s-chronic-pain-adam-posen-bank-of-england-a7384336.html
yes, experts have been so right about this so far haven't they
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:47 am

Ben Reilly wrote:I see the UK rejoining the EU eventually -- within, say, 10-15 years from now.
very few people see the EU surviving that long
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:43 am

Back to a time where we are not subservient to the eu is a good thing... that would be before 1973 when thd single European Act gave away uk supremacy to the eu rules...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:45 am

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

Maxi dresses and hot pants were hideous - but the Quant/Sassoon inspired look was great. Actually, my favourite era for women's fashion is the 30s/40s but that's for another time.

sunny

IF YOU TWO dinosaurs were to visit certain coastal-centric places with large beach cultures (e.g. Australia, California, Florida..) you could find that such things as mini skirts, shorts, short dresses, sandals and flip-flops/thongs never disappeared...

They have been an enduring constant since the mid-1960s, as other fashions waxed and waned..

Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert 1530246098
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:17 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Ziz wrote:

sunny

IF YOU TWO dinosaurs were to visit certain coastal-centric places with large beach cultures (e.g. Australia, California, Florida..) you could find that such things as mini skirts, shorts, short dresses, sandals and flip-flops/thongs never disappeared...

They have been an enduring constant since the mid-1960s, as other fashions waxed and waned..

Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert 1530246098

Too warm - prefer Dinoland. Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert Sweatingbullets.gif.eccbcf8e677b900c9d7fa17bbb3ca407

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:53 pm

"...421 out of 574 English and Welsh Westminster
constituencies probably voted to Leave..."

https://medium.com/@chrishanretty/the-eu-referendum-how-did-westminster-constituencies-vote-283c85cd20e1#.peh1khjie

Laughing

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:46 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I see the UK rejoining the EU eventually -- within, say, 10-15 years from now.
very few people see the EU surviving that long

True, all of Europe including UK is up for economic Conquest. Weak and Wounded it is just waitinjg for the fatal blow.

I Can't see the Uncivilized barbaians being left to Squander such high grade land while day dreaming of back when they where strong.

Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert 2190311264
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down