NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bodyweight training - better results, no gym fees

+3
eddie
Raggamuffin
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Go down

Bodyweight training - better results, no gym fees Empty Bodyweight training - better results, no gym fees

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:15 pm

In the interest of not ripping off this entire article, I've trimmed down each of the five points made:

The value of bodyweight exercise – using your own body as resistance instead of machines or equipment – is often underestimated. But Virgin Active’s National Product Development Manager, Ceri Hannan, says that bodyweight exercise has stood the test of time as an effective stand-alone workout or as an integral part of health club classes.

Ceri highlights the key benefits of working with your own bodyweight:

1. High output, low investment. The main benefit of bodyweight training is to build strength without investing hours of time a week.

2. Better balance and flexibility. Relying on only your body to workout also improves balance and flexibility.

3. Control and variety. Many strength training or cardio routines can get feel monotonous but with bodyweight training, you’re completely in control of your routine.

4. Anywhere anytime. Another plus is that bodyweight training requires no special equipment or training gear.

5. Keeping it lean. The short bursts of exercise that make up a bodyweight routine have been proven to help with weight loss more effectively than long cardio sessions.

https://www.bona.co.za/5-benefits-of-bodyweight-training/

Last edited by *THE Ben Reilly* on Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Bodyweight training - better results, no gym fees Empty Re: Bodyweight training - better results, no gym fees

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:18 pm

I've always thought it was a more natural way to exercise, but I still can't be bothered with it. Isn't just being active enough? After all, our ancestors didn't bother with all that stuff did they? Bodyweight training - better results, no gym fees 3143589420
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Bodyweight training - better results, no gym fees Empty Re: Bodyweight training - better results, no gym fees

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I've always thought it was a more natural way to exercise, but I still can't be bothered with it. Isn't just being active enough? After all, our ancestors didn't bother with all that stuff did they? Bodyweight training - better results, no gym fees 3143589420

Heck yeah, they did. There was an ancient man, I think they said he must have lived 10,000 ago, who froze on a mountainside and was very well preserved. They said he was in his 40s and had the body of one of today's elite athletes.

EDIT - Okay no, they probably didn't exercise the way we do today, but that's just because they led a physically demanding life, which kept them in shape just by living it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Your body is designed to move, it’s designed to be made of muscle, not fat. Being fat isn’t good for you.

Movement keeps everything ticking over, without it, all sorts of problems start.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:30 pm

*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I've always thought it was a more natural way to exercise, but I still can't be bothered with it. Isn't just being active enough? After all, our ancestors didn't bother with all that stuff did they? Bodyweight training - better results, no gym fees 3143589420

Heck yeah, they did. There was an ancient man, I think they said he must have lived 10,000 ago, who froze on a mountainside and was very well preserved. They said he was in his 40s and had the body of one of today's elite athletes.

EDIT - Okay no, they probably didn't exercise the way we do today, but that's just because they led a physically demanding life, which kept them in shape just by living it.

That's what I mean. They didn't set aside time to do specific exercises, they just did what their bodies were designed to so. I suppose it depends on what you do all day. I have quite a physical job, so I think of it as exercise. Laughing

Re flexibility, just things like reaching up, bending down, etc should be enough. Dancing is good - keeps you supple.

For the life of me, I can't see how things like squats work anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 pm

eddie wrote:Your body is designed to move, it’s designed to be made of muscle, not fat. Being fat isn’t good for you.

Movement keeps everything ticking over, without it, all sorts of problems start.

I agree, but doing exercise won't keep you slim - that's mostly down to diet and calorie intake. Some fat is natural, but huge stomachs are not good. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:37 pm

*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:

a

Otzi had hardening of the arteries and arthritis pius a few other things even after all that clmbering over moutains.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:49 pm

What's all that jogging about then? It's a sure way to get foot, knee, and hip problems IMO.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:54 pm

Hunter gathers would have been on the go all day, I'd imagine. And no Haribo either!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:55 pm

eddie wrote:Your body is designed to move, it’s designed to be made of muscle, not fat. Being fat isn’t good for you.

Exactly.

HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:

That's what I mean. They didn't set aside time to do specific exercises, they just did what their bodies were designed to so. I suppose it depends on what you do all day. I have quite a physical job, so I think of it as exercise. Laughing

Re flexibility, just things like reaching up, bending down, etc should be enough. Dancing is good - keeps you supple.

Anything that jars or overworks the joints is going to cause more wear and tear. It's a no brainer really. I remember watching an interview with Darcy Bussell, she said she has no cartilage left in her knees.

I hate jogging. My boobs have never been conducive to it. I'm built for comfort not speed.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:03 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Anything that jars or overworks the joints is going to cause more wear and tear.  It's a no brainer really.   I remember watching an interview with Darcy Bussell, she said she has no cartilage left in her knees.  

I hate jogging.  My boobs have never been conducive to it.  I'm built for comfort not speed.

Exactly - it's not good to overdo it, and I agree about the boob thing. I think jogging is a bit unnatural anyway. Walking or running fast is better - not that I run very fast these days. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:04 pm

Anyway, nobody is going to keep up that kind of exercise unless they love it. I have a friend who's always at the gym and out running, etc, but she loves it so it's not a chore.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:31 pm

You don’t need to go to the gym to keep fit and well.
You can do twenty minutes of body weight exercise whilst watching TV or cooking etc.

A lot of people’s skeletal and muscle aches and pains are due to improper use of the body.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:28 am

eddie wrote:You don’t need to go to the gym to keep fit and well.
You can do twenty minutes of body weight exercise whilst watching TV or cooking etc.

A lot of people’s skeletal and muscle aches and pains are due to improper use of the body.

But why should you need to do specific exercises? We should get all the exercise we need just doing normal things. Specific exercise is just a substitute for those normal things because a lot of people are so sedentary these days.

I like stretching exercises though - they do actually feel nice.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:39 am

bounce

"Body weight" exercises are often mostly anearobic exercises...

Body weight exercises for strength training have been around for yonks --  chinups, pull-ups, push-ups, dips, one-legged squats, "planks" and "bridges", isometrics and callisthenics..

You still need to include some 'aerobic' activity (e.g. bicycling, swimming, jogging/hill walking/running, aerobics/'jazzercise' routines, climbing --  anything that maintains an elevated heartrate for 25--30+ mins..), at least 3 or 4 times a week,  to help overall conditioning;  while complimentary stretching exercises helps with flexibilty/suppleness.

Yoga and Tai Chi type exercises can also help as well -- they all have their place..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:34 pm

You can exercise your right arm [or left] in the Pub !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:17 pm

nicko wrote:You can exercise your right arm [or left] in the Pub !

Cool

Just have to remember to swap hands every so often...

To balance up the results..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:You don’t need to go to the gym to keep fit and well.

But why should you need to do specific exercises? We should get all the exercise we need just doing normal things. Specific exercise is just a substitute for those normal things because a lot of people are so sedentary these days.

You sort of answered your own question - we need specific exercises because we don't get the exercise we need doing normal things.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:46 pm

*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You sort of answered your own question - we need specific exercises because we don't get the exercise we need doing normal things.

I think I get enough exercise doing normal things - apart from maybe not sprinting enough. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:

I think I get enough exercise doing normal things - apart from maybe not sprinting enough. Laughing

House work is enough to drive you into the ground.   By the time I've cleaned the bathroom, kitchen, living areas, hoovered the stairs, taken the dog out, prepped dinner, gone for a swim, I'm pretty puckled and that's before I even work.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down